What is your favorite song on Candy From A Stranger?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What is your favorite song on Candy From A Stranger?

Creatures of Habit
No votes
I Will Still Be Laughing
21%
Close
15%
See You Later
8%
No Time For Waiting
6%
Blood Into Wine
6%
Lies of Hate
No votes
Draggin' the Lake
2%
New York Blackout
10%
The Game
4%
Cradle Chain
27%

Total votes: 48

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

Re: What is your favorite song on Candy From A Stranger?

Post by stuck_in_the_90s »

I just got this album yesterday from a very nice friend who knew that I didn't have it. I've been listening to it nonstop and I love every song on it, which seems to be different from a lot of other people's opinions about it. I chose No Time For Waiting because I can't get that song out of my head, but I also love Draggin' the Lake and New York Blackout. I actually burst out singing some of these songs during gym today. I'm ecstatic.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

nicole! haven't seen you on here in awhile. so i just got this album too a few weeks ago and i also love it and was surprised after all the weird criticisms i read on here but whatever! i voted for cradle chain it's the one that got the most stuck in my head first. but i start singing all of them at random times.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

zany wrote:nicole! haven't seen you on here in awhile. so i just got this album too a few weeks ago and i also love it and was surprised after all the weird criticisms i read on here but whatever! i voted for cradle chain it's the one that got the most stuck in my head first. but i start singing all of them at random times.
Many of us found CFAS to be a disappointment, I was somewhat disappointed, but not because I didn't like the songs on it. The songs on it are great. The whole album is great, and I love it, but it just doesn't give the songs justice. The songs on it are so much better live (just like every SA song, but this time, the album versions seem to really be missing something). Of course, it doesn't help that they left the best songs off this album...

As for what's on it, I'll repeat Cradle Chain and Draggin' the lake as my favorites, although that changes sometimes.

Phil

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

so you're saying it's the musical interpretation or performance, and not the actual song as written on paper you don't like...?
hmmm well i like the way they're played on the album but not sure i've heard any of them live to compare to.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

I think that..the best way to decribe it, from where I'm stood anyway, is that the songs on CFAS sound weak. Live, they reveal themselves as much much more than their incarnations on the album.

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

If that's them weak, when are they at their strongest? Just asking, that really has nothing to do with the topic, sorry.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

stuck_in_the_90s wrote:If that's them weak, when are they at their strongest? Just asking, that really has nothing to do with the topic, sorry.
Live!
If, like me, you're not impressed by (or downright loath) them on the record, it's very likely you'll like (or at least tolerate) them live.

If you already like the songs on the record, you'll be blown away by them live.

I'd give my eye teeth to hear Cradle Chain live. I bet it's not in that....horrible grating whining PITCH it's in on the record. Such a great song if it only didn't make me feel like my ears were gonna bleed. I'd LOVE to hear it live.

Having said that, I'm probably the worst possible person on this board to ever offer up an opinion on ANY of their music, because I fully hate just as much of it as I like. I'm super critical of music in general, and even my favorite bands never enter the land of "do no wrong" by my ears. My opinions are probably really really skewed way off in one direction or other.

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

I guess I'll be really blown away because every time I decide I like a band, like you said, they can do no wrong. I LOVE every song on the album, and I really didn't choose my favorite, just the one that got stuck in my head first because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to vote.

mrock61
Stranger

Post by mrock61 »

Hello everybody, my first post here as a new member and a long time Soul Asylum fan. My favorite is always tough with their albums as sometimes it changes but right now I guess my pick would be NY Blackout having had a few, and been in a few myself.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

sheryl wrote:
stuck_in_the_90s wrote:If that's them weak, when are they at their strongest? Just asking, that really has nothing to do with the topic, sorry.
Live!
If, like me, you're not impressed by (or downright loath) them on the record, it's very likely you'll like (or at least tolerate) them live.

If you already like the songs on the record, you'll be blown away by them live.
Couldn't agree more. You probably won't believe it until you experience it yourself, but everything Sheryl said above is true.

There's one song I particularly hate in its album version which Soul Asylum has played at every show I attended this year. The live version has grown on me, but I still skip it when I play the CD.

There are songs I love on the album that just rip my heart out when I hear them live. And any high-energy song on the album is exponentially intensified in live performance. I've been buzzing with adrenaline for hours after every live show I've attended. (Ask poor Rusty. She had to listen to me rehash the St. Louis show into the wee hours of the morning because I was too keyed up to sleep. :) )

As Phil has said elsewhere, it's the live shows that convert you into a Soul Asylum addict who can't get enough.

Back on topic:
mrock61 wrote:Hello everybody, my first post here as a new member and a long time Soul Asylum fan. My favorite is always tough with their albums as sometimes it changes but right now I guess my pick would be NY Blackout having had a few, and been in a few myself.
:lol:

Welcome, mrock61. New York Blackout is my favorite, too, though perhaps for different reasons. ;)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)