What is your favorite song on Say What You Will?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What is your favorite song on Say What You Will, Clarence... Karl Sold the Truck?

Draggin' Me Down
7%
Long Day
No votes
Money Talks
No votes
Voodoo Doll
2%
Stranger
41%
Do You Know
No votes
Sick of That Song
5%
Religiavision
7%
Spacehead
No votes
Walking
5%
Broken Glass
20%
Masquerade
12%
Happy
No votes
Black and Blue
No votes

Total votes: 41

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

Masquerade by a mile, but Draggin Me Down sure is catchy!
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Re: What is your favorite song on Say What You Will?

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

I love this album!

I just got the reissue (Karl Sold the Truck) last Wednesday after having it on back order forever. From everything I've read (reviews as well as the comments here), I expected to barely tolerate or even outright dislike SWYW, especially since I joined the SA party in 1995 with LYDLS.

What a surprise! It's so much fun. I fell in love on my first listen. (To be honest, though, if I'd heard it in 1984, I would have thought it was just screaming over noise and hated it.)

There are several songs that stand out for me. "Religiavision" and "Black and Blue" are good songs.

I like "Sick of That Song" because it makes me laugh. Monolith Maniac, I love your new verse! It's clever, funny, and apt.

"Spacehead" makes me think of my favorite ex-boyfriend. He usually came off as a ditz in early acquaintance, but was actually smart and interesting -- "a spacehead" but not "a stupid head".

"Stranger" is the best song, no doubt. I really like it. It has such great lyrics -- and the sax.

"Masquerade" is my favorite, though, and got my vote. I love the sax, the brat-boy attitude, and that weird machine-gun staccato, almost-vibrato, shaky thing Dave does with his voice around the part where he says, "I certainly didn't invite you." (The attitude toward women could use adjusting in the form of a smack upside the head, but I'm willing to write it off as the belligerent ignorance of youth and just enjoy the song as is. :) )

But, what happened to the sax? Why did SA abandon the sax? :(
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Cordelia
Caged Rat

Post by Cordelia »

Oh that`s a bad question! And only one option ..... :oops:
I like all songs on this album. I love this album! That`s very hard.
I`ve clicked for "Broken Glass" because I`m listing it this time very much.
But if I could have more options I would click for "Walking" and "Stranger" too. But I like the live version "Stranger" more.
Many Greetings from Germany
yours Cordelia

foureyedsometimes
Runaway

Post by foureyedsometimes »

This is a great album, though I prefer the vinyl version over the longer CD, as those songs really belong on Time's Incinerator.
Stranger is obvioulsy the most catchy song, so can understand why it's getting the most votes, but maybe you all should listen to this more as the whole album is very worthwhile and there are so many great songs here. I voted for Religiavision, but it could easily have been Draggin or Masquerade, or Sick of That Song....
For me their 5th best album.
Can't put a square peg in a hole that's round.....

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

Post by stuck_in_the_90s »

I just bought this album(on iTunes) and right away I loved Walking. I really like the opening and really everything else about it. This album is awesome and I love every song on it, but Walking really stood out to me, Stranger did too, but for some reason I don't like it as much.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Religiavision at first thought. But I have to listen to it again because it's been ages since I've listened to this one.

mrock61
Stranger

Post by mrock61 »

I love Voodo Doll as well as the whole album. I think it is the most original of the first three they put out. As for the opening guitar riff, it is awesome and I love the dark lyrics as well. Very creative guitar and vocal work.