Blender Magazine

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
zany
Social Butterfly

Re: Blender Magazine

Post by zany »

jakob - i TOTALLY want that carpet now! sounds verrrry comfy.

oh and about the list of band names - that is the most random list of band names only half of them are 'really bad' according to me, and i can't believe they put metallica and the beatles on there. i don't know the arctic monkeys but i certainly like the name !! (darn wish i could put a monkey smiley face in here like the ones in the chat! well just picture that here! :) )

anyways, soul asylum is an ok band-name i thing but i have trouble thinking of the bandname as just a name now since i have such a strong association with the name to the band. (kinda like the beatles... you can't just think of the name and assess it being bad without connecting it to the real band in your head)

and they missed the dumbest band name ever (according to me at this moment in time cuz i just thought of it-my opinion is subject to change!):
THE BAND.
if they have "live" on the list they should also have "the band"

but jim you're right, it's at least nice to know somebody gave sa a second thought even if it was to assess the quaility of their name.

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Bad or not, most of those band names are pretty damn creative...eye-or-ear-catching definitely. I'm not saying that means they're appealing...but they are definitely different.

A name like Blender tells me this mag specializes in blended music that sounds the same...like watered down pop. Words like boring, blah, and cliche come to mind. :roll:
Monolith Maniac wrote:On a similar note regarding their name, does the name Soul Asylum roll off your tongue as almost one word; it does mine. Maybe its possibly from being how frequent I say it (maybe half a dozen times a days). :P
Yep...Soul Asylum's definitely been rolling off my tongue more...and as one word rather than two since I've been hearing and talking about them more and more.

Saying it as two words with a pause in between sounds a little odd to my ears now...almost as if a pause shouldn't be there...go figure why. :P

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Monolith Maniac wrote:On a similar note regarding their name, does the name Soul Asylum roll off your tongue as almost one word; it does mine. Maybe its possibly from being how frequent I say it (maybe half a dozen times a days). :P
Yes, I almost always pronounce it as "soulasylum." And it wasn't until I slowed down and put in the pause that I finally realized why the name describes their music perfectly. :)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

When I first heard of Soul Asylum, the name to me indicated that they were one of those angry bands that sing about bad relationships and suicide. I didn't think it was a bad name, but it gave me the wrong idea of what kinda band they were. And on two separate occasions when I brought them up in conversation I got the responses: "Are they a metal band?" and "That sounds like an emo band." Despite that, I really like their name. It seems really fitting for them. Even though the name has kinda lost meaning to me. I mean, I say/think their name so often, it's just sounds and letters anymore. Whenever I hear the phrase "insane asylum" I'm like, "What about Soul--? Oh nevermind."
Monolith Maniac wrote:On a similar note regarding their name, does the name Soul Asylum roll off your tongue as almost one word; it does mine. Maybe its possibly from being how frequent I say it (maybe half a dozen times a days).
warning: I'm about to start rambling
Because of the double S and L sounds, the two words just run together, so
it depends on who I'm talking to the way I say it. Since my friends and family are used to me mentioning them at least 10 times a day, I say it kinda fast and unintelligibly, but if I'm talking to someone who's never really heard of them before I try to say it carefully so they can understand me. Back in the summer when I first got into them, I told my parents, "We should go see Soul Asylum" and they were like, "sole a what?" and my dad even said, "What's the band called, sib-ih-side-um?" Yeah, I don't know what else to say so I'll stop now. I'm gonna go Google aniline dye. (don't ask)

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

That's so funny. The first thing I liked about them was their name! I thought Soul Asylum was a great band name! In fact, after my first trip to see them live, I was terribly unimpressed with them as a band, and I said countless times; "I really wish I liked them more. They have such a great name."

As for other names on the list, I think Pearl Jam has a great name, too. I like Blink 182 as a name just because I like the word "blink" lol.

I also always, for some reason, really dug the name Toad the Wet Sprocket, maybe just because it appealed to my appreciation of weird nonsense.

Kajagoogoo and Hoobastank though are awful.

I don't have a lot of room to talk or voice any opinions though. I once managed a band with the worst name ever created for a band. In fact, when my drummer for that band, met Dave for the first time, eons ago, Dave spent a great deal of time strongly suggesting that the band change it's name. He likened it to having some stupid nickname when you're a little kid, like pookie or poopa or something, that then followed you all the way to college. He spent a lot of time saying "really....that name. it's bad. it's really bad. you really should change that name." hahah.

I should make a contest or something. First one to guess what the name was......

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

sheryl wrote:I don't have a lot of room to talk or voice any opinions though. I once managed a band with the worst name ever created for a band. In fact, when my drummer for that band, met Dave for the first time, eons ago, Dave spent a great deal of time strongly suggesting that the band change it's name. He likened it to having some stupid nickname when you're a little kid, like pookie or poopa or something, that then followed you all the way to college. He spent a lot of time saying "really....that name. it's bad. it's really bad. you really should change that name." hahah.

I should make a contest or something. First one to guess what the name was......
You know that's gonna drive me crazy now! If you don't know, it will.

1. I love the name of the band.

2. Blender sucks big time. I've tried reading it even for interviews or something, and everytime I feel bad after I've read it. It's even worse for content than a tabloid. At least a tabloid leaves you thinking something. I'm a big magazine reader, but I can tolerate Details way better than Blender for light reading.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

you've seen it before :) it's been posted in my blog more than once. think really really terrible. it'll come to you.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Blender

Post by crawl »

K so I don't even know why we get the stupid magazine. No one here is paying for it that is for sure but in the recent Blender mag, my son Marc (13) pointed out that SA is on the list of worst band names ever.

Don't even get me started! Seriously, course they are on the same tracking line as the Beatles. But Blender refers to it as a cry baby name something that should be associated with a Dr. Phil day spa!

I would like to personally just thank SA for providing all the best benefits of a day spa (and I admit I like my spa time ALOT!) at a fraction of the cost! Those albums that keep on giving! And the work out at show that I can get for free often or under $30 (First Ave etc.) Cause I am a dancing fool! I am sure the cost at a day spa would be more like $300.

I guess it is good to actually hit the mag. But when are we going to hear Kill Each other on a radio station? Scot says it is not a "release" yet.

Have been enjoying a new Runaway disc I found at the local CD resale with DID my Best on it, and several more.

Looking for a song called. "Your much too Kind!" anyone have a copy of that yet?

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Re: Blender

Post by sheryl »

There's actually a whole discussion about the blender bad names list. Somewhere on here.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Re: Blender

Post by crawl »

Sorry I took a quick look before I posted but did not see anything, guess I am really behind the times :geek: