New Songs! - Gravity, Into the Light, The Streets

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
spodiba
Social Butterfly

Re: New Songs! - Gravity, Into the Light, The Streets

Post by spodiba »

New songs!! Yay!
I like Into the Light the most, then The Streets, then Gravity. I agree with those of you who said that Gravity reminds you of their earlier work. Oh, and The Streets sounds like a Ramones song to me, which, in my book, is a good thing :D

LittleTooClean
Social Butterfly

Post by LittleTooClean »

I just found this video clip of "Into The Light " :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHVl9mzhYNI

Vicki
Lone Rider

Post by Vicki »

These songs are incredible......briliant :o ...perfect. :o ..excellent :o ... just.... Oh my god.... I love you guys... But gravity is the best... ;)

Jessi
Stranger

Post by Jessi »

All three songs make me smile, they sound like Soul Asylum is back.
Can't wait for the new album to come out. Any news on that?

Vicki
Lone Rider

Post by Vicki »

But I have feel that gravity and the streets are little bit similar- in one part...

GraveDancer
Runaway

Post by GraveDancer »

:shock: eesh. STREETS is the only thing close to being a keeper out of those 3.

SA had the perfect chance to rock out with songs like this back in the day when they were younger..I would have really been excited over this material if it were 1988 -1993. Now they are just coming across like my Dad's drunk garage band trying to sound young and hip in a "look, we can hang with green day and sum 41" kinda way.

Back when they could've made an impact with what they do best ( bash-n-rock out) they chose to steer clear of the that and focus on the acoustic oriented crap. now they are just too old to be playing this.

Why stop massaging Dave's ego now? why no more boring acoustic tracks?
it's too late to rock now boys. the core audience is old and on Xanax now.
THIS is the perfect time to pull out the acoustic and bore us! kids are too smart to fall for this "power/pop" crap. They have a more youthful source of bands who do it from the heart and are much better at it.

Stick to what you do best. making gentle music for suicidal milfs and time warp nerds still clutching "dim light"

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Really? ^

Well, each to their own... I think the Streets is the weakest songs out of those three, and the other two are typical Soul Asylum uptempo rock songs and I'm digging them a lot... and I can be objective enough, if I didn't like them I'd say it too. The Sum 41/Green Day comparison is a bad call, though.

I think the last thing that the band is trying to do is make music for the masses and to sell... they are making the music they want to make (as I think they always have), so I'm not sure where you are coming from with that post.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

I'm not going to argue with you because frankly I don't care, but I don't think there's any sort of code for what music from middle-aged men should sound like. Lyrically their music has grown with them over the past 28 years, and musically it still sounds great. I don't think musicians ever outgrow loud, fast-paced music if that's what they like to play.

Dave obviously enjoys writing and playing this music. I don't think he's going to look in a mirror anytime soon and think, "Gosh, I'm too old to play songs like Gravity and Into the Light. What was I thinking? We oughta go back to acoustics 'cuz we're old now." I think he's just going to go on playing what he likes to play, and we the audience are going to keep enjoying it. I'm sorry you don't like the new songs, but that's your loss.

Okay, I guess I did argue with you but, whatever, I'm sorry you don't like the new songs. The rest of us sure do!

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

AlyssaJones wrote:I'm not going to argue with you because frankly I don't care, but I don't think there's any sort of code for what music from middle-aged men should sound like. Lyrically their music has grown with them over the past 28 years, and musically it still sounds great. I don't think musicians ever outgrow loud, fast-paced music if that's what they like to play.

Dave obviously enjoys writing and playing this music. I don't think he's going to look in a mirror anytime soon and think, "Gosh, I'm too old to play songs like Gravity and Into the Light. What was I thinking? We oughta go back to acoustics 'cuz we're old now." I think he's just going to go on playing what he likes to play, and we the audience are going to keep enjoying it. I'm sorry you don't like the new songs, but that's your loss.

Okay, I guess I did argue with you but, whatever, I'm sorry you don't like the new songs. The rest of us sure do!
What she said. I don't care how old the guys are, they should play whatever the hell they want to play. They had their acousitic period (particularly when dave's hearing was bad), but now they're back on the rock. I don't see anything remotely wrong with it. Rock is what works best for them, Catoon era hooks are amazing no matter if Dave and Dan are 25 or 50. They're just awesome songs, and the new stuff fits with it. I'd much rather see a band still writing new stuff in their "old age" that is rocking then to just play their rocking stuff in concert, and do nothing in recordings. Thte new stuff fits right along everything SA has done the past 10 years, and I'll gladdly stand by that.

Phil

jasonC
Caged Rat

Post by jasonC »

They are all freaking great songs and I hope every one of them makes the new record. Sum 41 have never come close to making a song as good as The Streets and Soul Asylum are just flat out better than Green Day, dont know where the comparisons came from but anyway.