Hang Time Era Mix Tape

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Asylunt
O'Jeezer

Hang Time Era Mix Tape

Post by Asylunt »

So I have to share this with you all. I work for 1-800-GOT-JUNK in the Minneapolis area; basically people need to get rid of a bunch of crap fast, so they call us and we come out and haul it away and they pay us for this service. Now I won't go into much detail of all the cool stuff I find at work($3000 cash, Diamond rings worth equally as much, Big Screen HD tv that works great, etc.), but I did a job where I got an old rocker's bootleg tape collection. Lots of good stuff, Dylan, Stones, Doors, stuff like that.

I also found what I thought at first to be a cassette copy of Hang Time. But the label had this wierd DIY feel to it, and the cassette was just a Maxell. I open it up and see a hand written track list and that the label was made out of some poster board style promotional card, it is folded and cut to fit the Maxell case and a small cutout of what appears to be a similar promotional posterboard of the "Soul Asylum" from "And the Horse they Rode in On" artwork, is taped to the front.

I'll try and get some pics of the cover and some samples of the tracks up soon, but it is live material from that era mixed with rarities and album tracks from Hang time, Say What You Will, and Made To be Broken towards the end. The live stuff might not all be from one performance, as it cuts between each song with a few sounding like they do sync up and others I couldn't tell one way or not. Sound quality is different on several tracks. I have a decent Fisher Tape deck and a Yamaha Natural Sound Amplifier and it sounds good. Some sound better and others sound not so good, I'm not sure if it's the tape or the recording or my system. It's really cool to listen to because Karl's bass is really loud in the mix and it showcases him well during that era. Lotta energy in some of these tracks.

This is my Transcription of the handwritten track list part:

Soul Asylum
12-25-91
Freaks
School Daze(really To Sir With Love)
Marionette
Something Out Of Nothing
Sometime to Return
Little Too Clean
Closer to the Stars
Growing Pain
Standing in the Doorway
Cartoon
your guess is as good as mine(I'm certain it's a cover, I don't remember what it was, I listened to the tape yesterday, but it wasn't bad.)
Marionette
Beggers and Choosers
Ode
Never Really Been(is broken and on the beginning of side B of the tape, not much is missing though.)
Another World, Another Day
Chevy Van
Couldn't begin to tell you(it's a cover of Sonic Reducer)
James at 16 (Heavy Metal) (<--That is his parenthesis, this is the same as the Standing in the Doorway Vinyl B-side)
(The next few appear to be the album tracks of these songs)
Freaks
Carry On
No Man's Land
Crashing Down
The Judge
Sun Don't Shine
Closer to the Stars
Can't Go Back
^
{can't go back}
<{can't go back}

Happy 22 Birthday
Forbsie !

from
Slow(this is written like a signature so I could be misreading that.)

So I looked around a little to find that show date listing, couldn't find much info out for the date. Was there a Christmas show in 91? Or is that this Forbsie guy's B-day? Any help? I'll get a few samples up to help identify it. If it's something that isn't already out there I'll convert it and make files or cds for trade or B & P. If I get it all converted, is there a certain tracker I should use for the Torrent. I know I can use any, but just wondered if I could get a little newb help with finding a good place to trade stuff like this, and where there would be others to eventually seed.

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

awesome find, and story!!!

To the best of my knowledge, there was no show on xmas in 1991.

However, on Dec 22nd 1991 at the Uptown Bar, there was a suprise type show that was billled as "21 Candles" and was a birthday party for Chrissie Dunlap (Slim's daughter) 21st b-day. It was a Dave and Dan headlining gig playing acoustic (Martin Zellar and Randy Broughton opened). I doubt those live tracks you have are from this show.

And the following day, 12-23-91, Dave and Dan again played an acoustic set at First Ave for the "Twin Cities Homeless Benefit". Not sure if they opened up for someone or headlined. But bootleg tapes exist from this concert, but they are not same live tracks you have. Then the next time they played was on New Years Eve at the Hyatt (I was at that one).

Oh, just checked the setlist archives and those live tracks look real similiar to a show on June 24th 1988 in Boston. A show that was also a FM b'cast. Which would mean that song you called "your guess is as good as mine" might be "Right Place, Wrong Time". Does this ring a bell?

Also, what you have (for these live tracks) might very well be just a mix of different sources, and not a complete show

There's mnay trackers out there, bootcity.org, thetradersden, dimeadozen to just to name a couple
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

Asylunt
O'Jeezer

Post by Asylunt »

Hmm, yeah, that "your guess is as good as mine" is "Right place, Wrong Time". The tape is probably a recording of that broadcast with a few bonuses. I probably won't convert it then, I'll enjoy it as it was meant to be enjoyed, a cassette. It's cool cause I don't have my Standing in the Doorway single anymore so I hadn't heard James at 16 for awhile. Great stuff, it's funny but that medley is burned into my head pretty deeply. I was singing along and not missing a beat. I can hear it right now, ahh. It's Rock N' Roll in my head!!! Ok.

Rock out ya'll.