How did you get into Soul Asylum?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Nina
Marionette

Re: How did you get into Soul Asylum?

Post by Nina »

Let Your Dim Light Shine have many of my favorite songs on it so that might be my next buy :) Thank you for the welcome. Sorry for making this so off topic! Guess I'm just happy that I can talk with other fans. I'm sure my friends are sick of hearing me talk about SA :lol:

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Welcome to the site Nina. I ended up clicking on that Amazon link before I read the next post. As soon as I got there, I saw you spared no time purchasing it... a very true devoted fan you already are! :D
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Nina
Marionette

Post by Nina »

Thank you :D I get very devoted when I really like a band.

I was out with a couple of friends last weekend and asked the DJ if he could play Runaway Train. He said I was 20 years late. I told him that song will never get old and walked away planning my next move. So I got other people to ask for the song too and he finally played it. Victory! :lol:

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Nina wrote:So I got other people to ask for the song too and he finally played it. Victory! :lol:
That's the coolest thing I've heard all day. You should look into a career in astroturfing. ;)
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Welcome to the board nina, glad you could find us, and that you're enjoying the band!!!

Just wanted to put a note, that I wouldn't be too concerned about buying used instead of new, and it changing the royalties, etc. First, it's a non-issue with an album like Candy From a Stranger, as I imagine the band still owes money on it, and unless they sell a TON more copies, the band members themselves won't see any royalties from it.

Also, the used marketplace supports a band in other ways. First, it means one less used copy is available, so someone else might have to buy a new copy instead, but more importantly, many people are more likely to buy CDs when they know they can always sell it back if they don't like it. I think it's wonderful that people are able to do that, and personally I buy the vast majority of my music used. The only stuff I tend to buy new are new releases which I want the day they come out. So for many of my favorite bands, I'll be buying the album new. The other option is for bands that sell CDs at their concerts, and actually have reasonable prices on them (often $10). There I'll often buy any older albums I don't have, or if it's an opening band I just heard that day (and liked them), I might buy one or two of their albums. Used CDs serve a very important purpose, and I know there are many many bands that I've bought more than a couple new CDs from that I'd likely never have bought anything by if I couldn't have bought one of their albums used before. I will often make more impulsive purchases on a band I've heard about if the album is under $6 or so. If I really like the band, I'll likely be buying anything new they release, so it's a win-win for the artist.

Phil

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Hello Nina and welcome to the site!

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Nina wrote:Guess I'm just happy that I can talk with other fans. I'm sure my friends are sick of hearing me talk about SA :lol:
That's how I ended up here. My friends told me to find a fan site because they were sick of hearing me talk about SA so much. Welcome, Nina.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

Nina wrote:walked away planning my next move. So I got other people to ask for the song too and he finally played it. Victory! :lol:
Way to go, Nina!

I'm glad to see another fan that is inspired to do everything they can to make something SA related happen for them :D

dells
dells

Look into your heart before it sees its final hour
Live today like there is no tomorrow
- wise advice from the brilliant Dave Pirner

Nina
Marionette

Post by Nina »

Thanks everyone :)

Phil - I'm not too worried about buying used if that is my only option. At least I've payed money for it. Too many people these days just download music they want illegally.

Dells - Someone had to get the DJ to play some good music :lol:

Karlwerneth
Caged Rat

Post by Karlwerneth »

I first heard of Soul Asylum around 1987 when a cute young girl asked if I've heard of them. I was listening to the smiths and a bunch of other stuff at the time. Not untill 1991 my sister had an MTV 120 minutes compilation which had sometime to return on it which I loved. So when gdu came out I was slow to realize it was the same band. Somebody to shove was the first tune I heard off of it and didn't grab me... Maybe the video? I don't know. Then I heard black gold on the radio and I thought it was unique. Bought the album and became an addict :lol: Listened to it a lot and bought the whole back catalog including times incinerator :D and to this day tell everyone how great they are. This band helped me through the difficult teen years like many of you and still help me to this day!! Thanks to Soul Asylum and thanks to you for being like minded people!!! Cheers.