Very Best of Soul Asylum out 01/25 - String of Pearls

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
triumph3434
Social Butterfly

Re: Very Best of Soul Asylum out 01/25 - String of Pearls

Post by triumph3434 »

LOL, best spaming ever.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

lol, that's hilarious. Don't even delete it, it's too funny :P

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Now that's just uncanny! Sometimes I get a creeping feeling that those spam bots will soon be smart enough to take over the world.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

Singularity. It's coming!
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

loky1179
Stranger

Post by loky1179 »

Ok, I can't resist . . . You've listened to String of Pearls, and it bothers you that . . the timeline doesn't make sense?????

I'm not quite sure how you could enjoy ANY Soul Asylum Song if you're reading the lyrics as if they were written down by an accountant filling in a timesheet! String of Pearls is one of my favorite songs - I always felt that the song was kind of a free association type thing, where one line was randomly linked to the next. But of course not so randomly. Killer lines - "When they got together the knowledge is carnal", "He sweeps everything under the rug and goes home to his kids and gives them a hug". "Death was one thing, but women made him nervous".

Great observation, triumph3434 - I'm sure Dave spent less time writing the song than we've spent commenting on it - which is why we listen to songs he writes. Many a great song has been conceived of in a flash.

Seriously though, how can you enjoy the songs if you listen to them on a literal level? I remember reading a review of the Silver Lining in City pages or somewhere - before I bought the album - and the reviewer just ripped into Oxygen. "Who gets shock treatments anymore" the reviewer said. And he was right - not many people get shock treatments nowadays. But people certainly get Prozac and Ritalin and Zoloft and Wellbutrin and Abilify - when maybe a vote of confidence would do. As a society, we go for the easy quick fix - because getting to know someone, and really understanding their problems is just too much work. Despite the reviewers comments, he is wrong - Oxygen is a GREAT song!

But perhaps the reviewers reaction is the reason why The Silver Lining did not achieve greater success than it did. As Dave has said, he continually overestimates the intelligence of his audience.

triumph3434
Social Butterfly

Post by triumph3434 »

Oxygen is an Amazing song.

pearljewelry

Post by pearljewelry »

no doubt its really the best of Soul Asylum

mrsromek
Inmate

Post by mrsromek »

Oxygen is a great song. I've never been a fan of String of Pearls.