Very Best of Soul Asylum out 01/25 - String of Pearls

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Closer
Social Butterfly

Re: Playlist: The Very Best of Soul Asylum out 01/25

Post by Closer »

spodiba wrote:
CrazyLittleWoman wrote: Does the release of a "Very Best" compilation mean that the record company is trying to jog people's memories about the band right before a NEW CD comes out? Or is that just wishful thinking?
:o I never thought of this. I like the way you think. I agree, there could be more to it than meets the eye
Hopefully... does anyone on here actually know a little bit more about this? Seeing as they definitely didn't make spring 2010 as been said before, spring 2011 doesn't seem that likely anymore either.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Re: Playlist: The Very Best of Soul Asylum out 01/25

Post by philipgar »

Closer wrote:
spodiba wrote:
CrazyLittleWoman wrote: Does the release of a "Very Best" compilation mean that the record company is trying to jog people's memories about the band right before a NEW CD comes out? Or is that just wishful thinking?
:o I never thought of this. I like the way you think. I agree, there could be more to it than meets the eye
Hopefully... does anyone on here actually know a little bit more about this? Seeing as they definitely didn't make spring 2010 as been said before, spring 2011 doesn't seem that likely anymore either.
My guess is spring 2014, they have to keep up their 8 year gaps.

Phil

triumph3434
Social Butterfly

Re: Very Best of Soul Asylum out 01/25 - String of Pearls

Post by triumph3434 »

Ive got some Comments

1. They should make an Essential Dave Pirner CD. Smog stuff, SA stuff, Solo Stuff.... Good idea huh? Dan has enough for one too.
Speaking of Dan, a lot of my favorite SA songs are Dans songs.

2. 40 years in String of Pearls... I dont think the Story jumps 40 years, I think the president story is just a sidebar. "by the way, in the future they become president". Next line is, "signs HIS name takes the blame". If he was still 40 years in the future and talking aobut the siamese twins he wouldnt use the word HIS, because there are two of them..... Also, the last line says the necklace broke last night, so the entire song took one day. I think the Siamese twins becoming presidnt was just a sidebar... But then Who is it who signs his name and takes the blame? The Doctor?

3. Blue Harvest, can we get an analysis of Pirners "Faces and Names"? That one is even more crazy than SOP. Cmon, lets hear it. I think we should open discussion on that song as well.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

triumph3434 wrote:40 years in String of Pearls... I dont think the Story jumps 40 years, I think the president story is just a sidebar. "by the way, in the future they become president". Next line is, "signs HIS name takes the blame". If he was still 40 years in the future and talking aobut the siamese twins he wouldnt use the word HIS, because there are two of them..... Also, the last line says the necklace broke last night, so the entire song took one day. I think the Siamese twins becoming presidnt was just a sidebar... But then Who is it who signs his name and takes the blame? The Doctor?
I originally thought the same thing, but then j's post, and some others had me rereading the lyrics, and realized that I think time does go forward. It looks like the president is the siamese twins taking the blame or whatever.

But I think he point about the necklace that broke late last night has to do with the whole time is cyclcal thing. Every event is a pearl on the necklace, and at the end, we return to the first pearl, and the string of pearls was never really broken...

Phil

SleazyStreet
Stranger

Post by SleazyStreet »

Well, All Music Guide seems to like the compilation. 4 out of 5 stars.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/playlist- ... m-r2104766

triumph3434
Social Butterfly

Post by triumph3434 »

This thread has put 1,000 times more thought into the lyrics than Dave ever did when he wrote it.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

@phil "but in what universe is Dave normal?" That is priceless! :lol: Also have to join in on the Love Pearl side, Scot handles the hate side at our house.

HUH! that was said before but I agree. Guess I will have to get a copy....

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

triumph3434 wrote:This thread has put 1,000 times more thought into the lyrics than Dave ever did when he wrote it.
Hahaha, yeah, I thinks so too :D

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

Faces and names is just an allegory for life. Pretty simple.

Party in a burning building with fair weather friends you'll never see again.

My very favorite of Dave's writing.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

pearlnecklace

Post by pearlnecklace »

Pearl necklace are readily available in the internet. Most designers and jewelry manufacturers nowadays are popularizing or bringing back to the limelight the.
www.pearlnecklaceshop.com