Very Best of Soul Asylum out 01/25 - String of Pearls

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Re: Playlist: The Very Best of Soul Asylum out 01/25

Post by Judgmental Patient »

SleazyStreet wrote:Looks like it clocks in at 53:40.

Just curious, if you were compilation producer, what would your 14 track SA Playlist look like?
1) Somebody To Shove
2) Tied To The Tracks
3) Stranger
4) Nice Guys (Don't Get Paid)
5) All Is Well
6) Cartoon
7) Chains
8) Misery
9) Miracle Mile
10) Ain't That Tough
11) Without A Trace
12) Sometime To Return
13) Runaway Train
14) Oxygen
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

sorry i just have to agree with blueharvest on the pearl thing. i at first liked the song and thought 'how cool' then i listened more carefully and when i discovered what he mentioned: the 40+ year time gap that makes it all not make sense anymore i got SOOO annoyed! not sure why i let it get to me but i did!!! anyways i usually skip over that song now when i play LYDLS because it still bugs me.

the rest of the arguments don't bother me as much but that time thing really really does!

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

zany wrote:sorry i just have to agree with blueharvest on the pearl thing. i at first liked the song and thought 'how cool' then i listened more carefully and when i discovered what he mentioned: the 40+ year time gap that makes it all not make sense anymore i got SOOO annoyed! not sure why i let it get to me but i did!!! anyways i usually skip over that song now when i play LYDLS because it still bugs me.

the rest of the arguments don't bother me as much but that time thing really really does!

I had never thought much about the 40 year time gap, but actually in reflecting upon it, it does make sense with the song, in that things are cyclical. It's kind of showing how every little thing becomes interrelated. The pearls at the end aren't necessarily the pearls from the beginning, at least if i'm thinking about it properly. I think part of the point of the story is how everybody is connected to everybody else, from the lowest (the prostitute) to the highest (the president), and how things repeat themselves. The story is a full cycle, and takes place over 40+ years I suppose, but does that make it any less? Sure no one in it is fleshed out, but no one in any song really is (except for maybe aqualung, but you don't need to know much about that guy to get the full picture).

Thinking about the song from a normal persons point of view doesn't necessarily make sense, but in what universe is Dave normal? I think calling him scatterbrained puts it very gently, and the song is fairly scatterbrained. It's all over the place, but in the end it gets back to where it started, and shows some form of order in the chaos. Not sure if my interpretation has any meaning whatsoever, but it's an abstract song, and I personally have always liked it.

Sure some of the lines were made for convenient rhymes, but come on, rhyming urinal and funeral is one of my favorite davisms ever! Although at this point I'd rather see Nice Guys in concert (just because i've always loved it, and have yet to see it), I don't know for sure if I'd put it above SoP or not. It's a tough one, and I think there really is a lot of love for SoP on this board from many of us.

Phil

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

Phil beat me again in making a point I'd planned to write about :)

When I tried to be brief in stating that the song does make sense, I didn't mean in a literal line by line sense, I meant that it makes sense when thought of as I think of it, a story about a series of events that are actually connected in some way and end up telling an intriguing tale, not necessarily a story, but a tale. The point the song makes is that events and people can be connected together in one way or another.

As Phil said, the string of pearls that bookend the tale are probably not the same one, (unless the listener chooses to believe a time warp is involved, which they certainly can, if they want to, lol); but somehow all these events that make up the tale end up linked to both of them, whether or not a time warp is involved ;P.

I still have 1 idea that hasn't been covered yet, & I'm rather happy that I get to still voice an original interpretation/defense of the song, lol.

IMO, the title String of Pearls doesn't refer to the necklaces that bookend the tale, but, instead, actually refers to the series of individual events that make up the tale, they are each a "pearl" on the string of interconnected events that make up the tale.

String of Pearls is definitely not for everyone, which is why I said that Nice Guys would be the best choice for a story song, but that I could live with String, if necessary, because the playlist compilation should have included a story song, and while String probably does turn some people off, at the same time, it's abstract, mind bending quality really appeals to others so it could have worked on a compilation, especially since it's still often played at shows, while Nice Guys isn't (I'm hoping it will make occasional appearances again now, now that they made the effort to dust it off for me for the 2008 holiday show)

Definitely the best way to fire up the forum is to debate ultimate compilations and dream setlists, lol, so although lots of us obviously don't agree with the playlist that was put out, welcome to the fan community, Sleazystreet, and try to forgive us for passionately disagreeing with a compilation that claimed to be the "very best of" and "truly represent an artists' complete body of work" and "The fan favorites everyone loves". Those are bold claims that the playlist compilation just doesn't live up to.

btw, I do agree that covers are an integral part of the live experience, and are often what make a particular show into a special experience, and are enjoyable inclusions as bonus tracks on CD singles, however, I think a "best of" compilation should focus on the artist's own original work, and esp should have been replaced by SA material if space was limited to 14 tracks.

If I were asked to tweek the playlist, here are my edits:

01. Never Really Been (Live)
02. Cartoon
03. Easy Street
04. Somebody To Shove
05. Runaway Train
06. By The Way - replaced by Closer to the Stars (live from last 10 years)
07. Black Gold
08. Sexual Healing - replaced by We 3 (either live or original album cut)
09. Misery
10. Without A Trace (Live)
11. Just Like Anyone
12. When I Ran Off & Left Her - replaced by Stranger (live from last 10 years)
13. I Will Still Be Laughing (Live) - replaced by Marionette (either live or original album cut)
14. Stand Up And Be Strong - replaced by Sometime To Return (either live or original album cut)

The track order could probably use some adjustments, given the swapped tracks

I'd like to keep Laughing, or better yet, swap it with Cradle Chain, but if limited to just 14 tracks... Marionette wins over anything from Candy.

O.K. I've explained my original defense of poor lil String of Pearls, and even managed to bring my post back to the original topic, so it's time for me to shut up and go back to my vampire book, lol.

carry on, my passionate fellow inmates :D

dells
dells

Look into your heart before it sees its final hour
Live today like there is no tomorrow
- wise advice from the brilliant Dave Pirner

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

dells wrote: I still have 1 idea that hasn't been covered yet, & I'm rather happy that I get to still voice an original interpretation/defense of the song, lol.

IMO, the title String of Pearls doesn't refer to the necklaces that bookend the tale, but, instead, actually refers to the series of individual events that make up the tale, they are each a "pearl" on the string of interconnected events that make up the tale.
Crap, I can't believe I left out the part about string of pearls being a metaphor when I wrote up my defense of it. I had thought about that last night when I was thinking up what to write (I often do that), but forgot to include it in my actual post I made tonight. Oh well, looks like a couple of us see that though!

Phil

blueharvest
O'Jeezer

Post by blueharvest »

crap. i just wrote a huge reply and somehow it got fried. Oh well, here goes again.

Well put Phil and Dells. Your interpretations are are equally valid and give a lot to think about. I can definitely see the metaphor of the string of pearls. I would change one thing in your theory though. I would say that the pearls are actually the characters and not the events. However, I'm still not convinced that this metaphor salvages the song. It seems that in some of the cases, especially the first prostitute and the driver, that the connections in the string are really really incidental and coincidental. They are barely in the same place at the same time, mere seconds and their actions don't really influence each other. The "story" moves on from each character so quickly that there is no time for anything of significance to happen, to show that these connections have meaning. It just leaves me with a feeling of "so what?". But, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one I guess. I have really enjoyed the debate though!

Story songs: We3, Ode, Artificial Heart are also great examples of SA story songs.

Back to topic. Obviously the record companies that control the rights to the SA back catalogue have their own motives when selecting songs for a "best of". What would help the band more? Personally, I think a truly retrospective collection of songs that represents every era of the band and also all the styles and genres the band has traveled through over their (holy crap!) 30 years. Here's my list widdled down to 14 tracks that I think best represent what I said above. By no means do I think this is their actual best 14 songs, but perhaps they could help a new listener to understand what SA have been and are about.

1- Nowhere to Go (early pre-SA track that really shows the band's goofy lack of seriousness while getting down to some serious punk rock)
2- Broken Glass (another more hardcore song but with just enough melody and pop power to keep in line with later SA)
3- Stranger (Great way of highlighting Dave's "slice of life" character writing and also the multi-instrumental sound that pops up from time to time)
4- Freaks (great tune that also has a great example of the "art breaks" that Dave would often throw into his tune (you can hear another few great examples in Down on up to Me and Black Gold))
5- Closer to the Stars (because it kicks every kind of ass the space-time continuum has ever known. I know the album version gets no love so I would choose the live "Welcome to the Minority" version; all electric, all killer!)
6- Cartoon (One of Dan's best SA tunes *one of the best SA tunes period) and also the ultimate display of Dave and Dan's double lead vocal. Also uses unorthodox song structuring which is a hallmark of early SA)
7- Marionette (Pure Pop Power)
8- Artificial Heart (Amazing story song and puts Karl (RIP) front and center, where he belongs)
9- We3 (Great ballad. Has the movie soundtrack connection and shows off the piano based songs that unfortunately usually only are b-sides)
10- Runaway Train (The biggest hit. Perfect example of SA's more acoustic side and commercial power)
11- Without a Trace (Showcases the Acoustic/Electric mix that was commonly associated with the band at the time.)
12- Caged Rat (I'll probably get some flak for this one but no other track shows off the band's truly bizarre side better than this.
13- Bus Named Desire (Proof the band has not lost it. Brings the rock bigtime)
14- James at 16 (covers and medleys are an integral part of the band's live show, so why not throw on the ultimate cover/medley?)

Here's to the continuing debate!

J

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

blueharvest wrote: 6- Cartoon (One of Dan's best SA tunes *one of the best SA tunes period) and also the ultimate display of Dave and Dan's double lead vocal. Also uses unorthodox song structuring which is a hallmark of early SA)
One quick question here... You cite Cartoon as one of Dan's best SA tunes.... Uh, which one is better? I mean all his songs are pretty awesome, but Cartoon, WOW, such an awesome song, it really is one of the quintessential Soul Asylum songs... It's funny now that the fleeting fame had faded away from the band, this may be the song they're remembered for more than anything. I've heard more than a couple bands cover this song with the same love and respect shown in covers of Can't Hardly Wait, American Girl, Born To Run etc... It's just a classic American song...

Hell if I had to compile a list of the best rock and roll tunes ever, I don't think it's much of a stretch for Cartoon to be right up there.

I won't consider it my favorite soul asylum song, I love it, but there are others I like more. But when it comes to my favorite soul asylum Rock and Roll song, I can't really go anywhere else... I mean sure all their songs are rock and roll, but that one just defines the genre in so many ways!

Phil

blueharvest
O'Jeezer

Post by blueharvest »

Hahahaha! Damn good point Phil! I have no idea why i wrote that the way I did. Cartoon IS Dan's best tune. Got a lot of love for all his stuff though. He's got a higher batting average than Dave. Nowhere to Go, Can't go Back, Long Way Home, Gullible's Travels, Promises Broken, Blood into Wine, Reflections on Me, Forever and a Day. Wow! All awesome.

J

SleazyStreet
Stranger

Post by SleazyStreet »

Just want to say, first and foremost, a mighty thank you to all responses. This forum is awesome! It's always great to hear the open exchange of ideas and opinions about the lil ol' band from Minneapolis! America rules! All very solid and passionate points made here.

As indicated upthread, the optimistic hope is that the Playlist provides an economical and introductory key to the Soul Asylum warehouse. As we heartfelt fans all know, some of the post TT/A&M stuff may not be the "very best" of the band, it may "ring a bell" to the uninitiated. Crass marketing 101? Of course. But if it helps support the work of our dudes, we'll compromise that, right?

For example, as much as it may tug at our heartstrings, we ain't gonna chuck "The Snake" at 'em first, right?

See you all in the discussion ring later!

blueharvest
O'Jeezer

Post by blueharvest »

hahahaha! The Snake!!! What an awesome tune. Pure screwball SA! Love it!

J