can't even tell...

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
CULater
Caged Rat

Re: can't even tell...

Post by CULater »

Speaking of Soundtrack songs - what did you guys think of the one from the "So I Married An Axe Murderer" movie, "The Break"?

I myself liked it a lot, but then again I can't think of any songs that I don't enjoy to some extent... :)
"I've learned to accept and not to expect - the respect and neglect that I get. And I try not to forget about what hasn't happened yet.....""

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Yep, The Break, that's on my list of would-love-to-hear-live songs...

-Rob

blueharvest
O'Jeezer

Post by blueharvest »

I'm not a huge fan of "the Break". I think it's Dave's vocal that I find a bit irritating on it. The lead guitar sounds a bit too over-processed to my ears too, kinda like some of the stuff on "Candy". But I haven't actually listened to it in almost 10 years. I think I had a copy on a cassette way back when. But, yeah, I think that it would probably benefit from the live treatment.

J

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

A live version of Can't Even Tell is on the Promises Broken cd single I have.
blueharvest wrote:Phil,
I just remembered that there was an officially released live version as a b-side on one of the LYDLS singles (Just Like Anyone?) which was pretty awesome too. I'm not sure if that's from the show you mentioned. My CDs are on the other side of the planet at the mo. I'll be back there in a few weeks so I'll probably dig them up and rip a few more to my PC.

I seem to recall reading in an interview Dave saying that there were about 30 outtakes from LYDLS that were closer in style to Caged Rat than say, Eyes of a Child. I'm sure if SA had reached Beatles like levels of popularity, we would have seen "Anthology" sets with all these unreleased tunes, but at this point who knows who even controls the rights to all that stuff.

J

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:A live version of Can't Even Tell is on the Promises Broken cd single I have.
blueharvest wrote:Phil,
I just remembered that there was an officially released live version as a b-side on one of the LYDLS singles (Just Like Anyone?) which was pretty awesome too. I'm not sure if that's from the show you mentioned. My CDs are on the other side of the planet at the mo. I'll be back there in a few weeks so I'll probably dig them up and rip a few more to my PC.

I seem to recall reading in an interview Dave saying that there were about 30 outtakes from LYDLS that were closer in style to Caged Rat than say, Eyes of a Child. I'm sure if SA had reached Beatles like levels of popularity, we would have seen "Anthology" sets with all these unreleased tunes, but at this point who knows who even controls the rights to all that stuff.

J
I'm pretty sure that's the copy from the arragon ballroom. my promises broken single only has the song itself on it, as I think it was a dj copy. I should look for the regular one some time.

phil

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I bought the single because it had the "remix" of Promises Broken that had a slightly different sound from the cd version. Also, I was starting up my cd collection at the time, so I figured why not buy it.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

I wouldn't consider Can't Even Tell a punk rock song and it's a lot more radio friendly than some songs on LYDLS, so the reason it didn't make the album might be because it was used for a soundtrack already.

I love The Break, and it's funny that they got their break at the time they recorded that song but that it didn't make the album that made them big... hm... kinda wanna listen to the song now... I wish someone would upload it on youtube because now I have to look for the CD
Last edited by Closer on Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

CULater wrote:Totally agree with you here. Love this song. Perhaps because it was part of a soundtrack that prevented it from being on an album. Although
We 3 was part of a soundtrack......good question!
Yeah, but We 3 was given to a movie years after it was released on the actual album

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

Closer wrote:I wouldn't consider Can't Even Tell a punk rock song and it's a lot more radio friendly than some songs on LYDLS, so the reason it didn't make the album might be because it was used for a soundtrack already.

I love The Break, and it's funny that they got their break at the time they recorded that song but that it didn't make the album that made them big... hm... kinda wanna listen to the song now... I wish someone would upload it on youtube because now I have to look for the CD
The Break's not a bad song, but its tone would have been so wrong for GDU.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Judgmental Patient wrote:
Closer wrote:I wouldn't consider Can't Even Tell a punk rock song and it's a lot more radio friendly than some songs on LYDLS, so the reason it didn't make the album might be because it was used for a soundtrack already.

The Break's not a bad song, but its tone would have been so wrong for GDU.
You mean musically? I don't know... I've had a discussion before with someone about that on here... I think it would have fitted in better than some of the more aggressive songs on there, seeing as GDU was supposed to be an acoustic album, but I guess it's a matter of opinion... I just like the vocal melody a lot