Faces and Names

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
black manta
Marionette

Re: Faces and Names

Post by black manta »

blueharvest wrote:I'm sure Dave manages with the ladies just fine
I wouldn't be too sure of that. He's lost at least one, as Judith's avatar reminds. ;) And doesn't his bride sort of look like Winona a bit? Perhaps the character isn't too far off from the author, only the faces and the names rotate from decade to decade...
Miss Fitt 2 wrote:Dave performed "Back of a Car" and "In the Street."
I couldn't recall it initially, but when I googled Pirner and New Orleans for the name of the studio (Kingsway), that's when I saw the newspiece on the Chilton tribute. I swear it said he'd done "September Gurls". Are you certain?

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

black manta wrote:He's lost at least one, as Judith's avatar reminds. ;)

My avatar is actually an old JeanLoup Sieff photo of a not-famous model. The photo is cropped to eliminate the nudity.
black manta wrote:I couldn't recall it initially, but when I googled Pirner and New Orleans for the name of the studio (Kingsway), that's when I saw the newspiece on the Chilton tribute. I swear it said he'd done "September Gurls". Are you certain?
Not certain, since I wasn't there, but that was the report from one of my friends who was at the show.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

black manta wrote:
Miss Fitt 2 wrote:Dave performed "Back of a Car" and "In the Street."
I couldn't recall it initially, but when I googled Pirner and New Orleans for the name of the studio (Kingsway), that's when I saw the newspiece on the Chilton tribute. I swear it said he'd done "September Gurls". Are you certain?
Susan Cowsill did September Gurls, with Dave on guitar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-JPCz_iMGc
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

wasn't "faces and names" the song that when talking about it, dave mentions how he was influenced by "tangled up in blue" (dylan).? or was that a different way earlier song???

just mention it cuz previous comment said it was linear and , while i'm not currently re-reading or listening to the lyrics i thought i remember it had a little "non-linearity" to it.

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

zany wrote:wasn't "faces and names" the song that when talking about it, dave mentions how he was influenced by "tangled up in blue" (dylan).? or was that a different way earlier song???

just mention it cuz previous comment said it was linear and , while i'm not currently re-reading or listening to the lyrics i thought i remember it had a little "non-linearity" to it.
This reminds me, when I spoke to Dave after a show last year, I told him that his lyrics really spoke to me and basically thanked him for existing- really poured my heart out to the guy. In closing, I said, "oh- and your guitar solo (during "Whatcha Need") was awesome". And he replies, "yeah, that's what I used to tell Bob Dylan when I'd go see him. Your guitar solos are awesome, man."

Jackass. ;)

Anyway, I saw this thread after I spoke about Faces and Names in the SOP thread. Crosspost:
Judgmental Patient wrote:Faces and names is just an allegory for life. Pretty simple.

Party in a burning building with fair weather friends you'll never see again.

My very favorite of Dave's writing.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

black manta
Marionette

Post by black manta »

Just getting back to this now, sorry.
Miss Fitt 2 wrote:My avatar is actually an old JeanLoup Sieff photo of a not-famous model. The photo is cropped to eliminate the nudity.

Hm. Can't tell if you're being coy or bourgeois. Had you said the photographer was Bellocq, my statement still would stand as is. There are certain cultural winks which prevail from circle to circle, and that you chose a photograph from an acquaintance of Birkin and Gainsbourg (which still looks vaguely like Lydia Deetz) means little by way of "correction".

Shall we discuss Dave's penchant for wearing an Aquaman tee, knowing that Winona suffers from aquaphobia? Wouldn't it be funny if he still hit the theatres on her opening weekends? ;)

Thanks for the link to Susan Cowsill though. Always a fan of hers.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

There is a big difference between "confessional" songs and autobiographical songs. When in doubt, it's probably safest to assume a given song is merely confessional.

IMO, learning the literal autobiographical story behind a song often robs the lyrics of their emotional power and universality and turns the song into nothing more than gossip fodder.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

black manta
Marionette

Post by black manta »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:There is a big difference between "confessional" songs and autobiographical songs. When in doubt, it's probably safest to assume a given song is merely confessional.

IMO, learning the literal autobiographical story behind a song often robs the lyrics of their emotional power and universality and turns the song into nothing more than gossip fodder.
There's a big difference between being a crazylittleman and taking the piss online, too. ;) Given that Mr. Guitar Hero loves to be indulged with odes to his lyrical beatitudes, I consider it fair game to reference the Never Recover meme across an album he's boasted as his most vulnerable, personal work to date.

Can't speak for Soul Asylum, but your ears would burn if you heard what bands say about fans they spot travelling out of region to see them on a consistent basis. Gotta have a sense of humour.

Dave4Prez
Caged Rat

Post by Dave4Prez »

I thought Faces & Names was beautiful. It was authentic to Dave at that time. He obviously needed it. Short lived but nonetheless something he needed to 'share'. And man! I am SO GLAD SOMEONE FINALLY ACKNOWLEDGED HE IS MARRIED and although I am married, it closes that door for us even tighter LOL.
Cheers and much happiness to Dave, Karen and Elijah. xoxo

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

"Can't speak for Soul Asylum, but your ears would burn if you heard what bands say about fans they spot travelling out of region to see them on a consistent basis. Gotta have a sense of humour."

#1) I resemble that remark.

#2) Who cares? It is all about me! IDC what you or they think or say.... :D :lol: :D