Dave Grohl was approached by Soul Asylum

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
cujofats
O'Jeezer

Post by cujofats »

I had never heard this before so I thought I'd mention it. In the new issue of Uncut magazine (#126 Nov. 2007) there is an interview with Dave Grohl and he is aksed if anyone had approached him to drum for them after Nirvana came to an end, and he mentions Soul Asylum had wanted him to play drums for them. He goes on to list a few other artists and says he wanted to do something totally different.

disilluzion
O'Jeezer

Post by disilluzion »

Add Pearl Jam to that list. But he had already finished a demo tape and possibly the majority of the Foo Fighers' debut (he recorded the album on his own and found a band afterwards).
----- Original Message -----
To: forum_general@enterthesoulasylum.com (forum_general@enterthesoulasylum.com)
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 12:50 AM
Subject: Dave Grohl was approached by Soul Asylum

I had never heard this before so I thought I'd mention it. In the new issue of Uncut magazine (#126 Nov. 2007) there is an interview with Dave Grohl and he is aksed if anyone had approached him to drum for them after Nirvana came to an end, and he mentions Soul Asylum had wanted him to play drums for them. He goes on to list a few other artists and says he wanted to do something totally different.

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

fastlane
Stranger

Post by fastlane »

ya gotta give DG props for the career he has built for himself/his band. from behind the shadow of Kurt, and thru all the whining and complaining of Courtney.... the Foos have just cranked out album after album of good music. No bullshit, no complaining.

GraveDancer
Runaway

Re: Dave Grohl was approached by Soul Asylum

Post by GraveDancer »

Growing up in DC we were lucky enough to see DG all over town when he played w/ SCREAM - years before he joined Nirvana. I remember seeing Dave at a few Soul Asylum shows at the old 930 club while he was still a punk rock kid playing hardcore. The guy is a great drummer - but I dont know if he would work in SA. Michael Bland seems like the perfect fit.

samtheslug
Runaway

Post by samtheslug »

Even though, I'm a big fan of Grohl's drumming work - I doubt he'll work well with Soul Asylum.

blueharvest
O'Jeezer

Post by blueharvest »

Tom Petty also wanted DG to be the Heartbreakers' new drummer. He even went so far as to play with them on SNL back then. probably 94 or 95. I'm sure you could find it on youtube if you wanna see it

J

GraveDancer
Runaway

Post by GraveDancer »

Yep. And man, Grohl pounded the S out of the drums druing that performance. All I remember is they played "you dont know how it feels"
and thinking to myself...bring it down a notch dave.