The article on rollingstone.com

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
I Love Dim Light
Inmate

The article on rollingstone.com

Post by I Love Dim Light »

It's a short article about the future release:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... m-20110304

Closer
Social Butterfly

Re: The article on rollingstone.com

Post by Closer »

Sounds good, hopefully ''within the next 6 months'' will be accurate this time... I saw on the main page that they will be playing in South America again this summer, hopefully they will tour Europe this time around too... it's been about 15 years, so it's time.

msanto2
Stranger

Post by msanto2 »

Hope the come to Brazil this time.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

My sentiment still stands... I'll believe it when I'm holding the wax in my fingers....

Phil

Dave4Prez
Caged Rat

Post by Dave4Prez »

I was a little taken aback by Dave insinuating he is going out on his terms or something of that nature. I honestly can't even stomach the thought of not being able to see Soul Asylum live and in person. How do we tell these humans (well Gods in our eyes) how much they have impacted our lives? I bet most SA fans would agree that their music has seen us through hard times, challenged and changed our thoughts and minds.....I worship Dave and Dan and I think Tommy and Michael had huge shoes to fill and did it in stride. RIP Karl.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Dave didn't insinuate that he is going out on his own, and leaving behind the rest of the band. He said he is taking his time recording the vocals by himself in New Orleans. He probably doesn't need all the other guys around for that part.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Dave4Prez wrote:I was a little taken aback by Dave insinuating he is going out on his terms or something of that nature. I honestly can't even stomach the thought of not being able to see Soul Asylum live and in person. How do we tell these humans (well Gods in our eyes) how much they have impacted our lives? I bet most SA fans would agree that their music has seen us through hard times, challenged and changed our thoughts and minds.....I worship Dave and Dan and I think Tommy and Michael had huge shoes to fill and did it in stride. RIP Karl.
Come on... they're only humans... and I don't see them as anything more. Yeah, Dave has written some songs that have probably touched most of us over the years, but that doesn't make him better than anyone else in my book. I don't think the article contains much new information, they've been doing most on their own terms since the begin of this century basically... performing and recording inconsistently.

jasonC
Caged Rat

Post by jasonC »

This is great news. The three songs Ive heard are all good, I really dig The Streets. I don't care about record sales, airplay and bullshit like that but I sincerely hope this record does well enough that Soul Asylum is encouraged to keep doing what they do.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

jasonC wrote:This is great news. The three songs Ive heard are all good, I really dig The Streets. I don't care about record sales, airplay and bullshit like that but I sincerely hope this record does well enough that Soul Asylum is encouraged to keep doing what they do.
I hope it does sell, so that way they can play different places and not just rib festivals and what not. But I think a lot has also to do with promotion, and that didn't happen a lot for the Silver Lining. When I look at a band like the Foo Fighters who have an album coming out this spring, they are one of the biggest bands in the world, yet even before the tour they already come to Europe only for interviews and promotion, while they don't even really need it... SA has fallen off the music radar pretty much, they need to promote the hell out of it if they actually want the album to reach some people.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Yeah, as much as I like them being our little secret thing, sometimes I wish they'd get back into the spot light at least a little bit. Sometimes I just think to myself... "they're so amazing! Why aren't they more popular???" If I tell anyone younger than 30 that Soul Asylum is my favorite band they're always like "who?"

It really doesn't matter how much recognition from the music community they get as long as they're still happy and making a living, but I think they deserve some more credit if they want it. They're still a working band and they do everything a band does, so why not interview them for MTV? I mean, VH1. I mean... okay, I can't think of a television network that is actually about music anymore but you get my point. But you know, they're just SOOO good. They could turn on alot of new fans if they were just a bit more widely known these days.

Then again I wouldn't want them getting too popular. (In terms of popularity, I'd take the post-CFAS rib fest days over the GDU era any day!) When the public at large gets wind of something really really awesome, you always have to deal with the annoying little poser fans. *shudders* (Even though alot of us could tell those people, "We liked these guys before they were cool [again]...just ask Dave!")

Anyway, they don't need to be huge again or make the cover of magazines, but I just wish they could get to the point where they'd get a little radio play (I lose count of how many times I've heard the same 20 songs on WDVE this week) and have the music community aware of the fact that they're still out there doing what they do and they can stop being the butt of everyone's 90's jokes.