More MySpace updating

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Benny
Runaway

More MySpace updating

Post by Benny »

Hey Guys,

I changed a couple of songs on the band's MySpace profile, including an outtake from The Silver Lining that you probably haven't heard.

Enjoy!
Benny

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Re: More MySpace updating

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Benny wrote:Hey Guys,

I changed a couple of songs on the band's MySpace profile, including an outtake from The Silver Lining that you probably haven't heard.

Enjoy!
Benny
Catchy song. Sounds like a cross between Billy Bragg’s pop stuff and The Rembrandts.

Dave could probably sell it to a sitcom to use as their theme song and make a fortune.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Awesome, definitely a very catchy and upbeat song. I can also hear a hint of The Rembrandts ("I'll Be There For You" - Friends theme) in the song as Miss Fitt 2 mentioned. Too bad most television shows are going astray from even making/airing themes anymore, since that 30 seconds of an opening are "better used" for commercial time. :roll:

Thanks a bunch for posting the song Benny, as well as linking to us on the site! It should definitely bring a lot of new traffic here.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

I can definitely see that as a theme for some heartwarming TV show! I think it sounds quite a bit like Golden Smog's Redheaded Stepchild, too (which is the only Golden Smog song I've heard so far).
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

yeah, the next "friends" spinoff has its theme song, no doubt.

does the song do anything funky or different after the first verse? for some reason myspace songs go silent (for me at least) about a third of the way through.

norma023
O'Jeezer

Be On My Side

Post by norma023 »

Yeah, I've heard this song before, as far as I know, they've played it live twice now. First time was at the Rock For Karl show in 2004.

It is a nice song and I like it a lot! And now that you mention it, I can certainly hear a Rembrants sound in that one. I bet they could just substitute this song in Friends and I bet know one would notice! :lol:

Thanks for the post Benny!
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Re: Be On My Side

Post by philipgar »

norma023 wrote:Yeah, I've heard this song before, as far as I know, they've played it live twice now. First time was at the Rock For Karl show in 2004.

It is a nice song and I like it a lot! And now that you mention it, I can certainly hear a Rembrants sound in that one. I bet they could just substitute this song in Friends and I bet know one would notice! :lol:

Thanks for the post Benny!
I was wondering where I had heard the song before, as I know I had heard it at some point. At first I was thinking this was an older one (GDU or horse era) song, although I didn't really recognize the lyrics. Todd, do you know if the lyrics/sound of the song changed greatly since the rock for karl show (I haven't listened to that one in a while).

thanks for the song though, I love to hear these outtakes!

Phil

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Re: Be On My Side

Post by Monolith Maniac »

philipgar wrote:Todd, do you know if the lyrics/sound of the song changed greatly since the rock for karl show
I know I'm not Todd, but in my opinion the Rock for Karl version sounds almost exactly like the outtake. The sound is exactly the same, just a few lyrics seem to be in different places (which isn't uncommon). I'd say that the Rock for Karl version (at least the copy I got, but I'm sure it's the same one you guys got) could pass for a slighty overplayed cassette dub of it; that's how little it has changed.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Okay, this song is completely irresistible. I haven't been able to get it out of my head.

I would definitely love to hear more outtakes.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

well I'm not Benny, but I'm thinking that was the only outtake song that they have....... :twisted:

edit: the song lyrics do seem to be a little different in this outtake version, but not certain what all is/isn't different overall

another song I like (that was also played at the Rock for Karl show is "Be On My Side". Don't think that one was played live more than a couple of times....
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over