Dave is a character in Buried Prey

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Dave is a character in Buried Prey

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

Saw this in the Star Tribune yesterday. I know what book I'm picking for my next book club selection...

'Prey' on Pirner
If you were detective Lucas Davenport working on a case of two missing girls, whom would you turn to for a little info on the mean streets of Minneapolis in 1985? Why, Dave Pirner, lead singer of Soul Asylum. In bestselling novelist John Sandford's new "Buried Prey," Davenport meets up with Pirner in a Hennepin Avenue bar. The tête-a-tête goes on for two Leinie's and three pages, as Davenport and Pirner discuss "Purple Rain," Prince's feud with Morris Day and Madonna -- and, of course, the case. (Turn to page 70 in your Sandford bestseller.) Pirner gives up the name of a groupie who works at Lutheran Social Services and knows all kinds of street people -- and who might lead Davenport to some key information. I.W. did not read any further, but we knew Pirner back in '85 and he wasn't hanging with any cops.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Heather1983
Runaway

Re: Dave is a character in Buried Prey

Post by Heather1983 »

This is awesome LOL !!!!! I am so going to read that.

ghettogold
Inmate

Post by ghettogold »

wow, dave was a character in my fan fiction from when i was around 14, wonder if i should try and publish that. :D

Heather1983
Runaway

Post by Heather1983 »

ghettogold wrote:wow, dave was a character in my fan fiction from when i was around 14, wonder if i should try and publish that. :D

I would read it :mrgreen:

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Dave as an informant... For some reason I don't think that would go over well? I could see him telling some really bad joke, and maybe start talking about the case at hand and look out the window and go "ooh, look at the squirrel!!!" Dave just doesn't have the attention span, and his attention to detail... Yeah . ..

Phil

LyndaleExile
Marionette

Post by LyndaleExile »

Ugh. I read two of the "Prey" books a decade ago. The characters were bland. The portrayal of serial killers was laughable.

$20 says I still wind up reading this new one, despite having an uber-low opinion of the series.

Heather1983
Runaway

Post by Heather1983 »

philipgar wrote:Dave as an informant... For some reason I don't think that would go over well? I could see him telling some really bad joke, and maybe start talking about the case at hand and look out the window and go "ooh, look at the squirrel!!!" Dave just doesn't have the attention span, and his attention to detail... Yeah . ..

Phil

ROFL!!!! My Lieut. Said the same thing when I started our as an ACO. He was right for the most part, but if it is something that really intrigues you at the moment then you would be amazed at how focused you become. Although I agree that maybe the idea of Dave being some sort of informant, while being in a rock band sounds a bit far fetched. Usually people in bands avoid cops or anything that smells like one.

Heather

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Heather1983 wrote:
philipgar wrote:Dave as an informant... For some reason I don't think that would go over well? I could see him telling some really bad joke, and maybe start talking about the case at hand and look out the window and go "ooh, look at the squirrel!!!" Dave just doesn't have the attention span, and his attention to detail... Yeah . ..

Phil

ROFL!!!! My Lieut. Said the same thing when I started our as an ACO. He was right for the most part, but if it is something that really intrigues you at the moment then you would be amazed at how focused you become. Although I agree that maybe the idea of Dave being some sort of informant, while being in a rock band sounds a bit far fetched. Usually people in bands avoid cops or anything that smells like one.

Heather
Considering it had been what.. 4 years since Dave's infamous "hey fuck you" on the replacement's stink EP, I can't imagine he was a big fan of cops.

Phil