SA Song You Most Want to Hear Live

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
EFISH
Runaway

Post by EFISH »

I'd have to agree with some of ya above saying "Stranger" and "Nice guys Dont get paid"....

But you know what else would be awesome.... Put The Bone In! :D

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

EFISH wrote:But you know what else would be awesome.... Put The Bone In! :D
Of course, how could I forget about that one :P . I do have a copy somewhere of Dave and Dan TRYING to play that live on the radio. I think they managed about 20 seconds and gave up (they couldn't find the right key or something). It was from a live studio radio interview for Candy From A Stranger and some audience members requested it.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Yaz McBoo wrote:Gone Forgotten. The Break would be really cool too. More realistically, I always wonder why Can't Even Tell doesn't get played. Judging by the setlists I've seen, it never seemd to be a concert mainstay even when it was on the radio a lot. I'm in the Freak Accident/Directions fan club as well. All the King's Friends, Be On Your Way, Easy Street, yeah I'd love to hear those too.
Oooooooh, yes. Be On Your Way would be indescribably awesome.

I have to admit, Can't Even Tell wouldn't even make my top 50. Just goes to show how subjective everything is.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

tditz_gb wrote:Well, I've personally asked Dave a number of different times over the past 6 years to play Easy Street and how amazing it would be if they did. But in my heart I know that no other song could bring about the eargasm that FREAKS played live would be for me.
Even writing "Easy Street" on a piece of paper and sticking that on the stage in front of Dave's mic six years ago didn't work, did it Tim? :)

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

James at 16.

Shutup, it was one of my favorite shows growing up.

whileyouwereout
O'Jeezer

Post by whileyouwereout »

In addition to their regular set list, it sure would be fun to hear them do an entire album live, esp. And the Horse they Rode In On, Hang Time or While You Were Out.

As for individual songs: Be On Your Way and Freaks would definitely be on my list, along with Twiddly Dee, Easy Street, Tied to the Tracks, Lone Rider, Heavy Rotation, Masquerade, All the King's Friends, Whoa!, Ain't That Tough, Marionette, Stranger, Passing Sad Daydream, and the list goes on...

A few of these I've seen them play way back in the day, but to see them play any of these songs now would be incredible.

Speaking of, I saw them play in Minneapolis on New Years Eve in 1990 - totally amazing show. The best part to me was when they played All the King's Friends: in the middle (I believe it was right after they break it down with "Remarkably incredible, incredibly forgettable...") they switch to Whoa! and then picked it right up again with "Out of luck, out of space, out of time, out of place..." Oh my god, it truly was one of the best live shows i've ever seen to this day. I will never forget it. Was anyone else reading this at that show?

Lovin' these posts and this site in general - thanks to all involved for getting this up and happenin'! :D
There's men without gods and gods without men and a spirit of which none of them can transcend...

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

i suck at this game.

all of these "which one" questions and i keep thinking "well here's a list.."

songs i've never heard them do live, that i love.....because of course i can't pick one....

p-9
twiddly dee
easy street
nice guys dont get paid
crashing down
no mans land

y'know, all this talking about music keeps making me want to go haul it all out. i really havent listened to soul asylum since i saw them last may.
someone sent me 14 bootlegs while i was gone, they got to me a few days after i got back, and i've only listened to one or two of them and then only to skip through and see what was on them.
and since i've been in new orleans i havent listened to them on my own. sometimes someone will put 'em in in the car, but that's what's up with that. i'm kind of feeling a little deprived seeing all these song lists :)

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

PROMISESBROKEN wrote:James at 16.

Shutup, it was one of my favorite shows growing up.
Did you catch the Grand Champeen SA covers show in MPLS a year or two ago where they played that? It was so cool seeing them play all the classic SA songs, but when they busted into James at 16, and even got the song ordering right I was quite impressed.

Phil

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

I've never actually heard them play James at 16, I've only heard about them playing it. Someday...maybe ths X-mas show!

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

yeah I was at that one, at the Hyatt downtown (except it was in 1991 though, not '90). That was an awesome show! Even have a bootleg recording of that too! Kind of a crappy venue though (IMO, too much cement around you), but that's besides the point. That midnight medley was really cool too!

All the Kings Friends is one they can pull back out of the closet any time their ready..... :)
whileyouwereout wrote: Speaking of, I saw them play in Minneapolis on New Years Eve in 1990 - totally amazing show. The best part to me was when they played All the King's Friends: in the middle (I believe it was right after they break it down with "Remarkably incredible, incredibly forgettable...") they switch to Whoa! and then picked it right up again with "Out of luck, out of space, out of time, out of place..." Oh my god, it truly was one of the best live shows i've ever seen to this day. I will never forget it. Was anyone else reading this at that show?
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over