SA Song You Most Want to Hear Live

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

SA Song You Most Want to Hear Live

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

I think the basic set list that Soul Asylum has been playing for the past year or so is pretty great (except when they commit the egregious crime of omitting Closer to the Stars or Sometime to Return, which should always be in the set :)).

But they've got such a great catalogue and there are dozens of songs I'd love to hear them dust off and play live. I'd have to say Stranger tops my list, closely followed by Nice Guys Don’t Get Paid and Easy Street. I'd love, love, love to hear them do Growing Pain or Ain't That Tough, but I don't think there's any chance of those.

As for cover songs, I've never seen them do Sexual Healing, so that would be a lot of fun.

And to borrow a phrase Danny used at the Milwaukee show earlier this year, the song that would "make me wet myself" would have to be Whoa!

What song(s) would you most like to see them do at a show?
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I would definitely have to go with Stranger too. I'd love to see Dave wail on the sax or harmonica for that song. Sexual Healing would be great as well. I was shocked when I heard them play Rhinestone Cowboy last April in Milwaukee earlier this year, that was definitely unexpected and made for a great encore.

Some other songs I would really love to see would have to be Easy Street, All the King's Friends, Twiddly Dee, P-9, Artificial Heart, and of course any type of medley.

I'm not sure if this song was ever played live, but I would really like to see how Nowhere to Go would be live, especially the beginning.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

norma023
O'Jeezer

Re: SA Song You Most Want to Hear Live

Post by norma023 »

wow, that would be a fairly large list if I listed everything

But for starters:

Nice Guys (already mentioned)
All the King's Friends (already mentioned)
Tied to the Tracks
Lies of Hate
April Fool
Spinnin
Barstool Blues
Cant Even Tell
No Man's Land.......

I coukd keep going, but that's good for starters
Miss Fitt 2 wrote:What song(s) would you most like to see them do at a show?
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

tditz_gb
Marionette

Post by tditz_gb »

Well, I've personally asked Dave a number of different times over the past 6 years to play Easy Street and how amazing it would be if they did. But in my heart I know that no other song could bring about the eargasm that FREAKS played live would be for me.

tditz_gb
Marionette

p.s.

Post by tditz_gb »

If I hadn't actually SEEN SA perform Barstool Blues, it would be on my list. That moment is forever burned in my memory.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

tditz_gb wrote:But in my heart I know that no other song could bring about the eargasm that FREAKS played live would be for me.
At almost every single Soul Asylum concert I've been to, it seems that there is almost always someone shouting out a request for Freaks more than any other Soul Asylum song. :D
Last edited by Monolith Maniac on Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

erocmann
Inmate

Post by erocmann »

I would love to see By the Way live, mine an my wife's wedding song

tditz_gb
Marionette

Post by tditz_gb »

I'm just realizing now that my comment regarding having seen SA do Barstool Blues made it sound like I've never seen FREAKS performed in concert (in my previous post) but actually I have. I'd just like to see it done AGAIN.

:roll:

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

It's tough to say what I want to hear live most. It would be Black Star, but I got dave and dan to do part of that (about a minute) back in '99, and I doubt they'd do any better today. I also would second the motion to hear Freaks, as that would be amazing. I'm also jealous of the people who've gotten to see them break out Passing Sad Daydream in the past 5-10 years.

Of course Nice guys is one of the songs I'm really trying to convince them to bring back. That one would make a good substitute for String of Pearls in a setlist, and wouldn't quite be so out of place as freaks. Of course, there's also one of my all time favorite soul asylum songs, that I am dying to hear again, and that's FREAK ACCIDENT. That definitely ranks as one of the greatest songs by them, and i'm still mad it didn't make it onto TSL.

Phil

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Gone Forgotten. The Break would be really cool too. More realistically, I always wonder why Can't Even Tell doesn't get played. Judging by the setlists I've seen, it never seemd to be a concert mainstay even when it was on the radio a lot. I'm in the Freak Accident/Directions fan club as well. All the King's Friends, Be On Your Way, Easy Street, yeah I'd love to hear those too. My "rarities highlights" thus far have to be Rhinestone Cowboy > Dan Improv > Stranger from Maxwell's '99 (and that snippet of Passing Sad Daydream), and the Rain trio from New Haven this year.
Last edited by Yaz McBoo on Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.