When will ''Rough Air'' be released?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

When do you think "Rough Air" will be released?

December 2011
11%
January 2012
No votes
February 2012
No votes
March 2012
11%
April 2012
26%
May 2012
21%
June to December 2012
21%
Sometime in the year 2013
5%
Sometime in the year 2014
No votes
Sometime in the year 2015
No votes
5%

Total votes: 19

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Re: When will ''Rough Air'' be released?

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

This article has weird math. If the band has been around for 28 years, how can their album be 30 years old?

I think this would be the 30th anniversary of the band, since 2001 had the 20th anniversary show.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:This article has weird math. If the band has been around for 28 years, how can their album be 30 years old?

I think this would be the 30th anniversary of the band, since 2001 had the 20th anniversary show.
Dave might be a great songwriter, but I don't think his math skills are up to snuff. Give it a few years and Eli can correct him.

Phil

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Phil, that's really rude. I know you're just trying to be funny, but insinuating that Dave can't do simple math is kinda mean. Personally I don't mind humor that's offensive as long as it's funny, but that's not funny, it's just dumb. Dave is somebody that we all care about and respect, and I don't think anyone appreciates you flat-out insulting his intelligence.

Regardless, the bad math was probably just the author getting a little confused, not Dave giving incorrect information about his own life.

njsoul
Marionette

Post by njsoul »

Six months?? Who are they dealing with? Any label I've heard of can get it out 2 months after it's turned in. They're better off just selling it online.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

AlyssaJones wrote:Phil, that's really rude. I know you're just trying to be funny, but insinuating that Dave can't do simple math is kinda mean. Personally I don't mind humor that's offensive as long as it's funny, but that's not funny, it's just dumb. Dave is somebody that we all care about and respect, and I don't think anyone appreciates you flat-out insulting his intelligence.

Regardless, the bad math was probably just the author getting a little confused, not Dave giving incorrect information about his own life.
Sorry, it really wasn't the best. I suppose it's the same math where an album being out in six months really means two or three years. . . Also, am I the only one who doesn't understand why an album that is done would take six months to get released? In this day and age six weeks is a long turnaround time. It doesn't take that long to get some CDs printed and out the door

Phil

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

philipgar wrote: Also, am I the only one who doesn't understand why an album that is done would take six months to get released? In this day and age six weeks is a long turnaround time. It doesn't take that long to get some CDs printed and out the door
I don't know how the business works, but I think there's more to it than that. If they would release that album now, then I don't think many copies will be sold, and that's the most important thing for a record company. Maybe they want to promote and get the word out before it will actually come out, and that takes time... especially for a band who has fallen off the radar. That being said, there are always months between an album being finished in the studio and being released, but 6 months is a lot.

Plus, if they were still recording a few weeks ago (according to Tommy's tweets) then it's not even mixed.

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

i think there's a running competition between SA and the band boston. every six to eight years to release a cd.i guess dave's a perfectionist its gonna be worth it.it alway's is but the wait is killer.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Closer wrote:Plus, if they were still recording a few weeks ago (according to Tommy's tweets) then it's not even mixed.
Well they could have mixed it as they went along, couldn't they? I mean if they're about to "turn it in" doesn't that mean songs are finished and ready to go?

njsoul
Marionette

Post by njsoul »

Yeah if you are turning it in then it is mixed. I'm perplexed. Six months is three times longer than it should take. They knew they'd be finishing soon and given that it normally takes 2 months for a company to get a cd out I see why just two months ago SA expected it to be a Fall release. I'm guessing they assumed they would be dealing with a normal company. It sounds to me like they're dealimg with some start up company that doesn't have their finances/facilities in order yet. I think the band can do better for themselves.

Karlwerneth
Caged Rat

Post by Karlwerneth »

My vote was April 2012. maybe they should rename the album "the waiting game" or "whenever if ever... whatever" :lol: . All kidding aside, when it's done it'll be good and I'll buy it for sure and begin the wait for the next.