When will ''Rough Air'' be released?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

When do you think "Rough Air" will be released?

December 2011
11%
January 2012
No votes
February 2012
No votes
March 2012
11%
April 2012
26%
May 2012
21%
June to December 2012
21%
Sometime in the year 2013
5%
Sometime in the year 2014
No votes
Sometime in the year 2015
No votes
5%

Total votes: 19

Closer
Social Butterfly

Re: When will ''Rough Air'' be released?

Post by Closer »

EL DANGEROSO wrote:.i guess dave's a perfectionist its gonna be worth it.
I don't think it's that... they've probably been working on it in a sporadic way for lots of reasons, and they didn't start recording until last year (I think). It's not like they've been in the studio since 2007.
AlyssaJones wrote:Well they could have mixed it as they went along, couldn't they? I mean if they're about to "turn it in" doesn't that mean songs are finished and ready to go?
The recording has to be finished to be able to mix it. I don't know if it's completely finished or not.
njsoul wrote:Six months is three times longer than it should take. They knew they'd be finishing soon and given that it normally takes 2 months for a company to get a cd out I see why just two months ago SA expected it to be a Fall release. I'm guessing they assumed they would be dealing with a normal company. It sounds to me like they're dealimg with some start up company that doesn't have their finances/facilities in order yet. I think the band can do better for themselves.
Three months is normal for an album to come out after it's completed in the studio. Anyway, it's too early to presume that they're dealing with a start up company. If they just recently signed with this record company, then it's normal that there has to be a lot of financial stuff to be taken care of and I can imagine that they want to take their time to (like I said before) put the word out and start some kind of promotional thing.

But anyway, I'm just guessing... it's not like I know what the deal is.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Closer wrote:AlyssaJones wrote:
Well they could have mixed it as they went along, couldn't they? I mean if they're about to "turn it in" doesn't that mean songs are finished and ready to go?

The recording has to be finished to be able to mix it. I don't know if it's completely finished or not.
Well what I meant was do you think it's possible they could've recorded all the parts of one song, mixed it, recorded the next song, mixed it and just did it song by song? Or do they always wait till every single song is recorded to do the mixing? (I don't know anything about the process of making an album)

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

I suppose that's possible, but it would be a strange way of making an album... usually the person that mixes an album doesn't come in until the whole album is recorded.

Karlwerneth
Caged Rat

Post by Karlwerneth »

It seems my earlier reply didn't go through. I voted April 2012, though I hope for much sooner. Us die hard fans are ready and if everyone else hasn't realized the awesomeness of this band yet, they never will. Due to the bands recent track record of release dates, I propose they call the album "Whenever, If Ever, Whatever" :lol: I can't wait for the new record and to see them live again!!

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

Karlwerneth wrote:It seems my earlier reply didn't go through. I voted April 2012, though I hope for much sooner. Us die hard fans are ready and if everyone else hasn't realized the awesomeness of this band yet, they never will. Due to the bands recent track record of release dates, I propose they call the album "Whenever, If Ever, Whatever" :lol: I can't wait for the new record and to see them live again!!
your right SA will never be this huge band like they were after GDU. and i think that's best for us true fan's of the band at least we know there awesomeness.

topiratti
Inmate

Post by topiratti »

I can't wait till its out,..... i voted for Dec 2011 LOL
Image are of baby rats my female gave birth too ;D

Friendless King
Lone Rider

Post by Friendless King »

I blame Tommy. He brought that GnR Chinese Democracy curse to SA. (joke)
Remember when it took forever for Chinese to come out? BTW it also took BOSTON a long time to put out albums. I hope they arent over-tweaking it.
Its rock & roll. press the record button - and throw it out there.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Friendless King wrote:. I hope they arent over-tweaking it.
Its rock & roll. press the record button - and throw it out there.
I don't think it's that... they live spread out over the country and it's probably not easy getting everyone together at the same time, and there's no rush for them to do it... I wish there was though... and I can become a fan again.

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

Karlwerneth wrote:My vote was April 2012. maybe they should rename the album "the waiting game" or "whenever if ever... whatever" :lol: . All kidding aside, when it's done it'll be good and I'll buy it for sure and begin the wait for the next.
That's fucking hilarious
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

Bono
Marionette

Post by Bono »

According to Tommy in a recent interview he seems to think it'll come out in the 1st or 2nd quarter in 2012
Interviewer - You're a busy guy -- GN'R, solo, and Soul Asylum.
Tommy Stinson - Yeah, [Soul Asylum] did a whole new record, and I think it's probably going to come out soon. Hopefully first or second quarter.
You can check out the entire interview here but there's nothing more than that on Soul Asylum. http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsu ... tinson.php
Never, forever, whatever!