SA ringtones

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
norma023
O'Jeezer

SA ringtones

Post by norma023 »

anyone using (or have) any SA sound clips for their ringtone?

About the only SA related ringtone that I'm aware of is Somebody to Shove (sans vocals of course), was wondering if anyone has ever "made their own" ringtone before? From reading on the web, it appears one can do this, but I don't know how.

If anyone has a ringtone that they could share, or any info on how to actually create your own, please post.

Thanks!
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

i dont know how to make them, but cingular (a t t or bellsouth or whoever they are now)has a bunch of soul asylum ringtones. the one i'm using is somebody to shove, and it's a song clip not a midi. something about my phone going off with "i'm waiting by the phone etc etc etc" struck me as right :)

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Years ago I had an unlocked phone that allowed me to upload mp3 based ring tones. I remember putting on a piece of closer to the stars (an acoustic one), and that worked pretty well. It sounded great, and for the most part didn't make me look like an idiot when my phone ring (I may have been willing to use an mp3 ringtone, but I refused to use one with any vocal parts).

Since then I've gone through a couple phones, and I don't think they've allowed me to upload my own ringtones. Not a limitation of the phone, but rather the software the carriers put on them. They want to force you to buy their overpriced ring tones which they want to claim as derivative works so that the artists don't make money off their sales. It's really quite the scam, and the same labels say that you can't make your own because a ringtone can represent "public performance" of a song. Ah gotta love this stuff.

Phil

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

i just realized that while i dont know how to make shareable ringtones, i can make my own. if i record something on my phone, i have the option to set it as a ringtone. i had kermit ruffins for a while, and chaz for a while. no soul asylum though.

there's a problem with mp3 ringtones of your favorite musicians. they invariably go off while you're talking to them, immediately activating a huge, blinking, neon "WEENIE!!!" sign above your head.

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

I made my own "Shove" mp3 ringtone

Post by dells »

Years ago I made my own ringtone of Dave's awesome guitar solo at the beginning of Somebody To Shove. Then it was years until I had a phone I could use it on (and even then, this phone made it a nightmare to do), but it was oh so worth it, :D .

I made my mp3 clip using the same software I use for all my mp3 ripping, Musicmatch Jukebox.I'm not familiar with other mp3 ripping programs, but this one allows me to create clips of songs. You can set it to start and end at whatever point in the song that you want. My Shove clip was really easy to make, since I wanted that wicked good intro solo. It's the entire guitar intro, cuts off just before the lyrics start. At 17 seconds long, it seems to be perfect for a ringtone.

Since it's so short, it's easy to get via email attachment, even if you have dial-up. It's only 123 KB.

If you want my "Shove" mp3 ringtone, just shoot me an email at aloria@mycfrw.net, and I'd be happy to send it to you.

On a side note, if anyone with a Moterola Razr needs help setting a personal mp3 as a custum ringtone, I can tell you how. It was a major headache for me to find a customer service person that was actually able to provide useful info on how to do it, but it is possible, and although the process is amazingly stupid for this phone, and not explained in the phone's documentation, it's easy once you find out how.

dells

blueharvest
O'Jeezer

sa ringtones

Post by blueharvest »

howdy

years ago, i composed my own 3 track "sometime to return" ringtone for my old cell. i sounded ok but kinda like an old nintendo soundtrack.
Recently i made my own ringtone (alas, not SA this time, i used the guitar solo from Foo Fighters' "Fraternity").
I used a free mp3 editor to choose the clip I wanted and then converted it to the proper format using a program called "Switch" which was also a free download. Sound quality ends up adequate at best.

J

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

thanks for all the ideas and offerings/suggestions!

It'd be nice if I could put my own ringtone and wallpaper image on there, but I need to look into what all this phone (Nextel) will let me do. Hopefully it isn't too limiting
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

Cordelia
Caged Rat

Post by Cordelia »

I did make a ringtone from a mp3. When my handy rings I can hear "Somebody to shove". The caller must wait for a long time because I want to enjoy the song. :mrgreen:
Many Greetings from Germany
yours Cordelia

Pumm
Brand New Shine

Post by Pumm »

I use an online tool http://makeownringtone.com
With default filters it produces excellent ringtones with good loudness.
There are plenty of filters to play with, though.

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

yeah I have a nextel phone (Motorola). So I searched for "Nextel" and "ringtones" on the net, and came across this site http://www.harrythompson.com/ask/nextel_ringtones.htm

Already uploaded my own ringtone and want to do a wallpaper image next. Works pretty slick !!