strange article

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
sheryl
Social Butterfly

strange article

Post by sheryl »

unless i missed something, and it would not be a stretch if indeed it turns out that i have, there's no particular reason for this guy to be talking about soul asylum. it doesn't seem to be a record review. or an ad for an upcoming show. it's in the entertainment section and seems to be about music to mow the lawn to....or not.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hea ... 82842.html

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Sarah the nerdy fact-checker would like to chime in.

The lawn-mowing writer said : "But I vaguely remember an interview with the band — I think it was in Rolling Stone — from years ago. The interviewer asked which band member had the worst taste in music. I believe three of the four immediately answered that it was Mueller. One quipped that he owned every album by the Tubes, a strange, post-mod, almost-parody band from the '70s and '80s that has been largely forgotten."

I have this interview. It is from a December 1993 Rolling Stone. Only, the guys say that Grant had the worst taste in music. However, they do indeed claim that Grant owned all the Tubes records.

Additionally, in this same article, Dan notes that Dave commented that "the White House Lawn wasn't quite up to snuff." Interesting given that SA was discussed in a "music to mow lawns to" article.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

i can take this lawn thing even further down it's creepy little path. a local musician here, alex mcmurray, posting in his blog, mentioned that "the lawn guy" wasnt there, because he was off in the northern midwest somewhere, so he had to mow the truckfarms lawn himself. "lawn guy" was a link. the link led to....yes you guessed it....the dave pirner wikipedia page.

dave pirner is the lawn guy.

pathorses
O'Jeezer

The Tubes

Post by pathorses »

I liked the Tubes! I even own a couple of their albums (I'm talking vinyl here.)

Pat