I'll Volunteer

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Woody
Stranger

I'll Volunteer

Post by Woody »

Hi,

My name is Woody, I just found out about this site today... Dave, myself and the rest of the Volunteers are playing at the Cabooze in MPLS on Friday December 28th. I was wondering if anyone has a copy of "Black Star," other then the one on the "Hits" record...

We're getting our set list together and with 14 people in the band, it can be a trick. We all look forward to the show, and all hope to see you!

Cheers,

Woody
Hello, Al White Motors...

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Hey Woody,

I assume you originally meant the live version from the prom show? Anyhow I found two other copies of it pretty quickly. One from the Overreactors show on May 31st 1996, and one from Lupo's in Providence RI (I think that's right) on 4/21/97. You can grab mp3s of them at http://philipgar.ath.cx:85/~pcg2/woody/ .

I know at some point there were some videos of Wayne McFarland playing it, but I can't say for sure about those. I know other copies of the song exist as well, although I doubt the quality will be any better than these.

Phil
Last edited by philipgar on Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Re: I'll Volunteer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Woody wrote:Hi,

My name is Woody, I just found out about this site today... Dave, myself and the rest of the Volunteers are playing at the Cabooze in MPLS on Friday December 28th. I was wondering if anyone has a copy of "Black Star," other then the one on the "Hits" record...

We're getting our set list together and with 14 people in the band, it can be a trick. We all look forward to the show, and all hope to see you!

Cheers,

Woody
Really looking forward to this show!

Any chance of hearing "Nice Guys Don't Get Paid"? I saw it on the set list for the June Summerfest show, but it was cut. I only ask because I figure you've already rehearsed it and I want to make it easy on you guys. :wink:

But seriously - the June show was awesome. Can't wait for this one!
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Oh... and I have a demo version of Black Star, if you still need it after checking out Phil's stuff.

(This isn't some sort of sting operation, is it?)

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Miss Fitt 2 wrote:Oh... and I have a demo version of Black Star, if you still need it after checking out Phil's stuff.

(This isn't some sort of sting operation, is it?)
Ooh, post that as well (or email it to me and I'll put it next to the other 2 copies). I was looking for that one, but couldn't find it anywhere. I assume that is the copy that used to be up on the o'jeez site, and is from the original candy sessions? I'm trying to figure out what I did with some of that stuff.

Phil

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Okay, but this is entrapment!

Black Star Demo

Hey Phil, Didn't "Black Star" top your most-wanted live song list?

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Miss Fitt 2 wrote:Okay, but this is entrapment!

Black Star Demo

Yeah, I always loved black star. I did get Dave and Dan to attempt to play it at a show in Baton Rouge in 1999, but that was it. That was more than I ever expected, as they made it a minute or so into the song before screwing up (I remember it was highly amusing as Dan was showing Dave what he did wrong afterward, or that's what it looked like).

I'm quite jealous that I won't be able to make this show. Dave's solo shows are always a lot of fun, but I'll be back in Florida during this one.

Phil

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

getting back ON TOPIC :D

Thanks for the post Woody and welcome to the site!
I'm really looking forward to this show, should be really fun!

Oh, looked around a bit for the Black Star video mentioned here, but couldn't find it :P
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

bam, there we gotcha - red handed even!!
Now where's that damn key when you need it :shock:

you can actually download it from here too

Miss Fitt 2 wrote:Okay, but this is entrapment!
[url=snip[/url]
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Woody,

I would love to make it to this show, but being in Minneapolis a week earlier (for the First Ave show) it would just be too much with Christmas/New Years not to mention gas prices.

About the Wain McFarlane video... I do have a copy of it. I downloaded it when it was available on the company who made the recordings' website. I remember going back to the site (don't recall the name) a few months ago to see if it was still there; it wasn't. I'll see if I can get it up on YouTube soon cause it's definitely a great video.

UPDATE: The Black Star video has been uploaded. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QymWxc-qOLs
Last edited by Monolith Maniac on Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com