New Album "Delayed Reaction" out July 17th, 2012

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Closer
Social Butterfly

Re: New Album "Delayed Reaction" out July 17th, 2012

Post by Closer »

Yeah, I guess so... but they are big boys and it should be taken as a compliment when a fan rather hears all new stuff from your band than re-work of old stuff and I wouldn't mind saying that if the opportunity was there... and there's not more to it than that, but obviously I'll never meet them anyway.

Rich
Stranger

Post by Rich »

mrsromek wrote:Will the LP contain a free code to download the tracks as well? Vinyl is nice, but I don't have a record player in my car!!!!!
The last New York Dolls album was on 429; the vinyl included a download. That's not a guarantee that the Soul Asylum record will, but it's a pretty good possibility.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

inasimplerhyme wrote:I'm also curious about another detail of the vinyl. The only full albums I own on vinyl are Hang Time and Horse..., (everything else is on CD) but a funny quirk I've always enjoyed is that they've numbered their album sides sequentially since the beginning; the implication being that all their albums are one giant work. I'm not sure if it continued with Grave Dancers, but Hang Time is listed as being Sides 9 and 10 with Horse being 11 and 12. It'd be great if they continued that tradition.

-Jon
The first one not to not follow the trend was Candy From A Stranger (it stopped with Let Your Dim Light Shine).

The Silver Lining had no vinyl, so the past 2 albums haven't had any numbering.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Review http://www.allmusic.com/album/delayed-r ... 0002369741

even though I know that people that like SA are a rare breed, it still amazes me how some people don't get this band... how can you dismiss CFAS and the Silver Lining like that?

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Closer wrote:Review http://www.allmusic.com/album/delayed-r ... 0002369741

even though I know that people that like SA are a rare breed, it still amazes me how some people don't get this band... how can you dismiss CFAS and the Silver Lining like that?
I read this article (sans rating) the other night on another site and I thought the same thing. Also something doesn't make sense to me in the article, am I just interpreting it wrong?

From the article:

1998's Candy from a Stranger and the 2006 "comeback" The Silver Lining barely made a ripple among anyone but their most committed fans, both sounding half-hearted as Dave Pirner's songwriting turned unexpectedly silly.

I don't know how his song writing turned "unexpectedly silly" on The Silver Lining. First of all (even though I think he used the word loosely) I don't like to think of TSL as a "comeback" album... just a long strong follow up to CFAS, neither of which was not really intended to over perform/sell more copies than their last albums which they have said (if it was to, awesome; hope the same can/could be said with Delayed Reaction).

There may be a few lines like the obvious "good for you, like orange juice" line in "Good For You" and maybe parts of The "Great Exaggerator" (in my opinion). If anything I think TSL is probably the strongest work with song writing.

Then again he knocks Dave with the following a couple lines later a similar statement with:

And while Dave Pirner's lyrics are still goofier than they were in his heyday, he sounds noticeably more grounded on The Silver Lining.

There he makes it sound like his opinion The Silver Lining kinda wasn't so bad at all... huh, make up your mind?

Is it just me and I'm not understanding something on what he wrote?
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

better late
Social Butterfly

Post by better late »

I hate when a review of a record is such that when you read it you're wondering which record is actually being reviewed. This is one of those.

Since this reviewer knows so much about the band, he should know that they convinced us of their range long ago. They didn't have to "slow things down" on this one to prove anything.

Just cause there's a line or two that you might interpret as "silly" does not mean that the whole album, in this case two whole albums, are filled with "silly songwriting". I don't think there was too much that was silly about CFAS or TSL. That comment alone deserves a slap. :twisted:

Lastly, he said TSL made "barely a ripple" among anyone except for fans. Didn't I read that "Stand Up and Be Strong" was picked up by two major networks and played before every college football game for a whole season? If so, that's a pretty big ripple.

Just my humble opinion...

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

some people want to fill the world with silly love songs .what's wrong with that. :lol:

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

yeah he makes 'silly' sound like a BAD thing. it sounds fun to me.
ok i am ok with the 'not much of a ripple' comment but i don't agree with the sillier songwriting opinion.
i never really was into reading music reviews though - i never felt like just because other people write that they like or don't like something that that means i'd have the same opinion. (unless they go with the old "if you like _x_ you might like __y_". that is sometimes useful)
-zany (hah too bad they didn't say his songwriting was 'zany')

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

I am ALL for ZANY!

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

crawl wrote:I am ALL for ZANY!
i've been on facebook too long i just looked for the "like" button on your post ;)