New Album "Delayed Reaction" out July 17th, 2012

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
cujofats
O'Jeezer

Re: New Album "Delayed Reaction" out July 17th, 2012

Post by cujofats »

Wow.........am I the only one excited about this? From the track list provided this does not look like an album of old and tired material to me. I'm only seeing 3 older songs.....?.....I think:
"By The Way"---Indeed, the song is over 15 years old, but I'm actually curious to see how (or if) they rework it for 2012.
"I Should Have Stayed In Bed"---I loved the version from the Palais live show in 98. I'll be excited to finally have a studio version of it.
"Cruel Intentions"---I know it was played in concert 1o years ago, but we've never had a studio version. But true, it is old.
Perhaps the band feels these songs never got the attention they deserved. I'd certainly agree with that in the case of I Should Have Stayed In Bed.

Everything else looks new to me. Sure "Let's All Kill Each Other" was an internet download only song 3 years ago, but I personally really like the song and I look forward to having it on disc now. I personally still think of the song as a "new" one.....

Everyone seemed so excited when "Gravity" and "Into The Light" were played live last year. I know I was. Why is it not exciting to have a studio version now? a year or so later. It's not that uncommon for a band to try out new stuff in advance, in concert. Would we have rather the band kept these songs under wraps until now?
The way I see it we essentially have 7 new Soul Asylum songs, 2 older songs never given the studio treatment, and 1 old song re-worked for 2012.
I do apologize if any of this somehow sounds harsh to anyone, I don't intend to come off that way. It's just the immediate response on the board here to the new album we've all been waiting for seems disproportionately negative and disappointed.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

I do consider the first three songs on there as new songs, the fact that I already know them well is my own fault for listening to the bootlegs when they appeared here. I'm just dissapointed because I've been waiting so long for new material with constantly another time they gave us, and then it's finally here and you only get so few new songs. And like has been said before... the band should know that most fans already know these songs... even if they are re-recorded and maybe changed a little here and there, it will still be the same song. I'd be fine with it if they released albums every two or three years like most bands, but obviously that's not the case anymore.

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

I agree, cujofats. I've not been inspired to post in a long time, but I have to say I completely agree with you. So many people are saying they wish for a song like Directions to have been on a studio album, but why do not they not feel the same way about I Should Have Stayed in Bed or Cruel Intentions? Both really cool songs in my opinion and looking forward to having a good studio version of each. Oxygen again, is a song a lot of people heard live before it appeared on an album and were delighted to see it appear on the record. I am lovvvving the new 3 songs and I'm so excited to have them on an album. I've heard them live and they are sounding "Horsey" or Hang Time-ish to me and I am so excited to hear them on the album and have a version that I can actually hear the lyrics. And I love that this is the direction that the new songs are going. My favorite SA era is Made to be Broken / While You Were Out / Hang Time and these have a bit more of that sound than later albums. I had expected Let's All Kill Each Other to appear because it has not appeared on an album yet and is also new-ish. I have greatly enjoyed having these little tastes of what is to come with the new songs being tried out live and the release of Let's All Kill Each Other online as a treat a few years ago. And I don't feel like that makes the new album disappointing at all, since my understanding has been that these were songs that would be appearing. And 3 songs that I believe are completely new and unheard. I guess we have different ideas about what is exciting.

Having said all that, I do however have to say if that really is the album cover ???? Maybe there is some amazing background story about what makes that a good album cover. But I have to say LAME! Boys, there is still time to rethink that! But the contents are what is most important :)

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

lucy wrote:I agree, cujofats. I've not been inspired to post in a long time, but I have to say I completely agree with you. So many people are saying they wish for a song like Directions to have been on a studio album, but why do not they not feel the same way about I Should Have Stayed in Bed or Cruel Intentions?
I'm not the biggest fan of Cruel Intentions, but both By The Way and I Should Have Stayed In Bed are songs that belong to my favourite SA songs (as I mentioned already in the other thread) but that's not the point... I already know them, been listening to By The Way since 1993 and I Should Have Stayed In Bed since 1998 when it came out on the CFAS bonus CD... even re-recorded and maybe a little different, it will be the same song that I know by heart and not something I have to hear on a ''new'' album.

It's kinda like all those bands or artists that are not around anymore, but then a compilation album comes out with old songs being re-mixed or just different studio versions of it, that you're not really waiting for because you already have the song.

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

I guess I come from the perspective that I have a favorite band that I've been listening to since 1985, who I've seen multiple times and heard their songs over and over. This band that I have been listening to and going to see for over 25 years now is still playing and putting on an awesome show, pulling out new crazy fun cover songs, writing new music, and it's great new music! And putting out a new album! That to me is such a treat that even if I am familiar already with a few of the songs I feel extremely fortunate to have had them to the soundtrack to my life for so very long. And now new stuff? I'd be excited about 1 new song, but we are getting 7! (if you count Lets All Kill Each Other which is still new-ish and not released on an album). I understand everyone feels the way they do, but I am going to choose to be delighted to get this new album.

More delighted if they'd so a little something different with that cover... :)

PS You do all realize that the only reason that we know any of these songs is because we are a bunch of, yes, I'll say it, FREAKS! To the general public or less koo koo fan, these are all new songs. Just sayin' We just have been fortunate to have been able to enjoy them longer!

better late
Social Butterfly

Post by better late »

I gotta agree with you, Lucy. Although I understand the disappointment some may feel, I am excited about the new album and am going to wait to hear how all the songs pan out.

Now, don't get me started about that cover... :shock:

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

cujofats wrote: Everyone seemed so excited when "Gravity" and "Into The Light" were played live last year. I know I was. Why is it not exciting to have a studio version now? a year or so later. It's not that uncommon for a band to try out new stuff in advance, in concert.
I love those songs and I am excited to hear studio versions of them, but I thought they were just a small taste of the album. But now that I know that out of the whole album there's only going to be three brand new, never-before-heard songs, it makes them a bit less special. I mean I fully expected them to be on there and I'm happy for it, but they make up half of the brand new material on there. I thought there was gonna be more new stuff than that.
Last edited by AlyssaJones on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

erocmann
Inmate

Post by erocmann »

I agree with lucy, these songs will be completely new to most people (maybe vaguely familiar to some). But because we are all beautiful freaks, we already know these songs in their original form. Dave had said, though, that they had worked on a new arrangement of "By the Way" and I'm excited to see how it comes out...and it's not like they're releasing a cd with a new version of "Runaway Train" or "Black Gold", we're talking about new versions of songs that even some fanatics haven't heard. I also think it's a little crazy to complain about "Gravity", "Into the Light" and "The Streets" being on this album. These are new songs, it's just that they've been in the process of finishing this album up for quite some time. I'm not thrilled about "Let's all Kill Each Other" being included as I'm not a huge fan of that song, and I'm a little disappointed that there's only 10 songs, but these are minor complaints...It's a new album!!! :D

CULater
Caged Rat

Post by CULater »

Glad to see the new album finished! I have faith in the band and know it'll be awesome just like everything else they do. Welcome back, boys. Look forward to seeing you live!
"I've learned to accept and not to expect - the respect and neglect that I get. And I try not to forget about what hasn't happened yet.....""

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

erocmann wrote: I also think it's a little crazy to complain about "Gravity", "Into the Light" and "The Streets" being on this album. These are new songs, it's just that they've been in the process of finishing this album up for quite some time.
I don't think anyone is complaining. I was expecting those songs to be on there and I'm glad because I like them a lot... well, apart from ''The Streets" which I don't care that much for... kinda sounds like Blink 182, but I'm curious to hear the studio versions of the other two songs. I'm just dissapointed that I've been waiting six years for six new songs. That's not even an album, it's an EP.

I understand what some here are saying, I've been listening to them since I was an 11 year old year old kid and their songs have literally been the soundtrack to my life. But there's no way how for example a new studio version of "I Should Have Stayed In Bed'' can be better for me personally than the live version on the Palais Royale bonus CD, because that's the version that I have emotional value for... even if the studio version is better, I already know it won't be for me. This might sound cheesy, but I can't explain it better. Like "Black Star"... I heard the live version long before the studio version, but because of my memories to that song the way I first heard it, the studio version can never top that one... even with the little guitar mistakes in the live version, it doesn't matter.
erocmann wrote:I agree with lucy, these songs will be completely new to most people (maybe vaguely familiar to some).
Not to most SA fans, I think. You can already here live version of almost all the songs on youtube.