New Album "Delayed Reaction" out July 17th, 2012

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
topiratti
Inmate

Re: New Album "Delayed Reaction" out July 17th, 2012

Post by topiratti »

I only know "By The Way", the rest of the songs, i have never heard of, hell, i dont own many of the SA albums, only GDU, LYDLS, CFAS (the promo version they mailed out) I own a few CD singles and a Vinyl single.

I cant wait till its released, so i can go buy it, but im going ot try and track down all other albums im missing xD
Image are of baby rats my female gave birth too ;D

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

429 Records has just put up a page for Soul Asylum on their site. There's also a news section which includes an up-to-date bio (with some info on the album), as well as the press release, and a link to a Billboard article.

http://www.429records.com/sites/429reco ... asylum.asp
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

yay it's fun reading about them sounding excited about the songs :)

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

I was doing some research to see if I could find anything about the album cover, and came across the following:

http://www.unstage.com/2009/09/painting ... -bartlett/

It looks that the image is a oil painting from 2000 by American realist Bo Bartlett titled, The Dowry.

After I found out his name, I Googled it and sure enough he's got a website where there are some more of his highly detailed paintings (complete with zooming).

http://www.bobartlett.com/paintings/2000-the-dowry.html

I would have never thought the image was a painting; looked like a photograph to me. :shock: I wonder who in the group came across that picture (possibly Dan since he's into art)? Whoever it was, they all must have liked it though. :P

----

I also found that it appears to be a cover of a 2010 Italian book*, Un' estate fa (translated A Summers Ago) by Baresani Camilla.

(*Note: I translated the book link from Italian).

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

I still think it sucks.

It's a stupid album cover and a bad painting to begin with. It shows exceptional skill but the framing is terrible. Hello, it's called the Rule of Thirds, people! You never center your subject. Centering your subject looks so amateur. On the book cover version Jim posted though, it actually looks halfway decent since they reformatted it.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Is the girl on her bike supposed to be having a delayed reaction to something, which could then cause her to get hurt on the bike?

Or am I reading too much into this trying to link the picture to the album title?

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:Or am I reading too much into this trying to link the picture to the album title?
Probably. Most of their covers never really had much to do with anything in the past. Some yeah, but others not really. I mean what is the deal with those legs on Hang Time? You'd think they were some kind of metal band that sings about dismembering people.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

A lot of their album covers are kinda artistic... and with most art, some like it and some don't. I personally like it, but I couldn't even care less about it... I still think the track listing is a complete let down and reading now that they recorded many covers, I'm even more surprised at what gives and what happened to their creativity... I wish they were like Pearl Jam... those guys are the same age, from the same alt scene and are releasing albums with new material every two years... and those guys actually play other places outside of america... Blah... bring on album number 11

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

AlyssaJones wrote:
mystic_spiral_3 wrote:Or am I reading too much into this trying to link the picture to the album title?
Probably. Most of their covers never really had much to do with anything in the past. Some yeah, but others not really. I mean what is the deal with those legs on Hang Time? You'd think they were some kind of metal band that sings about dismembering people.
As far as the legs on Hang Time, I always thought they were hanging there with the ropes attached to their legs. Though they wouldn't be truly hanging as the ropes are at the bottom of the album (unless you look at the cover 180 degrees or maybe something is hanging from their legs). I do like the cover for Hang Time more than the one for Delayed Reaction, regardless of the title... who knows, maybe the cover will suit the mood for most of the album (Cruel Intentions and By The Way kind of could go along with it, and there's still 3 new songs which could compliment it :P ).

To me I always was curious about the tie-in with While You Were Out and the cover ("While You Were Out we ordered a big stripper in a cake?").

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Monolith Maniac wrote:...(Cruel Intentions and By The Way kind of could go along with it, and there's still 3 new songs which could compliment it :P ).
As far as Cruel Intentions goes, besides SA occasionally playing it live, which was kind of fun to see Dave on the piano, but I thought of it more as one of his solo songs or something he'd play with The Volunteers. I definitely could have seen it being on his solo album (the song goes back that far) more than this record. I'd even see it going on to be a Golden Smog song more, such as what they did with Never Felt Before or Hurricane. Its just my opinion, I'm not complaining.

Plus isn't this going to be the first time Dave uses the word "baby" in the context of a woman (except for the one time he said it in Lately but using it in context of a child, so I'll let that slide).

Hmm, what happened Dave?: :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyKXRHr435w&t=3m29s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20EMtOeGH64&t=2m21s

(Note: Evidently can't embed YouTube links which include direct link to time.)