New Album "Delayed Reaction" out July 17th, 2012

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
TravisSaves
Social Butterfly

Re: New Album "Delayed Reaction" out July 17th, 2012

Post by TravisSaves »

We all know this album is going to be absolutely amazing, and that is something we should celebrate!

I'm super stoked to buy the album the day it's released!

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

TravisSaves wrote:We all know this album is going to be absolutely amazing, and that is something we should celebrate!

I'm super stoked to buy the album the day it's released!
Exactly, because we already know almost all the songs! High Five!

ok, I'm lame...

JimmyJames
Stranger

Post by JimmyJames »

Obviously the band is well aware of the age of some of these songs...but I'm wondering if the album title is a tongue-in-cheek way of acknowledging that fact...

"Delayed Reaction" ....Re-Action? Putting some of these songs into 'action' after quite a delay? And possibly (quickly) followed by ___________, with MORE new songs? (someone can insert witty follow-up album title here)...I can dream, right? lol

Who knows? Certainly not me!

Hoping for a vinyl release as well as cd! :D

Cheers!
j

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

JimmyJames wrote:Obviously the band is well aware of the age of some of these songs...but I'm wondering if the album title is a tongue-in-cheek way of acknowledging that fact...
j
I wondered about that too. Maybe it's also a financial thing and that's why there are only ten songs on it.

Anyway, I probably come off like the most negative SA fan, but I've just been dissapointed so many times by them in the last years. Last year I got my ticket for the Brussels show and I was going to see them live for the first time after waiting 18 years for that day, and then at the last moment they cancelled without giving a reason, and now after the whole album wait you get this... Of course I'll be buying the album and I hope that the only three unheard songs are going to be really good, but I feel like it might be time to put my SA t-shirt in the closet, figuratively speaking.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

I've added the album to the discography: Delayed Reaction.

Any noteworthy trivia that we know about it already? Anything about the album cover?
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

I guess it says something that I didn't even read this message until now... I just have been a bit out of touch lately. I used to check this board multiple times a day, but haven't lately.

I suppose you could say I'm excited for a new soul asylum album, I mean, I definitely want it, but I must admit when i saw the track listing, I was like.... Is this it, for six years of work, this is kind of lame? A handful of new songs, some incredible new songs we got the luck to hear already, and some old songs redone... And only ten of them. In the past, it seemed like the guys were always coming up with new material . . . so much so that the old "new" stuff gets lost, and never heard again. I'm glad to see them revisit some of that old stuff, but kind of sad to see only a handful of new songs.

And, of the new ones, I always kind of thought lets all kill each other was sort of a throw away song. Worthy of being a bside or something, but not album material. It was a fun little song I suppose (I never cared for it too much), but I never thought it was meant to be serious, or a song reprsentative of the band).

I guess I can't really complain much, as the band is still together, and I'm glad for that, it just seems so uninspired to me. At this point, why bother releasing a new album of old songs, unless you actually plan on releasing a real album at some point. Six years is a long time to wait, and I suppose you could say I've moved on.

Sure, I'll still go to soul asylum shows, and now that will likely involve flying halfway across the country. I'm okay with that, because half the fun of the shows has always been seeing everyone else there. The band is also is top form live, and has never really let me down, so that's a non-issue. I suppose I never expected the band to do anything after Karl died, so maybe cleaning out their closet so to speak was needed. But if they were going to do that, why not release more than 10 songs. They had many many many songs from the past 20 years they could have recorded for this album. They were already written, and finished, just not released anywhere.

Seems odd to only release a few of them on an album of 10 songs.

Sorry for such a negative view on things, I don't mean to be negative, I suppose I've moved on. Soul Asylum will always be important to me, and dear to my life, but there are new rock bands who I look up to just as much... ones who put on great live shows, write amazing songs, tour regularly, and can't stop releasing albums.

Phil

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

philipgar wrote:Sorry for such a negative view on things, I don't mean to be negative, I suppose I've moved on.
I can't say that you have a negative view, just being honest and it's true what you say... it seems uninspired and I think that a lot of people that have been following the band and have been waiting feel the same way.

soulbrotha
Brand New Shine

Post by soulbrotha »

Looks like there's a lot of news about the album already.

http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2012/ ... y-in-july/

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

cujofats wrote:Wow.........am I the only one excited about this? From the track list provided this does not look like an album of old and tired material to me. I'm only seeing 3 older songs.....?.....I think:
"By The Way"---Indeed, the song is over 15 years old, but I'm actually curious to see how (or if) they rework it for 2012.
"I Should Have Stayed In Bed"---I loved the version from the Palais live show in 98. I'll be excited to finally have a studio version of it.
"Cruel Intentions"---I know it was played in concert 1o years ago, but we've never had a studio version. But true, it is old.
Perhaps the band feels these songs never got the attention they deserved. I'd certainly agree with that in the case of I Should Have Stayed In Bed.

Everything else looks new to me. Sure "Let's All Kill Each Other" was an internet download only song 3 years ago, but I personally really like the song and I look forward to having it on disc now. I personally still think of the song as a "new" one.....

Everyone seemed so excited when "Gravity" and "Into The Light" were played live last year. I know I was. Why is it not exciting to have a studio version now? a year or so later. It's not that uncommon for a band to try out new stuff in advance, in concert. Would we have rather the band kept these songs under wraps until now?
The way I see it we essentially have 7 new Soul Asylum songs, 2 older songs never given the studio treatment, and 1 old song re-worked for 2012.
I do apologize if any of this somehow sounds harsh to anyone, I don't intend to come off that way. It's just the immediate response on the board here to the new album we've all been waiting for seems disproportionately negative and disappointed.
i am excited i think your right.and its there right to do what they want. i dont get all the negativity either.thanks for something positive. SA is the best rock band ever.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

i WAS excited when i saw the announcement on the website main page. i didn't have any initial bad reaction to the album cover (i find i often 'don't get' album cover art anyways) i noticed july17 is not june5, and then i clicked in the forum and saw the song listing and did think it was a short list and i did notice a couple were older songs - however ones i didn't know well (and i'm one of you ' freaks' on here and everything!)

phil- you made me sad :(

anyways i'm still excited- i think having studio albums of all those songs we've heard before will be awesome (no offense but i hated the quality of the 3new song recordings) and also i think the original LAKEO might be updated on here too i'm curious to see (hear).
mostly i'm excited that they will be touring more again - well i already have a show in my area in august that i'm excited for!!!!! ;)