New Album "Delayed Reaction" out July 17th, 2012

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Re: New Album "Delayed Reaction" out July 17th, 2012

Post by AlyssaJones »

Closer wrote: I was wondering about that... doesn't Jakob run the site anymore together with Jim? Because he isn't mentioned in the booklet. Just curious.
That was a mistake. Jim has told both Wes AND Dave multiple times that Jakob helps with the site but apparently they forgot. :(

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

AlyssaJones wrote:
Closer wrote: I was wondering about that... doesn't Jakob run the site anymore together with Jim? Because he isn't mentioned in the booklet. Just curious.
That was a mistake. Jim has told both Wes AND Dave multiple times that Jakob helps with the site but apparently they forgot. :(
Oh, ok... I thought that maybe he wasn't part of the site anymore.

Don't worry Jakob, we appreciate you! ; )

foureyedsometimes
Runaway

Post by foureyedsometimes »

Monolith Maniac wrote:
inasimplerhyme wrote:I'm also curious about another detail of the vinyl. The only full albums I own on vinyl are Hang Time and Horse..., (everything else is on CD) but a funny quirk I've always enjoyed is that they've numbered their album sides sequentially since the beginning; the implication being that all their albums are one giant work. I'm not sure if it continued with Grave Dancers, but Hang Time is listed as being Sides 9 and 10 with Horse being 11 and 12. It'd be great if they continued that tradition.

-Jon
The first one not to not follow the trend was Candy From A Stranger (it stopped with Let Your Dim Light Shine).

The Silver Lining had no vinyl, so the past 2 albums haven't had any numbering.
1. The vinyl has sides 1 & 2. Shame.
2. There is no DL code.
3. There is no inner sleeve or lyric sheet with the LP. Overall the vinyl is very shoddily packaged.
4. Isn't it about time someone put nout TSL on LP?
Can't put a square peg in a hole that's round.....

PAULY
Caged Rat

Post by PAULY »

yea really wuld of liked the silver lining on vinyl ... for my complete soul asylum collection ... but i guess it is complete since it doesnt exsist i say

marionette
Runaway

Post by marionette »

Not looking at the vinyl for sound lyrics or packaging. It sounds amazing.

I'm coming out of my shoes!

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I think there are probably several reasons why a record wasn't issued for The Silver Lining:

1. There was not a huge demand 6 years ago for records when The Silver Lining came out. Only within the past 2-3 years they have been making a slow comeback.

2. It costs quite a bit to have a record mastered and Sony/Legacy probably didn't think it'd even be worth their time and money to have one mastered (especially for SA who weren't big anymore).

3. Records definitely don't hold as much time as a CD. TSL is almost 52 minutes, the longest of any of their albums (though I doubt they would have included Fearless Leader on there, which would have made it shorter, plus that big gap). The average LP is 20 minutes per side (though the Columbia ones used the 26 minutes per side) due to being longer than 40 minutes. The longer a record is, the more quality gets lost (like a VHS tape, if the tape is recorded at an extended play speed the picture gets more degraded). This was one reason why many older albums were shorter to begin with (or so I read somewhere a while back). I did just come across this information.

Looking at various sites that specialize in converting CD's to records, it would cost almost $200 just for one copy. :shock: :!:

Regardless I wish there was one too, I know I would have bought at least one, already got one for every other album (even Delayed Reaction).
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

Dave told me once recently that he owns the only vinyl copy of the Silver Lining. Perhaps if there is enough demand, they could press some more as a special release. If there's one, then they can make more! Maybe colored vinyl......marbled colored vinyl. Oohhhh! I like this idea! I need to complete my set!

foureyedsometimes
Runaway

Post by foureyedsometimes »

lucy wrote:Dave told me once recently that he owns the only vinyl copy of the Silver Lining. Perhaps if there is enough demand, they could press some more as a special release. If there's one, then they can make more! Maybe colored vinyl......marbled colored vinyl. Oohhhh! I like this idea! I need to complete my set!
If there is one - that means that there is a pressing plate (unless it's been destroyed) so this would make the LP cheaper to produce.
As to length, maybe a double LP would suffice - and would sound much better and with more bass, as the grooves would be wider.
Maybe start a petition??

Vinyl was popular 6 years ago too, just major labels hadn't seen the money making potential back then, now virtually every album is released on vinyl, and major labels charge a feckin fortune for them....
Can't put a square peg in a hole that's round.....

PAULY
Caged Rat

Post by PAULY »

true true vinyl shuldnt be that much most of the punk bands i listen too like screecing weasel and the queers for example been putting out their albums on vinyl along as well on cds for like 20 years now and they never been on major labels so god knows they dont have money....i think its up to the major labels if they decide to or not if it wuld be worth it money wise or not for them...idk who knows but i wuld like some silver lining vinyl but dont see it happening. { by the way if anybody cares interpunk.com sells alot a vinyl for punk bands good stuff}