New Album "Delayed Reaction" out July 17th, 2012

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
jasonC
Caged Rat

Re: New Album "Delayed Reaction" out July 17th, 2012

Post by jasonC »

[/quote]

Well I have a live version on the Runaway Train single but didn't know that an actual "studio" version existed. Either way its gonna be new to me especially if its reworked.[/quote]

That is the studio version.[/quote]

To me its a "live version" but it doesn't matter, its a fantastic song regardless and I'm sure it will sound quite different on the new record.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Then GDU must be a "live album."

This is the tracklisting for that CD. There are two live songs on there, neither of which is By the Way.

http://enterthesoulasylum.com/discograp ... way_train/

Should Have Stayed in Bed was officially released as a live recording, perhaps you were thinking of that.

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

...this is kind of a let-down. The cover art is often bad, but this is exceptional even for Soul Asylum. I already know that I don't care for 7 of the tracks on the record. I probably got my hopes too high because of how insanely solid TSL was. But I just can't get excited for an EP of mediocre songs that I've already heard, when I was expecting an album.

Of course I'll give it a chance, it could be structured to be the most cohesive album of all time. But I'm not exactly optimistic.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

jasonC
Caged Rat

Post by jasonC »

Yaz McBoo wrote:Then GDU must be a "live album."

This is the tracklisting for that CD. There are two live songs on there, neither of which is By the Way.

http://enterthesoulasylum.com/discograp ... way_train/

Should Have Stayed in Bed was officially released as a live recording, perhaps you were thinking of that.
My fault, it always sounded live to me for some reason. I see now that Never Really Been and Black Gold are the live versions. Anyway all that aside, I am excited for the new record.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Which three do you care for? Do the three that we haven't heard count? I hope no one is disappointed that Gravity/The Streets/Into The Light on there. I thought they were pretty well received, and I think we all expected they'd be on the new album. There should be no surprise about those songs, and I'm not the least bit let down that they are on there. I do agree about the let-down of recycling *three* *very old* songs and one old-ish throwaway.
Last edited by Yaz McBoo on Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

ATKF
Stranger

Post by ATKF »

Well I don't know why everyone is getting their titties in a twist for. I am over joyed that there is a new album. Thus far I love all the songs I know on there (3 well and 4 not so well) and can't wait to hear final studio takes of them. I think the album cover is great too - reminds me of war time Europe, pretty funny in a not so funny way.

For me the main thing is it's new stuff from my favourite band. It means they are active and at it. Hopefully touring somewhere I can see them to boot.

I keep faith that this is a bunch of guys who have made the best album that they could of songs they like. For me that is the only way that as an artist you can stay true to your art. People will always want something different, or more, or this or that from you. If they felt they needed to re-record Made to be Broken to make a cleaner version I'd be cool with it if they believed in it. They could call it Made to be Fixed - ha. I repect them and the music they make. That doesn't mean I like it all blindly but I does mean I want from them what they want to give me to listen to.

Long live SA.

Robert

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

Hi everyone! Saw this news in Facebook. I'm so glad they'll be releasing a new album!

Any gigs in United Kingdom this year?

:ugeek:
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

ATKF wrote:Well I don't know why everyone is getting their titties in a twist for. I repect them and the music they make.
Everyone respects them and the music they make... why else would they be here.

I'm confused why some people don't understand that not everyone has the same opinion on the track listing of the new album. I can understand that some are not disappointed, and that's great, but several people have made valid points why it's disappointing for them... doesn't mean you have to share that opinion, but you can at least understand that someone else sees it a different way.

TravisSaves
Social Butterfly

Post by TravisSaves »

I trust Dave and Dan as musicians. For all we know, they may have recorded 20 tracks (including many more we never heard) and thought these ten were simply the best for what they wanted this CD to be. Also, the tracks we heard that will be on this album may have been re-worked a bit, just like "Oxygen" was for The Silver Lining.

I haven't heard the ten recordings that will be on this CD and therefore I'm super excited!

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

Yaz McBoo wrote:Which three do you care for? Do the three that we haven't heard count? I hope no one is disappointed that Gravity/The Streets/Into The Light on there. I thought they were pretty well received, and I think we all expected they'd be on the new album. There should be no surprise about those songs, and I'm not the least bit let down that they are on there. I do agree about the let-down of recycling *three* *very old* songs and one old-ish throwaway.
I haven't enjoyed any of the seven I've heard. I'm definitely hoping for something strong out of the three I haven't- after all, it's f Soul Asylum. And the studio versions of G/TS/ITL could very well blow me away- but contrasting that with how I was already blown away by live performances of All Is Well and Oxygen, I just don't have my hopes too high.

I also hate the cover more every time I look at it. This one really takes the cake.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more