Delayed Reaction Forum User Reviews

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
PAULY
Caged Rat

Re: Delayed Reaction Forum User Reviews

Post by PAULY »

GOOD GOOD STUFF WELL WORTH THE WAIT.....OF 6 YEARS...I WILL STILL BE LAUGHING

Karlwerneth
Caged Rat

Post by Karlwerneth »

Just listened to the whole album for the first time. I can't believe I didn't even listen to the teaser tracks on this site. The recordings sound great. Some excellent vocal performances. "The Streets", "Cruel Intentions" are early favourites. "Let's All Kill Each Other" is growing on me. "Take Manhattan" is interesting. There's something about "By the Way" that is a let down; though I was hoping to love a new version of it. All in all, I am pleased. I hope they continue to release music for many years to come. Start the count down for the next album!!

Asylunt
O'Jeezer

Post by Asylunt »

This is really growing on me, I love all the tracks with Let's All Kill Each Other as my least favorite that is starting to grow on me too, find it stuck in my head. I really feel like the universe has blessed me with a gift of new Soul Asylum Material and several shows to catch this year. It has been a great distraction from life as a grown up. Waiting for this Album felt like waiting for CFAS to come out when I was 17, the radio pushing it, the MOA show, this all seemed like more album push than I had seen sony do with them for the last couple albums. The little band that could is still chugging and Delayed Reaction is a fine album, the old stuff is stuff I really love and am glad to have By The Way and I Should've Stayed In Bed as album tracks, even more excited that they are gonna be part of the live show as well. Cruel Intentions is great, I have always like the passion in that song. The Bonus tracks are good, Heard the Beatles and Generation X covers on the Radio already, Take Manhattan and the Juice are those sweet gems that often get overlooked, I love how it all blends together. I have absolutely no complaints and really am just loving the moment because I didn't know if I would get this again, and it is honestly awesome to have some great tunes for the chapter of life I am in now. I hope you guys all enjoy it too.
Would you look into my eyes if I were to go blind?

better late
Social Butterfly

Post by better late »

Asylunt, your passion is contagious and I loved reading your "review".

After picking up a copy on my way to work from Best Buy (good thing 'cause the pre-order still hasn't been delivered to my door), I caught bits and pieces on my computer at work (not the best sound quality). Then, although I really didn't need to go out for lunch, I braved the 1000 degree temp, combined with the 150% humidity, just so I could hear some of it in my car.

Finally, got home and listened to it like it should be listened to. I love it. I couldn't say what's my least favorite, what's my favorite...I can say "Cruel Intentions" struck a chord. To the reviewers here, New Orleans has done Dave good and vice versa. The song is a songwriter's indulgence - they do it well - Allen Toussaint would be proud.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

I've only listened to the album once so far, so here are my first impressions:

All in all, it feels like a solid album and seems like a natural progression of their music from what we've seen them release after The Silver Lining. I didn't find any new Runaway Train yet, but songs like that are few and far between for a reason.

I had listened to Into the Light once earlier (a live recording, I believe), and back then I didn't make anything special of it, especially after somebody suggested that "Best day ever" might be a reference to SpongeBob. That just gave me an odd feeling about the song. This time around, however, I have to say that's the track that stood out the most to me. The lyrics appealed to me and the overall sound just felt good.

The lead single and opening track Gravity seems the most suitable for the job. To me, it feels somewhat like a Sometime To Return mixed with the band's new sound. It doesn't stand out as much, but that doesn't bother me too much. As somebody mentioned earlier, Delayed Reaction probably plays better when you listen to the entire album as opposed to standalone tracks.

On a side note, it's kind of fun to see how they placed one of their longest songs ever at 5:10 as the album's closing track.

Those are all the thoughts I can give at the moment. I'll have to listen to it a few more times before I can make up my mind about everything else.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

philgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philgar »

I still haven't decided my exact feelings on this, but, I must say, I don't think the 1-2-3 punch of the first 3 tracks is matched on any of their other albums. I think those three are some of the most rocking songs on the album, and they really bring back a feeling of the old days. It's obvious what a difference Michael has in the band, I mean, I like when the band pursues their slower stuff, and other avenues, but their punk rock roots can show in those first three songs, and they bring back an era that seems so far away. It just seems so fun for them, doing what they've always done, a comfortable zone for sure. I suppose the last album to feature such rocking first three songs would be hang time, every other one has had other songs mixed in.

Of course, there's still an album past the first three songs... And we've all been listening to the first ones for so long already, but it's great to have a real version of them. I've listened to the whole album 4 or 5 times now, and am still coming to judgement with the rest... but from what i can tell:

by the way - better version on here than before, but nothing really "new" about it, kind of has a feeling of horse on it.
Pipe Dream - an alright song, hasn't really grown on me as much as the others yet,that will probably change
Let's All Kill Each Other - I never cared too much for this song, seemed like a throw away, but now that it's on an album I think I like it more... Has a fun groove to it, but still kind of a joke song.
Cruel Intentions - not sure how this fits on the album, but I've always loved this song. Not sure it does the live version justice, but sounds similar. Quite well done.
The Juice - I need to listen to this one more. It's a good song, but Idon't know it that well yet.
Take Manhattan - I'm really digging this song, and will say it's a great use of the F bomb, reminds me of sometime to return because of that, but overall, a very rocking song that's just a lot of fun to play.
I should've stayed in bed - great great great song... This is an oldy, and I don't know if this adds much over the Palais Royale version (that was a pretty kick ass version to say the least). It's great to see it officially released, and it really holds up well. Not sure i would have chosen this as an album closer.

For the remaining bonus songs, they also have a good fun punk rock feel to them (well not good morning, but that would be ... odd if it did). The cover songs are great, and I'd love love love to see them continuing to release their punk rock covers... Do a download thing like paul or whatever. The band seems to be having fun playing them, and really kicks ass at it. Having Michael in the band really adds a lot. Tommy adds something too, but I don't know if I'd consider him more "punk rock" than Karl was, as Karl was the one into more punk than the others. I'm sure Karl looks down upon the guys playing those covers and just smiles ear to ear to see the band doing what they always did best,and loving it.

Phil

chambo
Stranger

Post by chambo »

I'm the guy that flew to Seattle from Australia last year to see my favorite band at the King Cat Theater. The show was cancelled the day before. Can you imagine the heartbreak??

So glad that we have a new album though. These are rare moments indeed. Purchased my copy last night and went home and sat down and loved it. Woke up this morning and played it straight away again. Very happy with the whole thing but will let it all sink in before settling on favorite songs etc.

Welcome back Soul Asylum and please come to Australia...

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

chambo wrote:I'm the guy that flew to Seattle from Australia last year to see my favorite band at the King Cat Theater. The show was cancelled the day before. Can you imagine the heartbreak??
No. Jesus.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

LuckyLittleGirl
Runaway

Post by LuckyLittleGirl »

I see there are mixed reviews for Cruel Intentions.
I went to make sure I imported it to iTunes so I could hand the disc over to my mom (my postman has been very patient with me about hounding him for my signed copy. He's even excited too! I like him).
iTunes informed me that, while I listened to everything else twice (except take manhattan-which I cheated and heard early on YouTube, and 4x yesterday), I enjoyed Cruel Intentions seven times last night. Suffice it to say, I like it. It brings to mind patsy cline. Except the end piano bit that makes me picture gene wilder singing "in a world of pure imagination" every time.
I love it all. Bravo and thank you guys :)

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

I'm kind of astonished by the reaction to Cruel Intentions. My wife loves it too. Although she did say "It sounds like it should be sung by a woman stretched across a piano."
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more