Dave's Voice

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
jamez
Stranger

Dave's Voice

Post by jamez »

Hey guys! It's unfortunate my first post on this site comes off kinda negatively, but has anyone noticed how Dave's voice has changed in recent years?
I saw them for the first time in 2009 in Vancouver and they were great! Then i saw them at the Nakusp Music Fest last year and Dave's voice sounded like it was ripped in half! This seems to be the case in alot of recent youtube vidoes too.

I dunno, anyone else notice this?

TravisSaves
Social Butterfly

Re: Dave's Voice

Post by TravisSaves »

I saw Soul Asylum two weeks ago at New York's Bowery Ballroom and Dave sounded absolutely incredible.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Nah, I think he still sounds great. I saw them a couple weeks ago at First Ave and he sounded fine, and I saw them in Omaha last year (which was shortly after that Nakusp show) and he also sounded fine. I've seen them 8 times in the past 4 years and there's never been anything wrong with his voice.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

He has that raspy voice thing going on, and on some days it's more worn out than on other days... there are songs on youtube from a 1995 concert where he barely has a voice left, probably a bad day or just too many shows in a row.

jasonC
Caged Rat

Post by jasonC »

I've noticed it on the last two records, more hoarse and raspy sounding.

Karlwerneth
Caged Rat

Post by Karlwerneth »

Yes. Age, lack of use, over-use, abuse (smoking, drinking, screaming) are all factors that affect his voice. For a guy with a lower speaking voice, I've noticed that he usually sings quite higher, which usually works. I love the way he sings... most recently "Cruel Intentions" comes to mind. I hope he will continue for years to come.

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

I think he sounds awesome live, but it does seem like he's changed it up on the records. My favorite thing about Soul Asylum when I first heard them was that sharp edge in his voice- it was so unique, and so much better than any other vocals that were on the radio in the 90's (yes, the 90's- I was born in '85, my crib didn't have a radio :P ) Now, most of the time he's got the singing a little kid a lullaby voice. But I know that it's probably out of necessity, and I'm just glad he's still bringing it however he can. He does the old songs justice, and that's awesome.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

matchooh
Stranger

Post by matchooh »

With any singer thats around for decades, you'll notice a difference in their voice. As its been said already, age, drinking, smoking, etc. will all have an effect on a singer's voice.

Even if a vocalist takes superb care of their voice forever, it will natually change a bit with age on its own.

I think Dave still sounds great. Especially in a song like "The Streets." That seems like a TOUGH song to sing and he just nails it!

jamez
Stranger

Post by jamez »

Don't get me wrong, I think Dave's voice was at it's best on The Silver Lining, and the concerts that followed were amazing!
I still think he sounds great on this record too. Infact, The Streets gets played the most on my itunes. His voice is raspy, in-tune, and strong...But listening to some recent concert videos, His voice is all over the place and hard to listen to now.

Take a listen to the 1st verse of Into The Light, incase no one knows what im talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWT-Yg_fZrA

I guess there's nothing you can do when it comes to age. Either way, i'll still be seeing them again next time they're near Vancouver.

jamez
Stranger

Post by jamez »

^^^ I take that back actually. (About his voice too painful to listen to) Just unconsciously venting i guess lol.