Interview with Dave

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
better late
Social Butterfly

Interview with Dave

Post by better late »

More like an very interesting conversation....

www.myspiltmilk.com

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Re: Interview with Dave

Post by AlyssaJones »

Cool, thanks for posting. :)

I have to admit though, and I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but it was kinda boring. I just feel like all these interviews are the same thing over and over. New Orleans this, jazz that, oh, you played trumpet in high school? Real groundbreaking. I mean it's not Dave's fault, it's the interviewers asking him the same things all the time. Like okay, we get it, the man moved to New Orleans. Ask him something else already. He's 48 years old, been in a band for 31, and has a family and a plethora of life experiences behind him. And New Orleans is the only thing they ever talk about? I mean I guess the average radio listener couldn't care less about his pets names or what color his living room walls are, but there's alot more to Dave than the past 10 years of his life.

I don't know. I appreciate any media and interviews Dave gets, but I just wish they were a little more diverse in the content.

better late
Social Butterfly

Post by better late »

Like I said, this really was more like a conversation than an interview...and, since it was in a New Orleans cafe and with a New Orleans based writer, it may have been a little heavier on this city than some other interviews. And, sometimes he talks about it before they even ask. I always enjoy hearing Dave's impressions of New Orleans and the music that is such an integral part of this city. Personally, I like that angle...but I could be bias. :lol:

And, in between all that "boring" talk about New Orleans, there was some talk on other subjects, which was interesting to me. And, of course, the classical music in the background added such a refined air to the proceedings.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

AlyssaJones wrote:Cool, thanks for posting. :)

I have to admit though, and I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but it was kinda boring. I just feel like all these interviews are the same thing over and over. New Orleans this, jazz that, oh, you played trumpet in high school? Real groundbreaking. I mean it's not Dave's fault, it's the interviewers asking him the same things all the time. Like okay, we get it, the man moved to New Orleans. Ask him something else already. He's 48 years old, been in a band for 31, and has a family and a plethora of life experiences behind him. And New Orleans is the only thing they ever talk about? I mean I guess the average radio listener couldn't care less about his pets names or what color his living room walls are, but there's alot more to Dave than the past 10 years of his life.

Yeah, I agree they are getting a little boring and repetitive, but you got to realize the average listener isn't following Soul Asylum and Dave like we are. The average radio listener, no matter who/what it'd be about would rather hear something more current (something that help lead to the release of Delayed Reaction) than something that happened 25+ years ago on the recording process of Say What You Will... (which of course, I personally would rather hear :P ).

I guess its also "boring" to us because it helps "promote" the new album to everyone which of course he wants to do (Dave: "Yeah, I love the New Orleans music, you can hear it on these songs; Michael Bland, just who I was looking for all these years; all of our 30+ year carrier sound is on this album") and it lets listeners know while they were out (no pun intended :) ) of the spotlight, they were still writing music and not just making a comeback album.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Well I agree that most listeners are more interested in the sort of thing they ask Dave about than the sort of thing we'd like to hear about, but there's gotta be more stuff worth talking about than recapping the the past decade and talking about New Orleans.

I really enjoyed the bits of the interview that weren't that stuff (like the mats talk at the end), but the majority of it was the same old, "yeah I've learned alot about music since I moved here."

But whatever, I'd rather hear Dave talk about New Orleans than not talk at all. ;)

better late
Social Butterfly

Post by better late »

The real problem here is Dave. Sometimes he talks about it even when they don't ask him about it.

Guess even after all these years, whatever lured him here still has him under its spell. :D

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

I think that's the second time he's mentioned The Avengers in an interview. I guess he really liked it.