Dan's status with the band

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
whiskeytango
Marionette

Re: Dan's status with the band

Post by whiskeytango »

Feels like they have stepped into the realm of being irresponsible here. It doesn't have an impact on me directly but if I had tickets to an upcoming show I'd be pretty unhappy with the lack of communication.

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

im sure there's good reasons.if not it will still be a awesome show.how could it not be.maybe there's legal reasons or like someone said they might be working it out.i know they care about the fans but there's a little bit of punk in these guys thats one of the reasons we love them.

jadens20
Brand New Shine

Post by jadens20 »

Hard to believe that July 20th was the last time I would see Soul Asylum. Been a fan for about 24 years and I have seen 40 plus shows. To me, the band hasn't been the same since Grant Young departed, and with the death of Karl Mueller, God rest his soul, I had second thoughts about ever seeing a show again. Then came Tommy Stinson. Those were some of the best shows I've seen. I've seen a couple Dave Pirner solo shows. It was ok. I really don't know how you can call them Soul Asylum any longer. It's not. Well, good luck to Dan Murphy, and thanks to him for all the great shows and putting up with my drunkeness the couple of times I talked to him. 31 years is awsome. Thanks, and so long Soul Asylum! Steve

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

TravisSaves wrote:Wouldn't it be hilarious if the official statement from the band is something along the lines of this:

As you all know, Dan missed our show last weekend in Spain. Well, it all happened for a great reason. As you may have just read, The Replacements are working on a new covers album. First, Dan was asked to help lay down some tracks on the new record which just so happened to be on the same day as our already booked Spain show. To help our good buddy, Tommy, he happily did this and therefore we found someone to fill in for Dan while he was in the studio. Second, we're happy to announce that we'll be joining The Replacements on all dates of the upcoming nationwide The Replacements reunion tour.

Hey, it's fun to think positively :D

well you know, this really can't be too far off could it?

http://blogs.citypages.com/gimmenoise/paul_westerberg/

:mrgreen:
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.

missthisgone
Inmate

Post by missthisgone »

Has anything shown up in print (papers, magazines) about Dan?

If rolling stone doenst have a story or at least a snippet i will be highly pissed.......

Dan was a huge part of soul asylum and i have enjoyed him taking time to speak with me when he did.

Now granted i will follow dave around til he or i die!! but still the end of an era nonetheles....please mention of there is any printed press out there about danny leaving...i am a collector

thanks

Lance

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

I'm not sure if these two articles are in the print versions of their respective magazines but here's what I found on Google News:

Rolling Stone: Soul Asylum Co-Founder Dan Murphy Leaves Band
Star Tribune: Era ends as Murphy leaves Soul Asylum

Rolling Stone even listed our site as the source of the news.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

The Star Tribune had printed articles on both Wednesday and Friday.

Tracy
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Though I was sad to finally read the news, I was happy that this site was mentioned in some of the news coverage. Yay for our fansite. :)