Dan's status with the band

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Re: Dan's status with the band

Post by AlyssaJones »

LuckyLittleGirl wrote: i dont know who you are guy, but thanks for pulling the rug out from under me. i dig that rug, and you're a thief. and i'm not shooting the messenger, i just don't think it's polite to try and make us feel like "our band" is holding out on us....he actually said "you deserve better than this." that is some hooey.
Whoever he is, he's an arrogant d-bag, even if he is telling the truth.

philgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philgar »

AlyssaJones wrote:
LuckyLittleGirl wrote: i dont know who you are guy, but thanks for pulling the rug out from under me. i dig that rug, and you're a thief. and i'm not shooting the messenger, i just don't think it's polite to try and make us feel like "our band" is holding out on us....he actually said "you deserve better than this." that is some hooey.
Whoever he is, he's an arrogant d-bag, even if he is telling the truth.
I'd have to disagree. If the band is carrying on without Dan, the fans have a right to know. Especially before they play more shows. We do deserve to know what we're paying for, and personally, I dont think it's really soul asylum without Dan. It would probably still be a good show, but there comes a time when you cut your losses and retire your name before it parodies itself.

Soul asylum has had a great run for over 30 years, and if Danny thinks its time to stop, I respect him for it. I don't know if he's going for good or not, but if so (and signs do point to this being the case) don't follow axl's lead and keep the name alive. Maybe it is time for something new.

I love this band, and really don't want to see them go, but they've been on "borrowed time" since Karl died, and possibly before considering the part time nature of the gig. I accepted this fate years ago, and I suppose I was uneasy seeing them without Karl. I understood keeping it together to remember Karl, but that seems to be over now. I'd love to see the band reunite occasionally, and Dave to move on with something new. Soul asylums had a great run, but every good thing must also end. Is that time now? Sorry for the pessimistic tone, but I look upon the past six years of the bands history as something wonderful. Like the relative who had a near death illness and then manages to live a while longer. Every show was cherished like it was their last, and I never thought they'd return to record or be where they were beforehand. Now if Dan wants to end it, let him. He gave the band thirty years of his life, and likely questioned where it was going and where he was going. If he wants out, then perhaps the band should call it a day as well.

Phil

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

philgar wrote:

I'd have to disagree.
Oh please...you don't think someone referring to themselves as a "detached observer with no dog in the hunt" is arrogant and douchey? Even if he is telling the truth, he sounds like a complete jackass. Is he wrong for letting us know this? No, especially if it turns out to be true. But his attitude is certainly obnoxious and self-centered. He's all, "Ooh, I know something and you don't! Where did I hear it? I'LL NEVER TELL! HAHAHAHA!!" *attempts dramatic exit involving a cape*

Honestly... no one would conduct themselves like that if they were trying to be truly selfless. I can see right through this moron.

LuckyLittleGirl
Runaway

Post by LuckyLittleGirl »

I had a lot to say after I read what Phil said...but I'll just go with what Alyssa said. You rock lady! I don't disagree with the fact that Dan is an adult that can do as he pleases. But I won't pretend that I won't be devastated if what's being rumored is true. I have not braced myself for this so it's lame to have some faceless stranger rudely delivering the news. Not shooting the messenger...waiting to hear from the source. Thanks for the smiles Alyssa, we are on the exact same page. And my mom agrees with you too :)

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

ack!!! Now the rumors over on the Jayhawks page are saying Mark Olson is no longer in the band! The horror, what am I going to do !?!?!

:roll:
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Whether the person who posted the rumor is a d-bag or not is the least important thing here, and let's not debase ourselves to name-calling anyway. Fact is, something is up and we've only gotten cryptic info from the band. Yes, we're glad to hear that everyone is OK, but now we want to know if Dan is in the band or not. I can't imagine that Dan is taking his time to make such a decision while they play gigs with a replacement guitarist. If it's a done deal, the band could at least let us know (they plan to let us know, but when?). We don't need a reason why, that's Dan's own business, but then we can move on and thank him for 30 years of great rock music with Dave and Karl et al, and look forward to some Dave shows. A statement of any decision that has been made will suffice. And if he is in the band for good but out indefinitely for whatever reason he wants to keep to himself, let us know that too.

better late
Social Butterfly

Post by better late »

EasyStreet wrote:ack!!! Now the rumors over on the Jayhawks page are saying Mark Olson is no longer in the band! The horror, what am I going to do !?!?!

It is as they say, "The world is going to hell in a hand basket". :cry:

Marta
Runaway

Post by Marta »

It would probably still be a good show
retire your name before it parodies itself
If he's going for good or not (and signs do point to this being the case
Wow. Phil and I are NOT on the same page.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Yaz McBoo wrote:Whether the person who posted the rumor is a d-bag or not is the least important thing here, and let's not debase ourselves to name-calling anyway.
Very true, but just callin' em like I sees 'em. :P

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

EasyStreet wrote:ack!!! Now the rumors over on the Jayhawks page are saying Mark Olson is no longer in the band! The horror, what am I going to do !?!?!

And now this?!!?!?!?!?! What is our suddenly confusing and unbelievable world coming to?

http://www.spin.com/#articles/new-repla ... westerberg

I haven't even read the article yet, just saw the headline and went, whaaat?