Dan's status with the band

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Re: Dan's status with the band

Post by Yaz McBoo »

I agree with you Phil, you are usually spot-on in your observations of the band. They could have said "Yes, Dan is OK and still in the band. We'll have a detailed statement later." But instead they chose to keep us in the dark about his status, all the while shows are still being booked and people are making plans.

LuckyLittleGirl
Runaway

Post by LuckyLittleGirl »

session timed out and i just lost my last half hour of work. when my boss wakes up i am so complaining about this.
i will summarize:
alyssa-right back 'atcha. tenfold.
travis-don't get my hopes up.
closer- if i didn't care so much, i wouldn't give a hoot.
oh ya, also: We are the coolest group of fans that a band could ever hope to have. If I do say so myself. :mrgreen:
Last edited by LuckyLittleGirl on Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Educatrix
Caged Rat

Post by Educatrix »

I concur with YazMcBoo and philgar, who expressed feelings I think I've alluded to myself: Music fans (myself included) are loath to think of bands/music as products and themselves as consumers; it brings to the fore the commoditization of music, which seems, somehow, to sully the art. However, when one's paying money to see a band/purchase albums, that's part of the relationship between musician and fan.

As consumers, fans should be told - promptly - if the product formulation (i.e. lineup) has changed. I'm not saying reasons should necessarily be disclosed - even public figures deserve to have their privacy respected. But, as others have said, it's only fair to tell consumers buying tickets what they'll be getting.

All that said, I don't want the more devoted fans (I only became a fan within the past few months) to think I'm looking down my nose at them, or telling them that they're irrational for having a lot invested in the band; I'm not. I'm maybe not as devoted as some, but I'm also a fan who'd love another chance to see the four current members play & to say hello to them again.

LuckyLittleGirl
Runaway

Educatrix...I recall you saying that before about music as a commodity. I think I recall agreeing very much so with you, and I still do.
I also concur with your....concurrence? lol I swear I know English, Im just less funny that I think I am. oh wait, googled it. it does work in that context. also, witticism is a word. it's unrelated to criticism, unless that criticism is delivered cleverly.

anyway...what i wanted to say.... i think i can see this from a few diff sides, i hear what y'all are spittin. I just wish I knew how they all are feeling about whatever it is that's going on that we will soonly talk about in a short while. it's like telling someone, 'hey i have something i need to tell you. it's important and might crush your spirit slightly, but let's talk about it later and i'm not telling you when.' too much rhyme and riddle. out with it. let's make it like band-aid removal, just let 'er rip.

and again, any friend of Soul Asylum is a friend of mine.
Last edited by LuckyLittleGirl on Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

darth monkey
Lone Rider

Post by darth monkey »

I do agree that we should all be known at whats going on with Dan. What I do think is that is some aren't sharing (Monolith Manic I'm talking to you) everything that they know about this whole ordeal. You're the moderator and said you'd "supposedly" let us know whats going on, yet you only give us a semi "official" sentence long statement which which you got and it doesn't really amount to anything. It leaves us at a bigger cliffhanger on what this whole ordeal is about. Dude, why bother saying that, or were you trying to scare us more. I'm sure other members here do agree with me.

If you aren't hiding anything else how come you aren't contributing anything else to this thread besides one sentence; I think you'd be the main person talking in this whole thread.

I can't be the only one thinking this, right?

LuckyLittleGirl
Runaway

i must also share (on a lighter note):

Change? shoot.
I guess change is good for any of us
Whatever it take for any of y'all to get up out the hood
Shoot, I'm wit cha, I ain't mad at cha
Got nuttin but love for ya, do your thing boy

to sir, with love. california love ;)

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

There is no evidence that anyone associated with the band told Jim any more than what he has shared. And if they did share anything with him in confidence, then Jim should very well keep it to himself. He owes us nothing, it is not his job to speak for the band. The band will let us know in due time, not Jim, it's just taking them a lot longer than we all wish.

LuckyLittleGirl
Runaway

darth monkey-i feel ya, but don't shoot Jim because he's not messenging us enough. I'm sure he's just as broken up as all of us...just like anyone- would be.

man if it's the thought that counts, SA can always count on this chick.
I think about [them].....every once in a while ;)

xoSAxo
Last edited by LuckyLittleGirl on Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Yaz McBoo wrote:There is no evidence that anyone associated with the band told Jim any more than what he has shared. And if they did share anything with him in confidence, then Jim should very well keep it to himself. He owes us nothing, it is not his job to speak for the band.
Thank you, Yaz.

Darth Monkey, you don't know Jim, so you have no right to say things like that about him. You seriously have no idea what you're talking about. He is my boyfriend and a good friend of many of the folks here, and nobody here is going to take kindly to your accusations.

And F.Y.I., I guarantee that he doesn't know anything more.

darth monkey
Lone Rider

Post by darth monkey »

I agree but something like this though shouldn't be kept waiting that's why I'd just like Monolith or someone who can tell us ASAP what happened (or even before we found out firsthand).

Like I said "someone" here should have already said something if not the day it happened or beforehand without the fans finding out themselves. ;)
Last edited by darth monkey on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.