Dan's status with the band

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Marta
Runaway

Re: Dan's status with the band

Post by Marta »

Thank you Travis. I'm not completely relieved but a LITTLE better, at least it doesn't sound like a health issue. I wonder how soon is soon. This is very upsetting.

whiskeytango
Marionette

Post by whiskeytango »

They had to have known there would be questions about this at some point. Surprised they didn't have a statement ready to go.

Educatrix
Caged Rat

Post by Educatrix »

I was mighty surprised to see that I'd posted a thread! ;)

As others have said, "...we'll be in touch shortly with more info" doesn't sound like "Dan's still a full-time member and couldn't make Spain 'cause of an emergency root canal/his cousin's kid's christening/illness in the family".

Unfortunately, it sounds much more like "Dan's no longer with the band/Dan's pulling a Bun E. Carlos and recording albums, but not touring anymore." I'll be bummed if that's the case, but I'll just have to hope he tours with Golden Smog or another outfit.

better late
Social Butterfly

Post by better late »

My first response was "Okey dokey" 'cause I'm not really sure what it "sounds like."

From what I understand, Mr. Carlos had back problems for quite some time and everyone kind of saw that one coming.

Educatrix
Caged Rat

Post by Educatrix »

better late wrote:From what I understand, Mr. Carlos had back problems for quite some time and everyone kind of saw that one coming.
Oh, definitely. I more just meant the end result might be similar (only doing recordings).

I kind of think of the possibility of a line-up alteration like this:

If the band makes some decision that changes the touring and/or recording line-up in a major way, it'll suck; I absolutely want to see more shows with Dan as the lead guitarist. However, I think no "true" fan - whatever that means - would argue that the guys should put fans' happiness above their own. So, if there's a line-up change, it's hopefully because it's in everyone's best interests, and we'll have to console ourselves with that assumption.

mrsromek
Inmate

Post by mrsromek »

WOW-I just thought a few minutes ago...I'll check out SA's site to see about any new shows....saw a Milwaukee one, and then this!??!

I hate to say it, but many of the bands I am into and see live don't have all their members. And, most of the time's it is not due to health, or death. They've carried on. I hate to see it, but it happens.

My initial thought is that they don't play much live as it is, so I am curious to learn what's up......

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

All i can say is if Dan isnt in the band anymore thats fine im happy for him he might not enjoy it anymore or he might not be making that much money out of being in the band as little as they tour.but if Dave carry's on SA ill see them anytime they are within 200 miles of me.

LuckyLittleGirl
Runaway

Post by LuckyLittleGirl »

i dont know who you are guy, but thanks for pulling the rug out from under me. i dig that rug, and you're a thief. and i'm not shooting the messenger, i just don't think it's polite to try and make us feel like "our band" is holding out on us....he actually said "you deserve better than this." that is some hooey. if one of my worst fears is true, i would never tell danny or anyone else that they did me wrong. like has been said, if it's what's best for him, then more power to him. in a way. but also...damn it! i love me some murphy. i hope this is all a fabrication of the worst kind and we can all laugh at this. Soon. I hope the official announcement of "proceed to laugh. then still be laughing." is coming soonly.
everything is going to be okay. just breathe. then laugh.

and tomorrow, i hope you will still be laughing.
Last edited by LuckyLittleGirl on Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LuckyLittleGirl
Runaway

Post by LuckyLittleGirl »

and I would go see 'the Dave Pirner Band' anytime, anywhere.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

I am with lucky! In a box with a fox, on a train in the rain. And hey a Milwaukee show! I <3 pottawamani. Part a want of me wants to here.... Who else wants to go?