Dan's status with the band

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
philgar
O'Jeezer

Re: 2012 September 29th - Casilla, pabellón de la, Bilbao, S

Post by philgar »

I don't really know any facts about this beyond what's been said in here, but I don't see why the original poster would lie about something like this. If nothing else, the "band" played in Spain without Dan, and there has been nothing on Facebook or anywhere about it. If Dan couldn't make a single show a note about him missing I for personal reasons would suffice, and would dispell rumors, but we didn't get that. I told a few of you in the chat that I bet the band isn't entirely sure what is going on. It's possible Dave and the band want to play more gigs and Dan doesn't, but I'd be purely speculating on that. Who knows if there will be a future for the band. Honestly, shows haven't really been the same since Karl died. They've had good replacements, but he really helped bond the band. If they break up, I'll miss the occasional gigs, but won't be surprised. I'd hope Dave would form a new band etc. I really just hope he wouldn't carry on the soul asylum brand without Dan. If nothing else, what would Karl think of it? A one off show like this is fine, I just hope management steps in to hopefully clear things up for us.

Phil

TravisSaves
Social Butterfly

Re: 2012 September 29th - Casilla, pabellón de la, Bilbao, S

Post by TravisSaves »

I just called Savoy Label Group (770-971-8558) and told them I was a fan who was curious about Dan Murphy and the rumors of him leaving Soul Asylum. The guy who answered said he didn't know anything about it, but said I can call the California office (310-451-0451) in case they know something he doesn't.

I'll call in a few hours when they open and update all of you.

UPDATE (12:49PM EST): I keep getting the California office's voicemail.

Marta
Runaway

Let's not jump to conclusions.

Post by Marta »

Dan missed a show and so he's not in the band anymore? I'm not buying this.

Educatrix
Caged Rat

Re: Let's not jump to conclusions.

Post by Educatrix »

I concur with your assessment; while it's certainly within the realm of possibility that he's moved on, I don't think one missed show and an anonymous source of unknown credibility are ample evidence to prove anything.

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

I'm just concerned that everything's alright. i'll feel better once we get a reply. I think that it's too early to panic :) It's definitely extremely unusual for Danny to miss a show, but since it was overseas, it would be more understandable for someone to not be able to be there and knowing that it was a charity event, I can see them wanting to proceed and not cancel for something like that. Maybe he was even there but became sick and someone they knew was able fill in. Who knows? Hope everybody's okay and looking forward to hearing it from the source! Of course there's another show on the 20th and I'll be at the show on the 25th, and I certainly hope to see Danny there! I'd certainly pay to see a Dave solo show as well in whatever configuration he decided to play, but a Soul Asylum show is not a Soul Asylum show without Dan!

Educatrix
Caged Rat

Post by Educatrix »

For what it's worth, I sent a private message via the official Facebook page: I essentially explained that there's a rumor floating around here, what the rumor is, and why it got started/how it was perpetuated.

I then asked that someone quickly make an official statement, out of a sense of fairness: Folks traveling to the Richmond show to see SA as it's been configured recently - Dan, Dave, Winston, Michael - should be told whether a founding member is no longer going to perform. That way, they have the full picture when deciding whether to make the trip.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Spinning but u said it so well educatrix.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Ugh... this whole thing is seriously making me sick at my stomach. I so hope it's not true. Thanks for trying to reach out to the officials though, Educatrix. The managers haven't ever really been great communicators with the fans, but this is something that seriously needs addressing whether it's true or not.

Jim's still working on getting an answer from Wes and/or Kim, so we'll see what plays out. Speculation at this point seems kind of pointless, but I can't stop thinking about it.

It just can't end like this. There's no way. 30 years of being together doesn't just fizzle out in an instant. And if that's indeed the case and this is all true, then it makes me sad that Dan would do this and allow it to be handled in such an uncaring way. I'd like to think that the respect and graciousness they show to their fans after shows and such is real and not an act.

I don't know. I'm just praying to all that is holy in Minneapolis music that this is just a rumor.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Is Visitting horse. It is not supposed to make u feel so hopeless. Trying to make something out of nothing. Nice guys don"r get paid. Gullible ? Cartoon? Brand new shine. Keeps me hoping. Ain't nothing I can't live without.

Crawl....

P.S. Cutting room floor? Sorry OCD @ sa

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Dan's status with the band

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Although Alyssa said it I Just want everyone to be aware, I am currently in the process of trying to find out the information (getting a hold of Wes and/or Kim via phone or email which is our best answer of finding out) why Dan wasn't at the Spain concert and the rumor of him not being with the band. Hopefully I should have an answer soon.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com