A message from Dan Murphy

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Re: A message from Dan Murphy

Post by AlyssaJones »

I don't even know what to say.

This sucks.

It ain't Soul Asylum without Dan.

better late
Social Butterfly

Post by better late »

Being a late arrival, I only got to see Soul Asylum live twice. The comarderie between Dan and Dave was obvious. That connection will be sorely missed.

To Dan I wish all the best - and for the years of drudgery that it took to give me those two shows - a heartfelt thanks.

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

: ( This is a very sad day for many of us out here. You will be greatly missed. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and surely we all knew this day, or a day like this, would come some day. We just always hoped it would be another day (another world).

So sad that we will not get to see one last show with the incredible Dave / Dan duo. While I can't wrap my mind around Soul Asylum without Dan Murphy, I also don't want to live in a world where a person can not go and see a Soul Asylum show and hear a song like Closer to the Stars live and loud ever again. (Still was always waiting for Freaks, alas.) Thank you for sticking it out for all of these years. I will always go see you and Dave and buy your music in any configuration that you play in, whether it be Soul Asylum, solo, Golden Smog or anything new you create.

As much as you guys must think you know what you and your music mean to some of us out here, I don't think that you ever really understood how truly awesome you are. I was 15 years old when I saw you guys open for X in Green Bay, Wisconsin in 1985, and that day I discovered my favorite band, who would remain my favorite band to this day.

So much more I'd like to say, but that will do for now.

Thank you Dan and good luck with everything you do.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Thank you Dan for 30 years of great music, the last 14 of which I had a front row seat for. Waking up the day of a Soul Asylum show always felt like Christmas Day.

Thank you too for this, the best three minutes and fifty two seconds in rock and roll.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IAF5Q6S ... detailpage[/youtube]

Enjoy your retirement, everybody deserves one. Rock on, however you may.

Dave, keep on bringing us good music, and I hope to see all of the Northeast crew at future shows.

Danbonebrake
Brand New Shine

Post by Danbonebrake »

"Thank you for playing the way you play!"

Marta
Runaway

Post by Marta »

I thought I'd share what one of my daughters said, "Guess it’s better to burn out than to fade away. Or in Brian Wilson’s case, be fired by Mike Love"
It's good to have a sense of humor.

Marta
Runaway

Post by Marta »

Alyssa, you're still going to the show, right?

isboro1
Stranger

Post by isboro1 »

Dan, thank you for all that you made with Soul Asylum... i'm very sorry for your decision, Soul Asylum lost a big part of them. i remember at Azkena show in Spain that i spoke a lot with Dave and then Dave called you for doing some autographs, and you came quickly to do them.. thanks infinitely Dan!
Omar, by Italy

snflwr0118
Marionette

Post by snflwr0118 »

Dan,
You have given me countless moment, memories, wonderful times in my life that play to a never ending Soul Asylum soundtrack.
Thank you so very much for your years of hard work, endless determination, and being an all around damn nice guy!
I am so greatful I took my kids to see you guys at the Mall of America this summer so they had a chance to experience one of my first loves!

Thank you and best wishes always,
Azure

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Oh god no... We're not driving 7 hours for that.