A message from Dan Murphy

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Re: A message from Dan Murphy

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

thats a long time to be in SOUL ASYLUM.i play your music everyday gonna miss seeing you play.im sure you will be happier now and thats what counts.

niceguynotgettingpaid
Stranger

Post by niceguynotgettingpaid »

Sadness. I'm 31 years old and I've been listening to Soul Asylum for 20 years. Soul Asylum has been a constant in my life for the majority of my life. I've had the joy of seeing them live in the 90s, in the 00s, and a couple shows this year.

I was first introduced to Soul Asylum when Grave Dancers Union made them household names. I, like many people here, delved back into their old catalog and came to love the band more and more. When Soul Asylum faded in popularity, my love for them remained constant--and that made the connection with the band feel more personal. This wasn't the world's band. This was our band, a band that meant so much to a select group of people, a band that epitomized the simple greatness of rock, a band that was all heart and no hype.

This news makes me even more grateful for the Bowery Ballroom show this summer. It's amazing how the guys can blow me away all over again even after all the times I've seen them.

Dan, I wish you weren't going. You guys are too good and I want more shows. I want the high of seeing the full Soul Asylum magic again. But, a man has to do what a man has to do--and I wish you the best. Thank you. I've never met you in person, never (I really regret this now) hung around after the shows, but after the decades of listening to the cds, going to the shows, and following the band, I have this strange sense of losing a friend. So, thank you my friend. You've made great music for decades and you have brought joy into so many people's lives--as the many testimonies in this thread demonstrate. In this world, that's no small accomplishment.

To quote from a song I wish you guys played more, "Sometimes I feel like the lucky one."

plimsoul
Brand New Shine

Post by plimsoul »

Dan.

Will never forget your style. The goldtop. The Ampegs. The jacked-up mic stand. The power. All of it. Unforgettable.

Photo by Mark Bartel

Photo by Greg Helgeson

Photo by Greg Helgeson

Photos by Dan Corrigan

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Spinning, it is a bitter pill to swallow. 4th time around listening to Horse. Vail of tears. I am disappointed. but dan and dave r not responsible. Toys and Games. Changes every day and Comes shining through. I MAY have to get out bed. But no one called me!! Some watery tart rose from the grave and deliveredy the news just before Halloween.

Call me niave (Sp?) and swaggering. Dude it is color television. Not rocket science. Digital, smigidtal. It's about the ride!! Thought you were enjoying it too. Helpless.

Aint nothing I can't live without. Desparate. But it is not supposed to...

Can't hold a candle to Dan. I don't know, but isn't everything negotialbe. Special guest... So long? Cutting room floor? who tells you? Been so alone. Turning. Is it another lost journey? No it is a Brand new shine! So I survived and so did Dan and Dave. Glad you are both alive!!!

Karl / life may be trying to take you some where you have never been before!

All do respect! Baby steps.Call. Questions. Just want to turn it on again.

Survive! Prosper! the ride...No easy street. So when 8 turns, my way, disappear. There is not just one way, it is a two way ticket. Flying? Trying? Grouned? upmost desire? Grounded? BTW, SA helped keep me grounded.

One more dark opening, just want to feel normal. No sense. Looking over my shoulder. Bolder? I might be on your way. Who will be? In Vain. Pitched aside. I can not believe. Pant? 3 is a tough number. Far sighted. Remember me....

Grieving the king is dead! Never know what you have until it is gone and your friends are never essential when your wrong. Incedible, It has been sweeped away.

I chose to believe that it is not over. Because, I am happier that way. and I believe that somewhere someday, I will be honored again to Mr. Daniel McMurphy shredding again!

Sending hugs and <3 to all. Don't be strangers. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Great photos, thanks for digging them up.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Looking for a Silver lining Stand up and be strong, in the fog

Educatrix
Caged Rat

Post by Educatrix »

My God! They look like babies! Awesome photos; thank you.

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

I'm so grateful that you guys kept on after Karl passed- I was 13 the last time the band played my area before. I got to see three shows with you and Dave, and they were three of the best nights of my life. Wish I coulda seen the three of you play together. Thank you so much for everything. If you ever do a one-off on First Avenue or anything I will definitely get on a plane.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

One of my favorite Danny photos that I have taken at a show. This is from the Marquette University show on 4/28/1989. The band took forever to come out and start and when they did, Dan had "I stopped to smell the roses" written on his arm in marker : )

So many great shows. So much fun! Definitely some shows are the best times I ever had! Driving and flying unreasonable distances for a show! Driving across the state, to other states and flying across the country :) I will never forget when I was living in San Francisco and I had been completely crushed seeing Soul Asylum on the Spin Doctors tour that was in a huge stadium and they were little peas up there on the stage after seeing so many shows in clubs and college halls. I thought that they would never be the same again. When Dim Light was coming out, they had a show at the Caberet Metro in Chicago. My college friend who I went to tons of Soul Asylum shows with in the '80's was living there. And I flew to Chicago just for the show - the first time I flew an unreasonable distance ;) That show was so incredible - I remember seeing Caged Rat with the trumpet! And hearing all those songs for the first time. I remember the feeling that everything was going to be okay - they were still Soul Asylum even after all! As a bonus, Dave and Dan were bartending at the bar downstairs after the show. Danny made me a couple long island iced teas! When I went back for the second one he said to me "Is your friend drunk yet? I think I've been forgetting to put in the 'tea'" !

I am so sad but so grateful. Many people never have a favorite band that means this much to them (very sad for them!) and certainly most people never have their favorite band around for 31 years! I have been able to talk to Dave and Dan on several occasions and always took the opportunity to tell them how grateful I am. And if you are reading this, I'd like to take this opportunity again! Dan, thank you for Cartoon! Miracle Mile! Promises Broken! and especially Can't Go Back! which seems especially appropriate right now.

Thank you for all the memories and the great music and I hope you do get to smell the roses!

PS Thank you to the person who posted all the old photos! Love those!

TravisSaves
Social Butterfly

Post by TravisSaves »

All I can say is, Dan, you're a true inspiration to me. You're a guitarist like no other guitarist and a phenomenal songwriter. Thank you SO much for having one of the most important places in my life for the past 20 years. You'll be forever missed but never forgotten. Best of luck in everything you do! Also, feel free to release a solo album someday! :D Until then...