2013 Articles and Interviews

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

2013 Articles and Interviews

Post by AlyssaJones »

Hey everyone!

Since the band is getting more active again and playing more shows, I thought it would be cool to establish a thread for any news articles we find. I usually do a Google News search for Soul Asylum once or twice a week to see if anything new comes up, so from now on, whatever I find I'll try to post here. Here's what's come up so far; and feel free to post any you find yourself.

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/char ... id=4565762

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/2 ... source=RSS

http://www.thehour.com/arts__life/enter ... 95e20.html

Closer
Social Butterfly

Re: 2013 Articles and Interviews

Post by Closer »

That group picture they keep using is kinda funny. Dave and Michael look like veteran rockstars, too cool to smile before the camera (and Dave having his fly open) while the other two still look enthusiastic and fresh.

TravisSaves
Social Butterfly

Post by TravisSaves »

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that Charleston City Paper article is silly. The author writes that "The Silver Lining" was hardly any better than "Candy From A Stranger." I disagree with that 100%. I think "The Silver Lining" was a million times better than "Candy From A Stranger." Am I the only one, though? I hope not. It's such a great album.

lampros
Caged Rat

Post by lampros »

I agree with TravisSaves.
It was very interesting to read these articles. Thanks for sharing!!!

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

I think both albums are great, CFAS was just recorded badly which didn't do the songs any justice. I don't agree with the article anyway because it says Delayed Reaction is their best album in at least two decades, but I think it's one of their worst efforts yet. But each to their own, I seem to be the only one who thinks that anyway.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

No, I agree with you and disagree with the article. I love CFAS and I think Silver Lining is their best album. Delayed Reaction is okay... Some great songs, but it kinda falls apart as an album, especially with that stinker Cruel Intentions in there. Like WTF... I think Dave had cruel intentions when he wrote that song. I hope whatever they're working on right now is good and fresh.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Yes, it's an okay album, but after two weeks I already put it away, while for me the Silver Lining was very addictive and stayed on my heavy rotation for very long. I really tried to like Delayed Reaction as a whole album because it had been so long for new SA music to come out, but it just never did it for me unfortunately. Hopefully new music will be out sooner and I find the passion for it again.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I think the last three albums are among my least-listened to, though "Delayed Reaction" is too new to really give that label. I think I do like it better than "Silver Lining."

I became a fan 20 years ago (ugh, I feel old :shock: ) and spent the first two years of being a fan playing catch up. "Let Your Dim Light Shine" was the first SA album that I eagerly awaited, and once I bought it I played it over and over during the summer of 1995. Before "Candy" I found the online fan community and got my hands on some bootlegs, and the "Candy" finished project just didn't have the "magic" I heard from the bootlegs. Eventually it grew on me, but it wasn't played over and over like "Dim Light" was. With "Silver Lining," I think I play it less for a few reasons (1) my favorite 2001-2006 songs didn't make it on the album, (2) I still prefer the earlier version of "Oxygen" that didn't have "treeeeeeeeaaaaaaatttttment" bellowed at the end, and (3) 2006 was a particularly busy stressful year of grad school for me, so I think my memories of the album release are twisted up in memories of worrying about thesis writing and evil papers from hell.

With "Delayed Reaction," I like most of the new songs and I like the new versions of the older songs. I agree "Cruel Intentions" might have been a better fit for Dave's solo work, but I still like the song. I really like the story aspect of "Take Manhattan" and the "Just dealing with the feeling when you're feeling like you wish it was fine, You just don't talk about it" lyric. I guess ultimately, I noticed I played it over and over for awhile more than I did the previous two, though it tapered off near the end of last summer.

Ok...now I'll get started reading these articles...nice way to spend an evening snowed in!

Sarah

Dave4Prez
Caged Rat

Post by Dave4Prez »

I love that Dave said "“It’s poetry to some people, and it’s crap to others..."
I have always maintained that Dave is a poet first. People who dismiss SA as a one-hit-wonder of "Runaway Train" fame are likely too close minded to hear, really hear but is being said. The messages are sophisticated, profound and provocative.

Personally I could talk for days, weeks, hours and years about SA...er, wait...I guess I have been. Since 1990. :D

And I'm so stoked that in around 50 days, I will see the new line up for the first time here in Phoenix! Long live SA!

catnip
Lone Rider

Post by catnip »

....>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"I sort of had a talk with [drummer Michael Bland] and Dan and said I don't want to be on stage with anybody who doesn't want to be there. That was kind of the last confrontation I had with the situation," Pirner says. "It made me sad when he decided to quit, but you know he's like, 'I'm too old for this shit.' And I said, 'You were pretty much too old for this shit when you turned 18.'"

......>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Dave's quite the wit to an old road warrior who supported him for 30 years! At least Dan doesn't have to suck Dave's dick any more so Dave can feel like he's somewhat relevant in 2013.