Dave Pirner

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Re: Dave Pirner

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Jackofalltrades wrote:With the vast majority of bands, the vocals is what defines the sound.
That’s an interesting comment, and while I agree with you in the specific (Soul Asylum), I disagree with you in the general. I think Danny is a great guitar player. But I always found it unusual -- and have actually remarked to several of my friends over the years -- that Soul Asylum lacks a distinctive and unmistakable guitar voice. And yet, they're a guitar band. I personally think most guitar bands do have a signature sound apart from the vocals. Think about bands like Sonic Youth, X, Dinosaur Jr., the Pixies, Television, the Smiths, U2. Those are all bands where the guitar has an incredibly distinctive voice. And haven’t you been able to pick out bands based on a few bars of music even if it’s a new song or one you previously hadn’t head– well before the vocals kick in?

SA’s sound certainly changed over the years, but I remember thinking it was odd that as a band they didn’t have a signature guitar sound – especially since, up until now, Danny has been a constant. It’s interesting that SA’s most distinctive guitar riff is the intro that Dave plays on Somebody to Shove.

I do think that Made to Be Broken/While You Were Out-era Soul Asylum had a distinctive “chugga chugga tick tick tick” sound. And Danny did introduce a guitar style on “All the Kings Men” that resurfaced in later songs. But you are right that Dave gives Soul Asylum its sound.

Not saying it's good or bad. But I've always found it unusual.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Jackofalltrades wrote: Soul Asylum can exist without Dan and still sound like Soul Asylum. That could not happen if Dave left.
This is kinda stating the obvious, isn't it? Dave is the singer AND he writes 99% of the songs... so yeah, if they would make another album, it will sure sound like another Soul Asylum record. But for me personally that is beside the point... this guy was in the band for over 30 years... it's just not Soul Asylum with one original member, but each to their own... this is just how I see it.

What will be very missed is the background vocals... Dan had a very different voice than Dave's but those voices fitted well together.
Miss Fitt 2 wrote:[ and have actually remarked to several of my friends over the years -- that Soul Asylum lacks a distinctive and unmistakable guitar voice.
I can recognise Dan's playing a little, but I agree that he doesn't have a very distinctive sound on the guitar... but I don't find it that unusual to be honest. Most guitarists don't have that when you think about it.

ATKF
Stranger

Post by ATKF »

I think Dan has a very distinct guitar sound albeit not as obvious a sound as some other guitarists. All the fills and the melodic laying takes a real skill to write and integrate without over bearing the song. In my opinion he is a master of that as well as being able to do it as a complement to Dave's guitar. His tone on recent albums leaps out at me as a guitarist and has a great subtle classic rock bite.

The Dave and Dan guitar play was a key element to Soul Asylum - where most bands have a rhythm guitar and lead guitar SA had the freedom and skill to play outside a often dull musical roles and present the middle melodic section of the music with two voices not a base and lead overlay.

It will be difficult to replace and perhaps shouldn't be. Maybe one of the most exciting things about Danny leaving is that it will open them up to try new things and though it's bittersweet I can't wait. Dave is a very talented musician and for me I juts want to hear more from him as Soul Asylum mark 2 or just him self.

Jackofalltrades
Lone Rider

Post by Jackofalltrades »

Closer wrote:This is kinda stating the obvious, isn't it? Dave is the singer AND he writes 99% of the songs... so yeah, if they would make another album, it will sure sound like another Soul Asylum record. But for me personally that is beside the point...
We disagree because to me it is the point exactly. Soul Asylum will obviously still sound like Soul Asylum with Dave on the mic and I guess maybe I'm just realizing this now but I don't think it really matters to me if Dan or somebody else is playing guitar (harsh, I know). To me. Maybe I'll see things differently when I see them in a few weeks. In any case, it sure will be interesting.

But I do agree with you about Dan's background vocals. They did fit together well and it will be missed. Something I just realized I sort of overlooked when thinking about this whole situation.
Closer wrote: it's just not Soul Asylum with one original member
Like you said, that is how you see it and that's cool but I see it differently. I'm very happy that Dave is carrying on with Soul Asylum. But it got me thinking...how many original members does it take? Was it still Soul Asylum after Grant left? Or after Karl passed away? What about now that Dan has left? It appears that's where you draw the line, but I'm curious what others think.

Oh, and I would like to formally announce that I am open and available to take over guitar duties! :)

Jackofalltrades
Lone Rider

Post by Jackofalltrades »

ATKF,

Very good points. I'm a guitar player and I understand what you're saying. I guess it remains to be seen how the new guitarist will "fit in" with Dave and the rest of the band and whether it goes in new directions. I will be watching and listening closely in a few weeks when I see them.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

I, too, am a guitar player... So I get what you guys are saying, but I still think that Dan doesn't have a very unique guitar sound as some other players out there... but that doesn't make him any less of a guitar player in my book.
Jackofalltrades wrote:
Closer wrote: But it got me thinking...how many original members does it take?
Yes, I guess for me it ended now with Dan quitting, even though I felt it was the end of the band for many years now. It's just that the situation with this band is a bit different with Karl passing away and, from what I read, he didn't want them to quit the band, so you still had two out of three original guys that actually started the band. And perhaps also the two guys that made musically the biggest mark on the band since the beginning. Now with Dan out, it's the Dave Pirner band, and still worth checking out seeing as musically it will still sound like SA very much I imagine, but it won't feel like SA.