Dave Pirner

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Re: Dave Pirner

Post by Judgmental Patient »

I got a vibe the last two times they were here that Dave and Dan weren't getting along as well. I suspected a case of two people growing apart, and thereby just a bit sick of each other. It usually takes far less than 31 years. This was my entirely empirical and completely uninformed observation. I could cite specific instances, but out of respect for two of my very favorite artists I don't think I want to put them out there for scrutiny, so forgive me for not doing so.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

Dave4Prez
Caged Rat

Post by Dave4Prez »

Closer wrote:
Dave4Prez wrote:and at some other point said "I am Soul Asylum. I mean, I write all of the music"
For real? Is that interview online?
It was a radio station I think. In a coffee shop. Lots of banging going on in background. He said it. Trust me.

Dave4Prez
Caged Rat

Post by Dave4Prez »

EL DANGEROSO wrote:
lucy wrote:Agreed Miss Fit! These are two people who have known each other since they were practically youngsters, spent the better part of the '80's and early '90's in a van together. Friends, business partners and band mates. So much has gone on with these guys through the years that only they know. The fact that they stuck it out together for 31 years together and Dan is leaving noting the respect he has for Dave and the band - that speaks volumes. Maybe he'll write us a volume in his spare time now that he won't be on the road so much. Hint hint. : )

Dave will tell the world what he wants when he wants. They don't really owe us anything and yet have given us so much. They are just people after all. I'm sure this is way harder on them that it is on us. This has been their life!

I love them both and respect their decisions! Obviously not decisions made lightly!
i was going to post something but you said it all.some people sometimes want more and more.i doubt anyone would say those things to Daves face.just appreciate what they have given us i cant stand all the Dave bashing.

I'm NOT bashing Dave. I worship him. I was simply expressing some observations and when I say Dan may have been sick of Dave's shit - well, I think Mr. Pirner can be a little hard to handle sometimes. That doesn't mean that I don't LOVE him with all that I am. Soul Asylum is one of the most important "things" in my life. People call me obsessed, silly, immature and a number of other things because of how I feel about a band some would say should be done playing. I say fuck 'em and I am deeply saddened by Dan's departure.

Forgive me and please accept my apology fellow SA fans and Dave if I was hurtful or inconsiderate or rude in any way. It certainly was not my intention.

PAULY
Caged Rat

Post by PAULY »

well if you really think about it ... just think if it was Dave that quit the band...it wuld be done...( something i never wanna think about it)

LuckyLittleGirl
Runaway

Post by LuckyLittleGirl »

Dave4Prez...you're so cute!

i believe it was Pooh Bear that said, "some people think i care too much; I call it love." I haven't read the whole exchange because I'm sposed to be working, but i see both sides. sensitive subject currently, but I will say that Dave is the heart and Soul of the band, that being said, those two things need a vessel. Dave's very energetic and I think Dan focused him a lot, kept him grounded, if you will. He also wrote some amazing songs and is just an all around stand up guy. i, like Dave4Prez, apologize if my words sting, not my intention to disparage anyone, just throwing my two cents in (and another two in the wishing well...). i know i tend to say what I will. and I also love SA "with all that I am"-->good one Prez.

xoSAxo

philgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philgar »

I'll preface this with my feelings that Dave is brilliant, and a master songsman etc.

I'm sure you know my view by now, I don't really think Soul Asylum should continue on in its present form. Its just kind of painful to see it, I'm sure they're still amazing musicians,and sound great, but what is the band now? I really hope dave doesn't turn into JEFF TWEEDY with the band (no way there, as I couldn't see dave butting heads with so many people), and I really don't want the band to seem like a nostalgia act.

I know they're releasing new albums etc, but really, it's one member left from the band playing country fairs etc. Although the shows surely still kick ass, Soul Asylum deserves better than this. The brand is valuable, and stood for something... Not entirely sure what, but it does. I'd rather see the band call it a day then limp along. Also, a selfish part of myself doesn't want a new soul asylum to form, because that would basically destroy any chance of Danny returning to the band for a one-off "reunion" show. I suppose we couldn't expect that, but still.

I know dave apparently has the rights to continue on as Soul Asylum, and I doubt Danny cares too much that he is continuing on with the band. I just don't know if it's in Dave's best interest to keep the band going. It seems like the easy way out for him. This thing he's known forever, it's what comes natural to him, playing in this rock and roll band. But I think the constraints of the band might not be good for him. He has to follow a set formula. Soul Asylums done their thing for years, and it is what it is.

I'd love to see Dave pull together a new band, start over, hit reset, and be ready for it all. I'm sure the new band would play old Soul Asylum songs, especially when the bands first founded, but Dave should form a band of equals. No matter what now, any guitarist that enters soul asylum becomes a ringer or session musician. I suppose there are a few exceptions to this, but it's hard for anyone else to join a band that's been around 30 years and expect much of a say in it. Michael could do that, but all of the band wanted him, Dave, Dan and Karl loved his drumming, and accepted him and took him in as their own. With only Dave being original, Soul Asylum really becomes his responsibility.

I want dave in a band where they're all equals, at least initially. Not some "supergroup", but a band without a huge backstory that everyone is trying to conform to. Where another guitarist isn't trying to be like Dan Murphy, but rather they're doing their own thing in a way that works for the new band. I think it would be awesome if dave could move out of his comfort zone, and do something new. It would likely be rock and roll, and it may even resemble soul asylum, but, I think starting fresh he'd have a much better chance at doing something original, and not just rehashing what is expected. I think they'd be able to release more and better music, and it would leave Soul Asylum's legacy untouched.

I'm hoping for now, Dave's finishing up some touring with the band (after all he does want to support the new album still), and will then look into something new. Even if he steals the same members who have been playing on these Soul Asylum shows, and creates a new band, I think he'd be making a huge step forward. I think it would open up their music, and change expectations. Sure, we'd no longer have "our band", but we'd have something new to look forward to.

Phil

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

Kinda thinking along the same lines under the Soul Asylum past, present, future topic, Phil. I'd love to see something new! I agree, a back log of these songs is a must : ) But yes, out of the comfort zone would be fun! and don't worry about the "popular music" box. Back to basics!

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

philgar wrote:I'll preface this with my feelings that Dave is brilliant, and a master songsman etc.

I'm sure you know my view by now, I don't really think Soul Asylum should continue on in its present form. Its just kind of painful to see it, I'm sure they're still amazing musicians,and sound great, but what is the band now? I really hope dave doesn't turn into JEFF TWEEDY with the band (no way there, as I couldn't see dave butting heads with so many people), and I really don't want the band to seem like a nostalgia act.

I know they're releasing new albums etc, but really, it's one member left from the band playing country fairs etc. Although the shows surely still kick ass, Soul Asylum deserves better than this. The brand is valuable, and stood for something... Not entirely sure what, but it does. I'd rather see the band call it a day then limp along. Also, a selfish part of myself doesn't want a new soul asylum to form, because that would basically destroy any chance of Danny returning to the band for a one-off "reunion" show. I suppose we couldn't expect that, but still.

I know dave apparently has the rights to continue on as Soul Asylum, and I doubt Danny cares too much that he is continuing on with the band. I just don't know if it's in Dave's best interest to keep the band going. It seems like the easy way out for him. This thing he's known forever, it's what comes natural to him, playing in this rock and roll band. But I think the constraints of the band might not be good for him. He has to follow a set formula. Soul Asylums done their thing for years, and it is what it is.

I'd love to see Dave pull together a new band, start over, hit reset, and be ready for it all. I'm sure the new band would play old Soul Asylum songs, especially when the bands first founded, but Dave should form a band of equals. No matter what now, any guitarist that enters soul asylum becomes a ringer or session musician. I suppose there are a few exceptions to this, but it's hard for anyone else to join a band that's been around 30 years and expect much of a say in it. Michael could do that, but all of the band wanted him, Dave, Dan and Karl loved his drumming, and accepted him and took him in as their own. With only Dave being original, Soul Asylum really becomes his responsibility.

I want dave in a band where they're all equals, at least initially. Not some "supergroup", but a band without a huge backstory that everyone is trying to conform to. Where another guitarist isn't trying to be like Dan Murphy, but rather they're doing their own thing in a way that works for the new band. I think it would be awesome if dave could move out of his comfort zone, and do something new. It would likely be rock and roll, and it may even resemble soul asylum, but, I think starting fresh he'd have a much better chance at doing something original, and not just rehashing what is expected. I think they'd be able to release more and better music, and it would leave Soul Asylum's legacy untouched.

I'm hoping for now, Dave's finishing up some touring with the band (after all he does want to support the new album still), and will then look into something new. Even if he steals the same members who have been playing on these Soul Asylum shows, and creates a new band, I think he'd be making a huge step forward. I think it would open up their music, and change expectations. Sure, we'd no longer have "our band", but we'd have something new to look forward to.

Phil
I don't disagree with this, largely because Dave's voice has changed so much- he's not the same singer he was in Soul Asylum's heyday. Something new would be interesting, and I'd probably be more excited for that than Soul Asylum without Dan and Karl.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

It's easy to sit here and write about how it should be or what the best way out would be, but in reality it's very different. The name Soul Asylum still opens up some doors, I can imagine. A band with a grammy under its name, who had a massive top 5 hit all over the world with a song that is still being played on the radio every single day somewhere in the world... sure, a lot of those gigs are at embarrassing children's fairs or whatever, but I'm sure the paycheck ain't too bad. To start over with a new band, and still doing SA songs, isn't very realistic for them, I think. Would I rather see them do that instead of continuing under this name? Hell yeah, because for me Soul Asylum is pretty much over now, but why would they? Because it makes more sense for a few fans? The paycheck will disagree.

Jackofalltrades
Lone Rider

Post by Jackofalltrades »

With the vast majority of bands, the vocals is what defines the sound. If I don't like the sound of the vocals I probably won't like that band. Of course there are other elements contributing to the sound, but to me the reason Soul Asylum sounds like SA is because of Dave Pirner's voice. I know some people who don't like SA because of how Dave's voice sounds (I know, crazy right?), but I love it. I did back when I first heard it and I do now.

I think Dan Murphy is an excellent musician and guitar player and have loved listening and watching him play over the years. And I've loved watching the interplay and obvious musical compatibility on display between Dave and Dan. He will be missed. But there are very few guitarists who can define a band's sound either through their playing style or the sound of their equipment. Soul Asylum can exist without Dan and still sound like Soul Asylum. That could not happen if Dave left.

This has been my favorite band since i went to my first show in 1988. I think Delayed Reaction is fantastic and can't wait to hear the songs played live even if I have heard them before. I will be there on Nov 2 just like I always have been and always will be when SA passes through Wisconsin.