Delayed Reaction Fishy (and The Dowry/bicycle painting)

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Delayed Reaction Fishy (and The Dowry/bicycle painting)

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I was going to post this soon after the First Avenue concert in July but was in my draft folder.

After the concert I asked Dave what the deal was with the fish on the back cover of the album and if it had any significance/relation (besides being on a bike) and/or if it was a real piece of art (possibly a piece of artwork by Dan's son) or something just made up for the album. Evidently Dave saw it; he was at Storyland amusement park with his son in New Orleans and thought it was cool to have on the album.

I did a quick search for "fish on bike new orleans" and came up with a few hits. I couldn't find what the exact title or who the artist is though.
fishonbike.jpg
backoffish.jpg
(According to a caption on one of the websites they apparently moved it at one time or another cause this picture shows it was right outside of the bathroom.) :P
fishbathroom.jpg
As some of you may know already (since we discussed it before album was released), the cover is a 2000 oil on linen painting by Bo Bartlett. It is a huge 85x100 (7 ft. 1 in. x 8 ft. 4 in.) painting titled The Dowry. Why the cover was selected was because Dave liked this picture so much that he bought the original at an art gallery. When he went to take it home it barely fit in his car, but he managed to get it without damaging it. He said he had a very hard time driving with it in there (half of it was in the passenger seat). :P

When I first saw the photo and found out it was going to be the album cover I thought it was kind of "Eh" (not that I didn't dislike the painting); it just didn't seem like a cover they would use. The cover has since grown on me, I like it. Seeing Dave ride his bike on the inside definitely made up for it when I first saw it too. :)
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

meli129
Brand New Shine

Re: Delayed Reaction Fishy (and The Dowry/bicycle painting)

Post by meli129 »

Monolith Maniac wrote:I was going to post this soon after the First Avenue concert in July but was in my draft folder.

After the concert I asked Dave what the deal was with the fish on the back cover of the album and if it had any significance/relation (besides being on a bike) and/or if it was a real piece of art (possibly a piece of artwork by Dan's son) or something just made up for the album. Evidently Dave saw it; he was at Storyland amusement park with his son in New Orleans and thought it was cool to have on the album.

I did a quick search for "fish on bike new orleans" and came up with a few hits. I couldn't find what the exact title or who the artist is though.
fishonbike.jpg
backoffish.jpg
(According to a caption on one of the websites they apparently moved it at one time or another cause this picture shows it was right outside of the bathroom.) :P
fishbathroom.jpg
As some of you may know already (since we discussed it before album was released), the cover is a 2000 oil on linen painting by Bo Bartlett. It is a huge 85x100 (7 ft. 1 in. x 8 ft. 4 in.) painting titled The Dowry. Why the cover was selected was because Dave liked this picture so much that he bought the original at an art gallery. When he went to take it home it barely fit in his car, but he managed to get it without damaging it. He said he had a very hard time driving with it in there (half of it was in the passenger seat). :P

When I first saw the photo and found out it was going to be the album cover I thought it was kind of "Eh" (not that I didn't dislike the painting); it just didn't seem like a cover they would use. The cover has since grown on me, I like it. Seeing Dave ride his bike on the inside definitely made up for it when I first saw it too. :)
Hello,

would be great if we could find out more about this , maybe someone from orleans could help us with the author ?