Welcome Justin & Winston

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
PAULY
Caged Rat

Re: welcome Justin & Winston

Post by PAULY »

this will never be the soul asylum i love or grew up with.... but for Dave to wanna keep this band going after all these years more power to him ..i will never get enough of new soul asylum stuff and for him to get this band together to keep playing shows and now possably another soul asylum album !!!! ... CANT WAIT to see and hear the future of Dave and the new soul asylum of 2013 !!!!!....................ps this soul asylum will be much more better then no soul asylum indeed.

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

Somehow knowing Justin is Dan's cousin (is it first cousin once removed?) makes him seem like family :) Looking forward to what will be in the future.

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

lucy wrote:Somehow knowing Justin is Dan's cousin (is it first cousin once removed?)
Now I am no expert on the matter, but it's Justin's mother who is Danny's cousin.

I could google search family tree type/genealogy of stuff, but I really have other things to do. But as to what exactly is Justin's relationship, family wise, to Danny I will leave up to the experts.
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

EasyStreet wrote:
lucy wrote:Somehow knowing Justin is Dan's cousin (is it first cousin once removed?)
Now I am no expert on the matter, but it's Justin's mother who is Danny's cousin.

I could google search family tree type/genealogy of stuff, but I really have other things to do. But as to what exactly is Justin's relationship, family wise, to Danny I will leave up to the experts.
It makes him a second cousin. I have so many second cousins that I never even met, but who knows... maybe that helped him get the gig. Good for him. But anywho, it's nice that they "introduced" themselves and whatever, and they seem nice and capable for sure, but I still think they should have renamed the band or something... but I hope it works out for them all. I just don't like seeing bands with one original member carrying on playing the old hits. I don't think that is what the band has ever been about. Dave can still play his own songs, but don't sell it as Soul Asylum.

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

Cousin (a.k.a "first cousin")
Your first cousins are the people in your family who have two of the same grandparents as you. In other words, they are the children of your aunts and uncles.

Second Cousin
Your second cousins are the people in your family who have the same great-grandparents as you., but not the same grandparents.

Third, Fourth, and Fifth Cousins
Your third cousins have the same great-great-grandparents, fourth cousins have the same great-great-great-grandparents, and so on.

Removed
When the word "removed" is used to describe a relationship, it indicates that the two people are from different generations. You and your first cousins are in the same generation (two generations younger than your grandparents), so the word "removed" is not used to describe your relationship.

The words "once removed" mean that there is a difference of one generation. For example, your mother's first cousin is your first cousin, once removed. This is because your mother's first cousin is one generation younger than your grandparents and you are two generations younger than your grandparents. This one-generation difference equals "once removed."

Twice removed means that there is a two-generation difference. You are two generations younger than a first cousin of your grandmother, so you and your grandmother's first cousin are first cousins, twice removed.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

while i completely agree with lucy's definitions and call my mom's first cousin my 'first cousin once removed', i have in the past gotten in a fight w/ a friend of mine who insisted my mom's first cousin is my 'second cousin' .
after some research we found some evidence online that lots of people also use her method of definitions. i still don't agree but decided she wasn't completely 'wrong'.

in any case, this is way off topic!!!!

OneLovedBand
Social Butterfly

Post by OneLovedBand »

Welcome to Justin and Winston! I am looking forward to seeing you both play in more SA shows. : )

Educatrix
Caged Rat

Post by Educatrix »

Welcome to both of you, gentlemen!

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Hello and welcome to Justin and Winston! :)

h2oskierc
Brand New Shine

Post by h2oskierc »

Justin,

As your favorite cousin ;) I am so excited to see you playing in Soul Asylum. Looking forward to tonight's show more than you can possibly imagine. I can remember being at your house many, many years ago. You played Runaway Train on your acoustic guitar (this was just before Let Your Dim Light Shine), and I was inspired to learn to play guitar. A couple summers later you taught me more on the guitar than a couple years of lessons had, and we would play Misery a couple times a day.

Best wishes with Soul Asylum, I don't think either one of us ever thought you would be there some day!

Love and God Bless,

Chris