Soul Asylum--past, present, future

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
CULater
Caged Rat

Soul Asylum--past, present, future

Post by CULater »

So, I said my thanks to Dan obviously initiated by his departure from the band. But to all the guys--a big thank you, as well. I'll try to keep it brief and simple. From the live performances, to the fan interaction, to the numerous records, from the early days to present day. Awesome.

Dave--your songwriting and lyrics are truly unique...there's just nothing quite like it. Brilliant.

From the time Michael and Tommy came into the picture...they just fit.

Of course, there's been a lot of changes over the past 31 years, how can there not be? But everything has a way of working out if you have the passion for it and I haven't been disappointed yet......
"I've learned to accept and not to expect - the respect and neglect that I get. And I try not to forget about what hasn't happened yet.....""

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Re: Soul Asylum--past, present, future

Post by AlyssaJones »

EDIT:

Forget all this crap I said before. After seeing them in Chicago earlier this week, I'm SOOOO happy they're going on with the band. Long live Soul Asylum! Love you Dave, love you Michael, love you new guys!!!!! <3 <3<3

Happy 2013 everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by AlyssaJones on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

marionette
Runaway

Post by marionette »

Brief simple and perfect. I could not have said it better. Thank you for everything! Dan, Dave, Karl, and Tommy, Micheal, Sterling, Grant and the amazing fans and crew.

Looking forward to what hasn't happened yet.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

If Dan is okay with Dave keeping the band name, then that's good enough for me. It's not a Pink Floyd situation where Dan is leaving with the belief that it's all over for everyone - he acknowledged that the band will keep on keeping on. It won't be the same seeing "Soul Asylum" without him of course, but we've all appreciated our Soul Asylum that the older hard-core fans have given up on since Grant was booted out. And without Karl more people thought the band was over. But they kept playing and we kept on going. I, at least, will be at future shows.

I think I would prefer Dave retire the name, but if he's left holding the bag and he wants to call it what he's always called it, then that's his choice and I will 100% respect that. It's his band - not mine, not ours. I'm sure he will continue to write great new songs as he always has and I fully expect that the live shows will rock hard.

CULater
Caged Rat

Post by CULater »

I totally get all the varying opinions, but I know that if I were to go see a show with Dave, I would want to hear Soul Asylum songs, too, so......

I admire his courage to forge ahead with the name. He'll continue to bring his brilliance, I have no doubt.

Keep the faith.
"I've learned to accept and not to expect - the respect and neglect that I get. And I try not to forget about what hasn't happened yet.....""

whiskeytango
Marionette

Post by whiskeytango »

The sheer number of times I've defended Soul Asylum in the past few years as being different than all the washed up bands with only one original guy not making new music and playing state fairs is huge.

Keeping the name Soul Asylum without Dan is just silly.

I'm sorry but Dave ≠ Soul Asylum. Love his stuff and I'll keep following him but I really wish he wouldn't do it under the Soul Asylum name any longer. If he officially goes solo or names it something else I think he might even find a second musical life out there. Clearly based on Deayed Reaction he can still crank out a good album so why not try it on with a different name. Keep Michael and find a good permanent guitar player and bass player and march forward. Continuing on without Dan just makes it easier to dismiss and I hate that.

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

I am greatly looking forward to seeing Dave at the Orlando and Atlanta shows, but it's also going to be hard to look to the right and not see Dan. I'm planning to pretend that it's Dan dressed up like someone else for Halloween. : )

I agree that Dave obviously has lots of songs in him and I hope he continues to write and play out so we can see these songs come to fruition. I think that this ties back to the comments that were being made in the other topic "ooh new interview with Dave" regarding being billed as a "nostalgia act" rather than playing with other more singer / songwriter / rock-n-roll bands. I've never seen Soul Asylum as a "nostalgia act" at all because they have always been continuing to put out new material and change and grow. I think Delayed Reaction is evidence of that. Such strong songs on that album - it's an amazing record!

I would love to see Dave (and the other guys if it works!) collaborate with others and put out something new. I think it would be awesome to see what they could come up with. I'm thinking of Off! since I just saw them recently, which is a band made up of people from other older bands such as Black Flag and Redd Kross etc. Dave has so many friends who I'm sure he's thought about collaborating with previously, and maybe even has written songs with. I remember when I saw Slobberbone, both Brent and Brian told me a story about going back to Dave's house when they played in MPLS and wrote songs with Dave. I would love to hear what might have come out of that collaboration if it had been expanded upon. Or for example I know that Dave has gotten up on stage and played with people like the Meat Puppets, and Kraig Jarrett Johnson came up and played with them when Soul Asylum played in Mound, MN a couple years ago.

This type of collaboration possibility really makes me excited for what the future of Soul Asylum / Soul Asylum members could produce!! And looking at some of these smaller indie labels that can release a record without all the strings attached. (I'm thinking of Suburban Home records that I know some bands are on currently and what Twin Tone used to be for MPLS bands etc)

Let's make it happen guys! Here's to trying not to forget what hasn't happened yet! :)

lampros
Caged Rat

Post by lampros »

I just read on Winston's website his ''news''.
It is obvious that SA are working on a new CD (a totally new or a CD with punk covers?). So after 6 months from ''Delayed Reaction'' release, I realise how ''DR'' sounds to me! It is a valedictory CD, a CD that marks the end of an era and the beginning of a new one.
I hope the best for the new era!
First signs are encouraging: more live shows and another (it is actually the reactivation of an old one) available website for the band.
Maybe the new guys are bringing, except for their talent and skills, more energy and new ideas and a reload of passion.
My final thought is that maybe Dan's attitude is reliated to the fact that the light of SA was getting dim. Dan is a great guitarist and he will always be a member of SA, but I can understand his will.
Hope for the best for everyone!!!

philgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philgar »

lampros wrote:I just read on Winston's website his ''news''.
It is obvious that SA are working on a new CD (a totally new or a CD with punk covers?). So after 6 months from ''Delayed Reaction'' release, I realise how ''DR'' sounds to me! It is a valedictory CD, a CD that marks the end of an era and the beginning of a new one.
I hope the best for the new era!
First signs are encouraging: more live shows and another (it is actually the reactivation of an old one) available website for the band.
Maybe the new guys are bringing, except for their talent and skills, more energy and new ideas and a reload of passion.
My final thought is that maybe Dan's attitude is reliated to the fact that the light of SA was getting dim. Dan is a great guitarist and he will always be a member of SA, but I can understand his will.
Hope for the best for everyone!!!
I think a lot has to do with why Dan left the band. I don't think Dan's wanted Soul Asylum to be a full time thing for a long time now. He has so many other things going on to keep him busy (and more importantly pay his bills), that Soul Asylum wasn't his number one priority. I don't think any of us can fault him for that.

With that said, I kind of get the impression that Dave and the rest of the band really wanted to push Soul Asylum forward at a faster pace than Dan wanted, which led to his departure. I don't know why the rest of the band decided to make soul asylum a full time thing again, but it's great to see them doing more live shows, and working again. i don't think there's been any great push on the band since 98 or so.

I'm hoping this also means Dave is writing more new songs. It kind of saddened me seeing how short Delayed Reaction was, and how few new songs were on it. I guess after so many years I expected dave to have hundreds of songs to choose from, and not to go back to songs he had written 10-20 years prior.

I'm hoping that these new young members will put the fire under dave to do more again. I know he's proven himself many times before, but with a full band to worry about (one that hasn't been spoiled by Soul Asylum's previous success, and that is younger with more responsibliities, etc) producing new music, and touring/promoting it will become important. I don't know if SA will ever go back to releasing a new album every other year again, but I wouldn't complain if they did. I kind of wish they'd change names in respect to this thing that's past, but that's not the point of this thread. If they continue on, and especially with the SA name, they better be making new music,and at a much faster rate than before. I'd hate to see them to appear to be a band in name only, as they're so much moreto all of us.

Phil

lampros
Caged Rat

Post by lampros »

Phil I agree with your thoughts. Thank you for sharing!

It would be ideal to have a very active band.

In my opinion SA can offer us (meaning the fans) and all fans of rock music great songs.

I anticipate...