Soul Asylum Fan Song Covers

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
reboog711
Social Butterfly

Re: Soul Asylum Fan Song Covers

Post by reboog711 »

The questions in my mind are about the legal side of this:

1) Is there going to be a formal legal agreement that artists must sign before submitting the song?

2) How will this be distributed? Informally over the Internet / Through this site? Or is there going to be a formal CD Production/or Digital sales? If a formal CD Production; who is funding it?

3) In either case; how are royalties going to work? Are the song writers (Presumably Dave; with a hint of Dan?) going to give up their "songwriter compensation" for this compilation? This can be a tricky legal subject; and I don't think it is as simple as "We're not making money so we don't owe the songwriters anything."

LittleTooClean
Social Butterfly

Post by LittleTooClean »

reboog711 wrote:The questions in my mind are about the legal side of this:

1) Is there going to be a formal legal agreement that artists must sign before submitting the song?

2) How will this be distributed? Informally over the Internet / Through this site? Or is there going to be a formal CD Production/or Digital sales? If a formal CD Production; who is funding it?

3) In either case; how are royalties going to work? Are the song writers (Presumably Dave; with a hint of Dan?) going to give up their "songwriter compensation" for this compilation? This can be a tricky legal subject; and I don't think it is as simple as "We're not making money so we don't owe the songwriters anything."

As far as this goes I think we are talking about a download only release.

Secondly, I don't think that each song would ever be downloaded 100's or even 1000's of time. Yeah maybe, but I would not really count on that unless you are a big artist. Example - This has been up for over 2 years and has under 400 streaming plays, by a bigger band! Oh yeah, and it's a F'N GREAT version!!

https://soundcloud.com/ssss-1/the-loved ... oul-asylum

I have been on other bands "tribute" releases (Neutral Milk Hotel, Superdrag) and never had to pay a cent and the bands were always cool with the fact that fans had recorded the music.

I'm also a ASCAP member and have released cover songs on my CD's as well as streaming. It is something you do have to pay for each year but it does depend on the amount of CD's being released and how many downloads you do expect to get in a year.

The only one who gets the money is the songwriter and the publisher.

Here's the legal from Harry Fox Agency, the place you would get the rights from:

The current statutory mechanical royalty rate is $.091 (9.1 cents) per song per unit for recordings of compositions up to five minutes (5:00) in length.

For example, if one were to make a recording of a song that is less than five minutes in length (e.g. 4:07) and then manufacture and distribute 500 units of the recording, the total amount of royalties due would be $45.50. ($0.091 X 500 (units) = $45.50).

For songs over five minutes in length, the rate is based upon $.0175 (1.75 cents) per minute or fraction thereof as demonstrated below:

5:01 to 6:00 = $0.105 (6 X $.0175)

6:01 to 7:00 = $0.1225 (7 X $.0175)

7:01 to 8:00 = $0.14 (8 X $.0175)

For example, if one were to make a recording of a song that is six minutes and thirty-eight seconds in length (6:38) and then manufacture and distribute 500 units, the total amount of royalties due is $56.25. ($0.1225 X 500 (units) = $61.25).

The current statutory rate for ringtones is $0.24 (24 cents) per song per unit.

2. HFA’s Songfile rates for interactive streaming.
(Rates for interactive streaming in limited quantities of between 100 and 10,000 streams)

The royalty rate for interactive streams through Songfile is $0.01 per stream.

For example, the royalty rate for 500 interactive streams is $5.00.

The royalty rate for 5,000 interactive streams is $50.00.

For quantities over 10,000 streams, licenses for interactive streaming can be obtained through our bulk licensing process. If you are interested in obtaining such licenses, please contact newmedia@harryfox.com. Please note that in order to satisfy your obligations pursuant to the bulk licensing process for the distribution of interactive streams, you must be able to report information such as service revenue, subscriber information, content costs, and applicable performance royalty expenses. Information on the rates for bulk licensing can be found here (statutory rate/calculation link)

3. What can be licensed through HFA Songfile?
Songfile is a simple and fast way to obtain mechanical licenses for a limited number of physical recordings (CDs, cassettes and vinyl only) made and distributed in the U.S., as well as Ringtones, Permanent Digital Downloads ("PDDs") of singles, and Interactive Streams (often referred to as "on demand streams").

Songfile may be used to license up to 2,500 units (copies) of a song, for physical recordings, ringtones, and Permanent Digital Downloads (“PDDs”). If you are distributing more than 2,500 units of physical product or downloads, please set up an HFA Licensing Account. Information on how to do this can be found here.

Songfile may also be used to license a limited quantity minimum of 100 up to 10,000 individual interactive streams. If you are distributing more than 10,000 interactive streams please set up an HFA Licensing Account.

100's of Soul Asylum covers are on YouTube. Yes most of them are "Runaway Train" and you know what they do? They put an ad on it and they (Youtube) get the advertising money because the song is owned by a publishing company. No money to the artist.

I think it's a great idea - Whatever happens it has my vote

Next time I talk to Dave I'll ask him what he thinks of the idea...Really!

And if you want to include some other artists you might want to include this as well

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUBZxN_6VCw[/youtube]
Last edited by LittleTooClean on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Awesome video. Clearly you are not just another pretty face. Interesting to see the number breakdown for royalties. I would have thought it would be more. But I think I heard it is free in europe now.

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Post by reboog711 »

LittleTooClean wrote: 100's of Soul Asylum covers are on YouTube. Yes most of them are "Runaway Train" and you know what they do? They put an ad on it and they (Youtube) get the advertising money because the song is owned by a publishing company. No money to the artist.
Technically isn't the publishing company is sharing money with the songwriter; who in this case will also be the Artist?

Really my primary reason for asking is to make sure someone has thought this through and to avoid problems down the line. I've been called a closet lawyer in the past.

LittleTooClean wrote: I think it's a great idea - Whatever happens it has my vote
I think it's a great idea.

To whomever is a moderator of these boards; I'm no longer receiving email notifications when I select the "Notify me when a reply is posted" checkbox.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

reboog711 wrote:To whomever is a moderator of these boards; I'm no longer receiving email notifications when I select the "Notify me when a reply is posted" checkbox.
I've never used it so I don't know when it stopped working; or may be problem on your end (are you using a different email when you registered?). All I can see is besides checking "Notify me when a reply is posted" when making a post is going into your "User Control Panel" and under Board preferences|Edit posting defaults see if "Notify me upon replies by default" is checked as well (though if you were receiving them I can't see why it wouldn't be unchecked now).

Anyone else having this problem?

(I'll try it for this post as a test.)
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

reboog711 wrote:To whomever is a moderator of these boards; I'm no longer receiving email notifications when I select the "Notify me when a reply is posted" checkbox.
I checked it out with a couple of threads and I received notifications from them in my inbox so I don't know what the problem could be. :?:

Maybe someone who uses the feature more can shine some light on the subject. Again, anyone else having this problem (at least at one time or another)?
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

LittleTooClean
Social Butterfly

Post by LittleTooClean »

From http://www.soulasylum.com

We just went on a Runaway-Train-Cover-Watching-Binge and loved all that we saw and heard. You guys are crazy talented.

Jeff your cover is really great! Loved your original music too.
Interesting....

TravisSaves
Social Butterfly

Post by TravisSaves »

Has anybody started working on their recording? Are we legally allowed to do this? I still call "Misery" as my cover song! :D

lampros
Caged Rat

Post by lampros »

Polaroid pictures of current and previous SA members with a handwritten tag line (like the ones on the HOME PAGE of ''enterthesoulasylum.com'') could be a nice layout for this effort. Does anybody else agree?
Is there a timetable? I anticipate!!!

brodiewakefield
Stranger

Post by brodiewakefield »

My band has started working on our song. We call "The Sun Maid". Can't wait to see where this all ends up. Let's get going here people!