can we kill the spam here?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

can we kill the spam here?

Post by EasyStreet »

Seems to me some spambots have entered our world here. I know they are hard to spot, but can their posts be deleted?
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Re: can we kill the spam here?

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Yeah, I'm getting tired of those "Kitchens" threads.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

From a user's point of view; no. :(

It might be possible if the forum would be updated, but there is still that chance it wouldn't make it any better. When we updated to the current version of the forum, we tried to make the site as less vulnerable from spam bots and such by implementing security question codes and having a CAPTCHA. If we were to install the latest version there is no guarantee it will stop these latest "kitchen" messages (I've seen a newer message board already get hammered with other spam; even with a CAPTCHA).

Jakob and I discussed this a couple weeks ago and it we thought that even if we did upgrade we were at too much of risk ruining the whole forum process of registering and whatnot (even if backed up).

Jakob hasn't really been on the site much (but still has access to delete the spam too) but I've been having to manually delete every single bot that comes on; that's just the only way really without maybe some another spam blocker (in addition to the 2 we have) out there.

Believe me, it bothers me more than anyone else here; I've been doing my best to come on and delete it as soon as possible.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Jim has it right: I want to avoid updating the forum, and even that would not be sure to help.

I've made small but significant changes to the forum that would likely break with an update, among which is the forum's custom anti-spam question. Such a question is a pretty tough nut to crack for mindless computers, which leads me to believe that they're using some form of human help. If they are, going back to a regular captcha might even make matters worse. Unfortunately, I haven't found a lot to suggest that the latest version of the forum would remove our spam problems.

I will keep an eye out for possible solutions and see how things develop.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

ok, well maybe can we just shoot them with our secret poisonous frog darts or something?
:mrgreen:
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Would it be possible for Jim or Jakob to remove the Kitchens (insert location here) threads? There's still at least one hanging around.