The LP tour!!

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Closer
Social Butterfly

Re: The LP tour!!

Post by Closer »

I'd rather see them play songs off the other albums. They play almost half of GDU at normal shows already anyway. But I understand this is the big hit album and it will sell more tickets this way.

philgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philgar »

Closer wrote:I'd rather see them play songs off the other albums. They play almost half of GDU at normal shows already anyway. But I understand this is the big hit album and it will sell more tickets this way.
Sadly, they're playing a few hours away from me, and I don't even know if I'll bother going... I suppose times have changed, but I've heard most every song on GDU live so many times, and I'm not really a huge fan of the other bands, they're not bad, I just don't know them well. Seems like a pain to go out there and pay quite a bit (I doubt these are $20 shows) to see soul asylum play Grave Dancers Union for 45 minutes. If they were doing most any other album, I'd probably be up for it as I haven't heard them as much... If they were doing a full set afterward I'd likely go, but seeing the new band play old songs just seems... meh . I really want the band to record a new album, and tour their asses off to prove that they're still a real band, and not just doing the "easy" thing.

Phil

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

It's a cool novelty idea, but I always thought SA was above these brand-heavy nostalgia packages. I know I said back in October when Dan left that I wouldn't bother traveling to see the new band. After seeing them twice so far, I take that back. I would gladly travel to see them. But this? Not gonna happen. If they come to Pittsburgh with this, sure. But no way am I getting in a car and driving 3, 4, 5 hours to see some expensive four-band lineup when I don't even know the other three and don't even like GDU all that much. I mean I do, but it's not my favorite one.

I guess it just find it a little disappointing to see them devoting a big chunk of time to this when they could be out there doing their own thing and pleasing more people.

This might end up being a great decision for the band, and if you are going to one of these shows and you're excited, then that's awesome, but I personally don't have much interest in seeing this particular show.

I hope the guys are actually into it though and not doing it just for the paycheck. Because if they're as unexcited about it as we are, then that makes them the dreaded s-word. :o

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Post by reboog711 »

I'm in a slightly different position. I absolutely love Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend album and have never seen him live.

So, Soul Asylum is just icing on the cake. Other than the four songs of GDU they always play [Without a Trace, Somebody to Shove, Black Gold, Runway Train]; I'm not sure I've ever seen any of the other songs live.

So I have two reasons to go. But, North Carolina is the closest one to me and that is days worth of travel away; so I'm not sure I can justify it.

lampros
Caged Rat

Post by lampros »

I do not know the other bands too. It may happens because i do not live in the USA. I would except a better known line up though.

GDU is the best work of SA and the reason is simple: it is their best seller. That means that millions of people loved it and bought it. And the quality of the songs is unique. So it is the greatest album from a commercial and qualitative point of view. In my opinion it is a great chance to see SA performing LIVE the GDU project!!!

I do not underestimate the other albums but none of them has managed to combine recognition, success, awards, sales and the most important great songs greatly performed!!!

PAULY
Caged Rat

Post by PAULY »

i think its a GREAT idea ... its a chance for fans of the other bands to come out who never seen soul asylum live and vice versa and these bands can gather more of a fan base off each other and bring out alot more people to the show. also i take this just as a bonus to see soul asylum on tour before they release there new album{ and we all know how long that can take} before they tour again for that !!!! ... so excited i am if they come close by be there i will....can never get too much soul asylum cant waits!!!!

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

From Facebook:
Michael Bland
just so you guys know, there's a solid chance that we will also be premiering NEW songs, somewhere in our set on THE LP TOUR- hope to see you!! M.B.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Yeah, I see this as a one-time thing, which is totally fine, and not a sign of them slipping into a state of perpetual Nostalgia Act. I would love to see GDU live. It all depends on price, how close to the stage I can score a ticket, and how far I'd have to travel.

topiratti
Inmate

Post by topiratti »

Out of curiousity, what IS the "LP" Tour?
Image are of baby rats my female gave birth too ;D

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Post by reboog711 »

A concert tour so horribly named and promoted that it does not show up with a Google Search.

But, there is a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TheLPTour?fref=ts and I think I saw a web site at one point, but the site was lacking any real details and I can't find the link now [not even from the Facebook page]

Basically, A bunch of "older" acts are going to play the "album" that made them famous. Matthew Sweet will play Girlfriend and Soul Asylum will play Grave Dancer's Union.

Big Head Todd and the Monsters will play Sister Sweetly. I've heard of a band; but don't know anything about/by them.

And the Wailers will play Legend. As best I can tell; "The Wailers" are Bob Marley's group and "Legend" is a greatest hits album. Bob Marley has been dead for a long time; so I have no idea how this set will work out. According to Wikipieda the Wailers have been inactive since 1981 when Bob Marley died. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bo ... nd_members ).

It is frustrating not being able to find out more info about the tour.