Seeking interview subjects about the Runaway Train video

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
nelanna
Brand New Shine

Seeking interview subjects about the Runaway Train video

Post by nelanna »

Hello, everybody.

My name is Anna, I am a reporter for a Russian TV network based in New York City.

We are working on a story about the issue of missing children, more specifically about the famous Soul Asylum video "Runaway Train" which became a symbol for the problem almost 20 years ago. Missing children are becoming a more and more critical problem in Russia and we believe the story would be of great interest to our viewers.

Unfortunately, we are having hard time locating people knowledge about the video and the song. Getting in touch with the band's agent did not help. So, I decided to ask here (I hope you and the moderators do not mind): we are looking for people who are familiar with story of the song and of the video (and its multiple iterations) and would be willing to do a short on-camera interview. We are based in NYC but come to you pretty much anywhere in the US, or do a Skype interview if that is more convenient. We expect to have a two-person crew - a reporter and a cameraman, both carrying the usual press credentials. Our deadline is May 20, 2013.

The story will air during our prime time news broadcast, presumable on May25th. You can reply here or via PM and we will get in touch with you very quickly. Thank you for your time and consideration!

All the best,

Anna

Closer
Social Butterfly

Re: Seeking interview subjects about the Runaway Train video

Post by Closer »

I believe that the song doesn't have anything to do with missing children. I think the director of the video just made that link. Here's a video of Dave Pirner talking about it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=249vxleSudI I don't know if it's any help.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Yeah, the song itself has absolutely nothing to do with missing kids. It was all Tony Kaye's idea.

OneLovedBand
Social Butterfly

Post by OneLovedBand »

Sorry we can't be of more help. The most information I've seen in one place on the video is on Wikipedia, if you look up "Runaway Train". Maybe you could find some leads there.

I know this has nothing to do with the SA video, but country singer Jimmy Wayne was homeless as a youth and works to raise awareness about homeless youth. You might find him a willing subject. He's on Facebook, Twitter and founded Project Meet Me Halfway.

Probabaly the best you are going to find here are people who could decribe what the song means to them personally, as it means a lot to many of us, but in a broader sense, not a literal running away from home.

Good luck with your project, it sounds like a good one!