Why I love Soul Asylum

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
OneLovedBand
Social Butterfly

Why I love Soul Asylum

Post by OneLovedBand »

I've been posting on one SA board or another for almost 18 years now & I'm not sure in all that time, I've ever taken the time to sum up exactly why I love this band so much on one post.

First of all the music: I've never been one who is good at putting my feelings into words. When I first heard Soul Asylum's music, it was like hearing the songs I've always wanted to hear, but no one had ever written. Somehow when I listen to SA, all that chaos in my head gets sorted out and comes out in a way that makes sense in the song. I also love Dave's creativity & his fearlessness in taking creative chances. Some of the things he comes up with are so weird, but I love it. I also like that Soul Asylum songs cover topics other than just love songs. I've got nothing against a good love song, but I think other relationships are important too and Soul Asylum will write about those.

The live shows: I've seen them 50+ times and it just doesn't get old for me. You would think the law of diminishing returns would kick in by now but it hasn't. They are energetic, make me laugh & are full of surprises. The set list never stays the same for too long either. I don't ever feel like I've seen the same show twice. Unfortunately my stamina has gone down in 18 years, but it's still worth it. : )

The guys: I have been more familiar with some band members over others,(past and present) but I just think they are super cool people. They clearly are talented musicians who love music to the core, but yet are not "rock stars". I can always count on them to do something quirky, say something funny or an act of kindness that makes me smile. : )

Anyway, I know I'm preaching to the choir here, just thought I'd sum up why I love them so much. Maybe I can convert a lurking "hater" ha ha : )

Jenifer

Educatrix
Caged Rat

Re: Why I love Soul Asylum

Post by Educatrix »

Yesterday I wrote a somewhat lengthy response, then lost it 'cause I wasn't logged in. Duh. That said, my major points were these:

First, SA's one of the best bands I've seen (and I've seen scores) - the charisma, talent, and skill levels go to eleven. Only having become a fan about a year ago, I missed having seen them with Karl, but my husband tells me it was stellar.

Second, there's this:
OneLovedBand wrote:They clearly are talented musicians who love music to the core, but yet are not "rock stars".
I've found many well-known musicians quite nice, in a rushed sort of way. It's very "Hi! Thank you so much!", sign, and bye. Understandable, considering they deal in volume.

When I met SA (two of Dan's final three shows, I think), they utterly charmed me with what seemed like a genuine desire to just B.S. with fans. When discussing the shows, I gushed to a friend about how lovely everyone was; Dan, in particular, made me feel as though he genuinely wanted to converse with me about everything and nothing. That's a rarity in life, much less in the star/fan dynamic.

When I brought the abovementioned friend to her first show this past winter, we waited around after to say hey. The guys were lovely as always (they seemed to recall me, surprisingly); Dave had to load crap onto the bus, which would've been a perfect "out" post-show, but kept his word and returned for chatting/pics/signing. That shows character and appreciation.

So, yeah - that's why I reckon I'm on board for however long the band, in whatever incarnation, lasts.

OneLovedBand
Social Butterfly

Post by OneLovedBand »

Educatrix wrote: When discussing the shows, I gushed to a friend about how lovely everyone was; Dan, in particular, made me feel as though he genuinely wanted to converse with me about everything and nothing. That's a rarity in life, much less in the star/fan dynamic.
Glad you got to have a special connection with Dan before he left the band. What you said about being a rariety is unfortunately too true about the world we live in.

Educatrix
Caged Rat

Post by Educatrix »

OneLovedBand wrote:Glad you got to have a special connection with Dan before he left the band. What you said about being a rariety is unfortunately too true about the world we live in.
As am I. He seemed a very nice, everyday guy - same as the rest of the guys. No swelled heads.