Covers

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Covers

Post by Judgmental Patient »

This has been eating at me for way too long. I thought "To Sir With Love" was a strange choice- a song written, I believe, from a female perspective. But I can go with that. What I'm wondering about is why Dave changes the words to Tracks Of My Tears to "If you're out and you see me with another guy". Is Dave gay? If so, I totally missed it. This is probably a dumb question that can be chalked up to the same idiosyncracy that led to the infamous "If you want my opinion I'll ask ya" on MTV Spring Break. But I'm too curious not to ask if anyone knows anything about this peculiar lyric reworking. Thanks in advance.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

blueharvest
O'Jeezer

Post by blueharvest »

hahaha!
Dave gay? I don't think so. The original Tracks of my Tears was recorded by Smokey Robinson and the lyrics were about "another girl". Linda Ronstadt covered it and changed the lyrics to being about a guy. Dave may not have been familiar with the original or he may have thought it would be funnier to sing the Ronstadt version. I think he gets a kick out of it!
More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tracks_of_My_Tears

J

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Hm, I must have always thought he said "see me out with the other guys" as in hanging with his buddies, but then I'm pretty sure he usually says next "she may be cute" not, "he"... This isn't the only such case I've heard of. Eddie Vedder frequently changes the lyrics of I am a Patriot to "I was walking with my boyfriend/he looked so fine..." I don't know why, and never really questioned it either. Consider that chicks often cover songs written from the guy's perspective, and I rarely hear them change it to a more hetero perspective.

g8trcarol
Caged Rat

Post by g8trcarol »

Well, the song "Beth" by Kiss, describes the conflict of hanging out with the guys in the band instead of being with his lady, so I can see that...but maybe he is just being "Politically forward" by NOT switching the gender in the lyrics (which, as you pointed out, were already once switched). Interesting, yes, but I wish we could hear from the horse's mouth! Dave, you checking any of your fan mail?

Peace,
Carol

PS
It doesn't bother my daughter a bit to sing "Girls, Girls, Girls!" Of course, she was three when she started to sing along...

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

going through and listening to a bunch of covers, i've never heard him switch the gender orientation to reflect it from a guys point of view. he always just seems to sing it the way he heard it. why change it? it's a song. I've never heard "tracks of my tears" sung by a man, so i had no idea that the orientation had already been switched to be from a girls point of view...i'd only ever heard it sung by a woman and clearly that's the version dave was covering.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

Quoth Paula: "Haha, he sings it the way he used to sing it in the car when it was on the radio in the 70's!"

Good point..when singing along with some song on the radio, does anyone change the orientation? Not generally. When singing someone elses song you just sing their song.

pathorses
O'Jeezer

Covers

Post by pathorses »

God, I must really be old as dirt......."Tracks of my Tears" is a Smokey Robinson song, period. Not that it can't be covered (and covered well), but that's the only way I remember it!

In a message dated 2/21/2008 10:56:49 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, forum_general@enterthesoulasylum.com writes:
going through and listening to a bunch of covers, i've never heard him switch the gender orientation to reflect it from a guys point of view. he always just seems to sing it the way he heard it. why change it? it's a song. I've never heard "tracks of my tears" sung by a man, so i had no idea that the orientation had already been switched to be from a girls point of view...i'd only ever heard it sung by a woman and clearly that's the version dave was covering.

We all Live in a Jello Shot Machine.

Delicious ideas to please the pickiest eaters. Watch the video on AOL Living.

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Re: Covers

Post by no1rockfan »

pathorses wrote:God, I must really be old as dirt......."Tracks of my Tears" is a Smokey Robinson song, period. Not that it can't be covered (and covered well), but that's the only way I remember it!
You are not as old as dirt! People nowadays don't know the power of old soul songs. Smokey Robinson rules!

pathorses
O'Jeezer

Re: Covers

Post by pathorses »

no1rockfan wrote:
pathorses wrote:God, I must really be old as dirt......."Tracks of my Tears" is a Smokey Robinson song, period. Not that it can't be covered (and covered well), but that's the only way I remember it!
You are not as old as dirt! People nowadays don't know the power of old soul songs. Smokey Robinson rules!
Thanks Gail!

g8trcarol
Caged Rat

Post by g8trcarol »

LOL, I was just discussing Smokey Robinson with one of my co-workers! I helped him create a "radio station" on Pandora by typing in "Sam Cooke". We were both pleasantly surprised by the results and he had a great trip down memory lane! He's about a decade or so ahead of me...but I grew up listening to my Dad's favorites...including Little Richard and Chuck Berry.